St Louis Ponds crappie

C
Crappie Crazy
Has anyone had any success with catching crappie out at St. Louis Ponds??? Heading out with my sister tomorrow looking forward to being outdoors. New member and my first post, thank you in advance, we hope to share our catch with pictures and a story.. Crappie Crazy!

W
wozniasm
Welcome to the forum!
I haven't fished for them there but others I've seen did well with a bobber and worms.
Now it's not too deep so I'd say have your hook about a foot and a half below your bobber.
Let us know how you did!

Reactions: Crappie Crazy
C
Crappie Crazy
Thanks Woz, been visiting the forum for a while just for a look, decided it was time to join, ask a few questions and see where it'd take me. Friendly folk to my appreciation and I will report back whatever the outcome....Crappie Crazy.

W
wozniasm
You signed up for the best of the best in forums!
I've learned so much from this crowd and am sure you will too!

B
Big3d
I've caught them in pond 6 and 7, they like small spinners fished slow in 7, only worm And bobber in pond 6, beware the tiny bluegill though

K
kiplarson
Every time I go I am told the crappie are in pond 5 but I've only ever been skunked there. If you fish roosters in 6 you'll find the LMB. Venture out past the power-bait crowd for best results. I saw something jump in pond 6 that was EASILY 2 ft long. I am guessing it was one of the monster cats that allegedly lurk below.

H
huabrandon
Yeah, using worms will bring in ALL the bluegill. Try some crappie jigs with a jig head. Cast and real in slowly. You never know, might get a bass too!

H
Hawk
In some other ponds/lakes I've caught crappie on shallow diving Rapala lures.......or yellow or pink crappie jigs from the boat.

Best of Luck....:)

J
jlayman0270
Don't forget feather jigs and/or curly tail grubs -the littler the better- using the drop shot technique. Those ponds are perfect for crappie and all sunfish "hunters"... it will a successful day if you take a quiet approach to the pond, cast no shadows and make no sudden movements. Soft cast into a lay down in a sunny spot, or on the edges of weedbeds in the shade. Use shy bite type bobbers with your drop shot rig to really crank up the action! Don't forget to work those docks, too. Those are over pressured fish and they can spot a poor presentation a mile away. Use ultra light tackle. There are monster fish in there, no doubt, but they are very sketchy.

I love that place. Pack a lunch, and wander around. :dance: