Steelhead/salmon catch reports

B
burlajohnny
Hey everyone! Has there been any steelhead or salmon catch reports so far on the Clackamas River? I went out fishing Saturday but with no luck. Please, if anyone catches a steelhead or salmon on the Clackamas recently, please post on this thread. My intention is to have this thread helpful with ONLY catch reports soother people can see this. Thanks a lot, and anything helps! :D

S
steelie_killa
steelies are being caught, report has it that nooks been caught up at rivermill dam...your best chances is to fish at the crack of dawn thats when theyre biting, so good luck to who ever wants to take a crack at it.

O
OnTheDrop
Sitting on the computer waiting for "Reports" isn't going to catch you fish. Yes, there is fish being caught in the Clackamas. Both Nooks and Steelhead. June is a peak month. Now get out there before it's over....

B
burlajohnny
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Sitting on the computer waiting for "Reports" isn't going to catch you fish. Yes, there is fish being caught in the Clackamas. Both Nooks and Steelhead. June is a peak month. Now get out there before it's over....

Where should I go? Also, what's a nook? Sorry, I'm kinda new at all this...Also, im going over near the Clackamas river highway in Oregon city on Friday.

B
burlajohnny
steelie_killa said:
steelies are being caught, report has it that nooks been caught up at rivermill dam...your best chances is to fish at the crack of dawn thats when theyre biting, so good luck to who ever wants to take a crack at it.

where is this rivermill dam? I can't find it on google maps...

O
OnTheDrop
A nook is a Chinook. Since you are just starting the easiest way to get familiar with the water would be to use a spoon or spinner. There really isn't any bad spots on the Clackamas. Fish are in most areas throughout the year.

M
MattZ
Swung some flies this morning for steel up at Mc Iver. lots of people around. I caught a ton of trout, but nothing bigger than that.

S
Silvers&Steelies
For being a new guy on the Clackamas you should go up to McIver park by the hatchery. Watch some people at the hatchery hole and throw some lures in the water. Theres usually friendly people that can give you tips and don't get too frustrated. I usually fish jigs then switch to spoons and spinners up there. If you're learning all by yourself it might be good to pony up some money for a guided trip and ask them all kinds of questions and observe what they do to read the water. Right now is the time to fish and up there is nicer without all of the kids and boats like the lower river.

T
troutmasta
A nook is a small place in the rocks that you find by walking around and discovering. Go around Estacada.

Reactions: MattZ
B
burlajohnny
troutmasta said:
A nook is a small place in the rocks that you find by walking around and discovering. Go around Estacada.

Alright! I will do so on friday and saturday!

P
perfectg03
Pretty sad help you received here. If you go up by Estacada you will get lost, wondering "where the heck do I go". The only hole worth fishing above estacada is at the deadline. Take the road to Faraday and park in the little pull out across the street from PGE (before you get to Faraday lake parking area). Walk down along the fence and follow the trail (you will see it), don't take the gravel road to the right after you get to the end of the fence, stay left and follow the fenceline/trail down to the river.

I would spend your time at McIver park. You will find the best water, most access, and most people there willing to give you a hand or two. Get there before sunrise and have you line in the water at first legal light.

Good luck.

B
burlajohnny
perfectg03 said:
Pretty sad help you received here. If you go up by Estacada you will get lost, wondering "where the heck do I go". The only hole worth fishing above estacada is at the deadline. Take the road to Faraday and park in the little pull out across the street from PGE (before you get to Faraday lake parking area). Walk down along the fence and follow the trail (you will see it), don't take the gravel road to the right after you get to the end of the fence, stay left and follow the fenceline/trail down to the river.

I would spend your time at McIver park. You will find the best water, most access, and most people there willing to give you a hand or two. Get there before sunrise and have you line in the water at first legal light.

Good luck.
wow thanks man....i know, right? So much for advise! Hey next time PM me about spots and stuff. If you want to know why, ill pm yiu and tell you....thanks a lot for your help, and that is what i call a golden post!

T
troutmasta
perfectg03 said:

Good luck.
Note what BurlaJonny said about the PM. Then just wonder if I sent him one saying the same thing about Faraday..:think:. (I did) Plus inticing him to walk up to cazadero. "Sad" is not the word I would use to describe the help he got. He didn't know what a nook was and now has info that took others years to discover. With out having to walk around in wet waders for days on end either.

However that walking around is half of it. Telling him to discover his own "nook" in the rocks is what its all about.

Also. The spot on the fence you speak of is packed with spawning fish right now. Id bump up or down the river a tad to avoid them that whole strecch is stacked not just the ones "stuck" at the deadline.

Tight Lines,
TM

Last edited:
O
OnTheDrop
perfectg03 said:

Good luck.

lol

B
burlajohnny
troutmasta said:
Note what BurlaJonny said about the PM. Then just wonder if I sent him one saying the same thing about Faraday..:think:. (I did) Plus inticing him to walk up to cazadero. "Sad" is not the word I would use to describe the help he got. He didn't know what a nook was and now has info that took others years to discover. With out having to walk around in wet waders for days on end either.

However that walking around is half of it. Telling him to discover his own "nook" in the rocks is what its all about.

Also. The spot on the fence you speak of is packed with spawning fish right now. Id bump up or down the river a tad to avoid them that whole strecch is stacked not just the ones "stuck" at the deadline.

Tight Lines,
TM
that's true troutmasta, you've helped me a lot! I take all advise!