Steelhead or rainbow trout?

T
TTFishon
kirkster said:
A steelhead and a rainbow trout are the same. The definition of a steelhead is a rainbow trout that ventures to salt water and returns to fresh water to spawn.

I think this is a bad definition. I think scientists can't figure the difference out and this definition is the best one they can decide on.

T
TTFishon
Do hatcheries use rainbow trout eggs for steelhead planting or use steelhead eggs for rainbow trout plantings?

T
Thuggin4Life
There is a video on oregon field guide showing small rainbows waiting for there chance to sneak in and help with the steelhead spawning.

H
halibuthitman
hatcheries use steelhead eggs... we all said the same obvious answer, steelhead and rainbows are the same... well kinda.. they don't call rainbows landlocked steelhead... something in the genetic make-up cause a steelhead to go to the salt, scientist don't know why. as a matter of fact scientist have absolutely no idea outside of speculation... how or why a salmonoid returns to its native river, and the more they study the more they are finding out that these fish arent exactly great at finding their native water... it is an enigma wrapped in a riddle. The answer is simple... this fish by length is a steelhead as per state regulations.. final. But myself I think this is a native rainbow, steel that has spent a while in a river tend to get black lips... and green-black on the top of the head, they darken considerably on the spine, and the rose cheek really turns red.... of course this fish is a stunning looking fish, but those b.b sized black freckles all the way down to the verry tip of the nose make it look just like a nugashik river rainbow, the size does'nt really mean much, manny of us have caught lots of 5-10 lb rainbows.. they are not as uncommon as people like to think.... but it is definitely a steel to a state trooper!

T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
There is a video on oregon field guide showing small rainbows waiting for there chance to sneak in and help with the steelhead spawning.

Do you happen to have a link to this video? I'd like to see it if possible.

kirkster
kirkster
TTFishon said:
The guy in the photo claims this fish is a steelhead but someone else in the article claims it's a hold over rainbow trout. It's hard for me to tell. What do you think?
This is a native steelhead from the link I posted earlier look at all these spots:lol: 799px-SteelheadRainbowTrout.jpg

T
TTFishon
halibuthitman said:
hatcheries use steelhead eggs... we all said the same obvious answer, steelhead and rainbows are the same... well kinda.. they don't call rainbows landlocked steelhead... something in the genetic make-up cause a steelhead to go to the salt, scientist don't know why. as a matter of fact scientist have absolutely no idea outside of speculation... how or why a salmonoid returns to its native river, and the more they study the more they are finding out that these fish arent exactly great at finding their native water... it is an enigma wrapped in a riddle. The answer is simple... this fish by length is a steelhead as per state regulations.. final. But myself I think this is a native rainbow, steel that has spent a while in a river tend to get black lips... and green-black on the top of the head, they darken considerably on the spine, and the rose cheek really turns red.... of course this fish is a stunning looking fish, but those b.b sized black freckles all the way down to the verry tip of the nose make it look just like a nugashik river rainbow, the size does'nt really mean much, manny of us have caught lots of 5-10 lb rainbows.. they are not as uncommon as people like to think.... but it is definitely a steel to a state trooper!

I know hatcheries use steelhead eggs, but for what? For steelhead or for trout? I mean do they use steelhead eggs for planting some high mountain lake? Probably not, but rather, why not if they are one in the same. I'm sure they don't use high mountain lake rainbow trout stock for planting steelhead in a river system. There has to be a difference. The answer is not simple it's only simplified for the regulators to regulate.
I find it interesting that you think this fish is a native rainbow. If true that would be awesome and quite a feat considering the river it was caught in. And yes it's definitely a steelhead to a state trooper.

H
halibuthitman
Well now that there is a picture of an actual steelhead added to this thread compare... fish in question has absolutly no spots on any of its fins below its bow' also, no spots below its bowon its side or belly and its green is a completely different color green.... If I could pull a bow out of the Madison river right now and layed it next to this fish... it would be obvious, so if anyone is smarter than me could you find an artical with a madison river bow on the net... pull the pic and paste it here... I simply lack the ability, I know I sound like Im arguing, but I don't intend to... this is actually the most interesting thread in a month to me, and a fish i.d test from H*&l!

H
halibuthitman
sooooo what river is it? you seem to be eluding that..... I understand though if its priveleged info.

T
TTFishon
kirkster said:
Rainbow trout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is alink and the definition of a rainbow trout.

The thing about Wikipedia is anyone can change it. Wikipedia administrators may correct the change, but until then.... I do not know if the info is true or not. It's not the most reliable source of information.

H
halibuthitman
TTFishon said:
The thing about Wikipedia is anyone can change it. Wikipedia administrators may correct the change, but until then.... I do not know if the info is true or not. It's not the most reliable source of information.

well... its as acurate as Fox News! :lol::lol::lol::D:lol:;):

T
TTFishon
halibuthitman said:
well... its as acurate as Fox News! :lol::lol::lol::D:lol:;):

You got that right. lol

T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
Care to share the name of the res. above?

Sorry, but for now I am keeping this a secret.

J
Jacks Tackle
It looks like a spawned out steelhead based on the color of the fish and the belly looks well deflated.

Looks like some of the late April runbacks on the coast.

RB

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
Well now that there is a picture of an actual steelhead added to this thread compare... fish in question has absolutly no spots on any of its fins below its bow' also, no spots below its bowon its side or belly and its green is a completely different color green.... If I could pull a bow out of the Madison river right now and layed it next to this fish... it would be obvious, so if anyone is smarter than me could you find an artical with a madison river bow on the net... pull the pic and paste it here... I simply lack the ability, I know I sound like Im arguing, but I don't intend to... this is actually the most interesting thread in a month to me, and a fish i.d test from H*&l!

And I thought you would'a picked the Chuck Norris thread!:lol:

Seriously, I'm a bit confused. We all know about the 20' rule but I still think there must be a distinguishing difference between a trout that hangs out in the ocean for awhile and one that doesn't. Heck, my daughter had a teacher that once told the entire class that a steelhead is a salmon. I disagree with that but further reasearch indicated that it could be either way.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
nice fish, trout

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:

Here you go. This was the best I could find. Upper Madison rainbow.

Last edited by a moderator:
H
halibuthitman
Thanks mr on the fly! see the color of that fin... and the lack of spots on it.. this fish does have a lot of lower half spots but if we could see its midsection they would get considerably thinner or dissapear... I bet we could not get 3 biologist to agree on an i.d on our mystery fish.... but Im sticking with native rainbow... and guess its about time for me to let this go, I hope we get some more interesting post like this one. thanks tt.:cool: The fish Im holding in my avatar is a fall fish I caught in may 300 yards from the salt.... the thing looks like its already been smoked.

Last edited:
kirkster
kirkster
TTFishon said:
Whatever dude, Search whatever site is reliable but steelhead are rainbow trout. Born in fresh water, live there life in salt water, and return to fresh water to spawn. This info has been around before wikipedia or even computers all together. any how you all have fun with this I'm gonna go catch some fish:lol: