Steelhead counts?

T
Tred
So does anyone believe the numbers are going to magically change? I am starting to think its going to be a tough steelhead summer run with numbers being so low. Looks like I might have to learn to catch stinky salmon. Are they stacked somewhere waiting for water temp. etc. to move up river?

E
eugene1
3,210 by May 5th. Looks like better than some years but worse than others to me, so kinda average.

They'll keep coming up all summer though, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Best,

S
steelhead_stalkers
May and June are the best months for steelhead movement so I would not worry. The Salmon on the other hand I would worry about. The fishing below the falls is all but over and it was hard for most fishing down there. So numbers don't look good. There was a derby in Oregon City about a week ago and 17 boats only got one Salmon! These were good guides fishing too. The only positive for us up river guys is that most guides and people below the falls lost over 50% of the fish they hooked!

Y
Yogidabear
steelhead_stalkers said:
May and June are the best months for steelhead movement so I would not worry. The Salmon on the other hand I would worry about. The fishing below the falls is all but over and it was hard for most fishing down there. So numbers don't look good. There was a derby in Oregon City about a week ago and 17 boats only got one Salmon! These were good guides fishing too. The only positive for us up river guys is that most guides and people below the falls lost over 50% of the fish they hooked!

And 95%they tried to land to sea lions

R
rippin fish lips
Yogidabear said:
And 95%they tried to land to sea lions
haha right!

B
bran_man
Its not the numbers I'm worried about, its the weather! This early in the year and its already this hot and low!? Its going to be even worse than last year... All those lock jawed fish that went bad.... :/

Y
Yogidabear
I would like to go back to my winter fishing if that's the case.

R
rippin fish lips
Yogidabear said:
I would like to go back to my winter fishing if that's the case.

That is what i have been thinking about a lot lately. Winters haha! Those fish got me seriously addicted to small steams with big fish!!

This low water with odd weather sure is making it hit n miss. And i believe Brandon is right about the lock jawed fish that will start biting when they turn nasty... Just like last year.

J
joem
rippin fish lips said:
That is what i have been thinking about a lot lately. Winters haha! Those fish got me seriously addicted to small steams with big fish!!

This low water with odd weather sure is making it hit n miss. And i believe Brandon is right about the lock jawed fish that will start biting when they turn nasty... Just like last year.

thats what the 6 ft leader with corki and yarn is for right? every one is already usin that. but i like these lock jaw fish cause when it rains a little more (hopefully) it will be slaughter fest up there with every steel head in the system biting. thats what i believe happened when we had that good week. the fish were here just needed some sun to get them to bite, we got it and they went on the bite. ill be fishing for salmn soon so you guys can keep the nasty rusted up steelhead.

S
steelhead_stalkers
joem said:
ill be fishing for salmn soon so you guys can keep the nasty rusted up steelhead.
I think you have lost your mind! The summer steelhead around here are very bright! The Springers on the other hand will be dark and rusty looking. Have fun with the darkies! :lol:

B
bigsteel
joem said:
thats what the 6 ft leader with corki and yarn is for right? every one is already usin that. but i like these lock jaw fish cause when it rains a little more (hopefully) it will be slaughter fest up there with every steel head in the system biting. thats what i believe happened when we had that good week. the fish were here just needed some sun to get them to bite, we got it and they went on the bite. ill be fishing for salmn soon so you guys can keep the nasty rusted up steelhead.
all fish are biters when your using a 6 foot leader

L
LilCorky
Well they changed they are getting further behind last years run and getting worse. They are behind as much as what has came over. It's going to be a slow year I think but that's just me. Less Salmon less Summer and Winter Steelhead and not turning around yet. Surprised they haven' shut down Salmon fishing yet. Got to believe the wild numbers are bad too.

D
DYJ
I don't look at numbers when they are depressing like that, just get out and enjoy time on the water. Every season is different and like Joem said, there is enough fish in the system that when the bite is on you'll get one. There was less then 1000 fish over the damn in March and between my group of 5 good fishing buddies we boated 7 metal heads in 1 week. The bite was on that week

Last edited:
J
joem
DYJ said:
I don't look at numbers when they are depressing like that, just get out and enjoy time on the water. Every season is different and like Joem said, there is enough fish in the system that when the bite is on you'll get one. There was less then 1000 fish over the damn in March and between my group of 5 good fishing buddies we boated 7 metal heads in 1 week. The bite was on that week

Well this year I have already caught more steelhead then I did last year. And im seeing more fish than I'm hooking.

C
Carothers
The fishing is so horrible this year, I'm giving up on leaburg. The flossers are already out in force, and the fish are few and far between. No reason to go up there and get myself all worked up haha. I'm just gonna put more money and effort into scouting for archery season. Might hit the Willamette in town a little bit to get away from the idiots and find a fish that actually bites and hasn't had 100 chunks of pencil lead bounced off its head.

B
bran_man
Carothers said:
The fishing is so horrible this year, I'm giving up on leaburg. The flossers are already out in force, and the fish are few and far between. No reason to go up there and get myself all worked up haha. I'm just gonna put more money and effort into scouting for archery season. Might hit the Willamette in town a little bit to get away from the idiots and find a fish that actually bites and hasn't had 100 chunks of pencil lead bounced off its head.

the run is just now starting to get in full force...its still even a little early.

Last edited:
R
rippin fish lips
bran_man said:
the run is just now starting to get in full force...its still even a little early.

Hey now... that is okay, Another rock for us! hahahaha