Steelhead & salmon smackdown--and drift boat sinking video

D
drdehave
Hello Fellow Salmonid Chasers:

This occurred a little south of you--in the Klamath River drainage (Trinity River, actually). But I thought you might get a kick out of the old 8mm, fishing & drift-boat sinking video, from back when this was all I did... Now, I've found airplanes, and that's all I do (as it relates to fishing, that is)!

And, hey, if you ever come fish down in this area, too, it gives you a float trip you might want to look into.

Rich (Davis, CA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyy...ew-vl&list=PLxp4zs0Q0FrMDafR2beF9Ezm3CDM8arRk

D
drdehave
Note the old light-weight Valco boat that went through quite easily. Then, my buddy, on the oars for the first time in his brand new Alumaweld (a much heavier boat), asked me to take his through. Big mistake,...it was too heavy and unmanueverable. I put her down quickly.

Then, the real insult occurred as all five of us loaded into the Valco for the ride to the take-out (we came back next morning with gear to pull the sunk boat out). As we rounded the last bend, two native Americans were sitting atop the big ice chest you see floating away--drinking the last of our cold beer!

hobster
hobster
Cool video. Man that's some sketchy looking water, gotta have some balls to want to attempt that!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Very cool video!! It had me yelling no, no, no, when the water was starting to pour in.

Chromatose
Chromatose
1987, 8mm film. No Cell Phones and Fishing for SteelHead--Good Times! Very nice views you have there...........What Craft are you Flying in?

D
drdehave
The airplane is a Light Sport type of airplane (a two-seater, with "fixed gear," that cannot weight more than 1320 lbs by law, loaded with two people and fuel), made in the Czech Republic, called a Sting Sport. But it will cruise all day long at 130 mph, getting 22 mpg on premium auto gas. For over 1/2 century I couldn't stay out of boats--and every kind of fishing known to man. Now, I can't stay out of this thing!

Chromatose
Chromatose
I thought it looked like a Ultra light, but not one I have seen............Czech Republic might just be the reason. What is the ceiling a Craft like that? I took notice of the O2 bottle is the reason I ask. Nothing like jumping feet first into things a person wants to do, Pun intended. Looks like a Blast.

D
drdehave
This one is not an ultralight, which are generally "experimentals (often owner-built)," and which the owner can work on. The FAA name is Light Sport Aircraft--or LSA. It is a factory-built airplane certified so by the FAA, which the owner can only do certain "preventive maintenance" items on. LSAs are limited to 10,000 ft MSL or highest obstacle (in your path) + 2,000 ft; I've been to 12,500, but have friends who have cruised at 14,500. When you have been living at sea level for a long time, especially at my age (68), and start going up and above 10,000, you need O2 so you don't become stupid (hypoxia) and a crash statistic (I nearly did that stunt at Lake Tahoe one year ago). I took my first flight lesson (didn't know how airplanes flew) on my 65th birthday and have flown her 1,000 hours now.

If you are interested in learning more about this airplane, go to my channel and click the "How To" playlist--then, the next-to-last video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0avm_9h4lpS5sIcQaBCQ_A

B
Bswe22
Cool video!!! Now everybody knows what "not" to do....lol...At least you were able to just hop out onto that boulder!!!!

Chromatose
Chromatose
Thank you for the link. Better view of the Craft.............Nope NOT a Altralight! Got to love the whole plane Parachute though.

Last edited:
I
Igor
Rich,

Outstanding video ... makes me miss pushing the throttle forward and steering with your feet. Have not done so in over 20 years. I really like the concept of LSA's, will have to look into that.

Thank you for posting!
Les