Fishing at St. Louis Ponds

G
Gomez24
Any one been out there lately?
Heard pond 6 is the spot, but the times I been out there its been slow, couple bites nothing big.
what yall been using and what yall fishing for?

G
Gomez24
And havent seen anything bout stocking this place up either.

18406ej
18406ej
Gomez,

I have not been there for years but I am pretty sure that it is a PowerBait place...The ponds were stocked for the summer in early April.

EJ

W
wozniasm
Gomez24 said:
And havent seen anything bout stocking this place up either.

Somewhat surprized that the schedule indicates the last stock in the week of April 2-6 but no additional stockings scheduled.
That may be a typo.

G
Gomez24
couple ppl say the weekend before memorial day, (i think) they will be stocking with trout but not sure

M
Modest_Man
The ponds are too shallow and get to warm to sustain trout through the summer.

P
PNW Sam
Ditch the trout gear and go for warmwater species. I've been killing the crappie and caught some decent bluegills as well. You can easily have 5 dozen fish days, just fish a 1" piece of worm under a bobber, sight fish the 'gills and crappie or fish the cover if they aren't suspended up high. Seen a lot of very nice bass in the 6 pound range, just cruising. Caught one small guy on a topwater diving plug. Fish the cover. I've just been C&R, haven't been inclined to kill anything yet. Worms are best, but "crappie nibbles" also work well, they just get stolen every cast. Thread the worm on your hook like a tube, it should last a few fish.

I don't see why anyone would still want to fish for the tiny 9 inch trout they put in that warm bath water during the Spring.

G
Gomez24
PNW Sam - Yeah those ponds are filled with bluegill and crappie, i did have luck a while back with worms I shall try it out again. what do you use for bass,like what gets them bitting more? any idea

G
Gomez24
Modest_Man - what would you say is a good spot to go fishing for trout?

P
PNW Sam
Catch bass on a bigger piece of worm, or fish topwater plugs around cover that is in shade.

This week will probably be the last week or two for trout. The water has been very very warm, and it warms up really fast.

G
Gomez24
PNW Sam - Thanks I will have to try that out and see what the out come is.

M
Modest_Man
Gomez24 said:
Modest_Man - what would you say is a good spot to go fishing for trout?

Stocker trout around Woodburn? Probably Salem area. I fish catch and release in the rivers, or alpine lakes.

K
kiplarson
I was there a couple days ago. There was some alleged stocking and about a half dozen trout hounds were sitting on a couple of stockers each. They were all congregated on the west bank of Pond 6. I scored 4 bluegill there, nothing special. I got a couple of strikes in pond 5 which were likely BG, zilch in Pond 4, Pond 3, and Pond 2. Was fishing worms off the top, bottom, spinner bait and eventually with a modified carolina rig. Midday, hot, and after 3 hours I threw in the towel.

F
fish4life1782
They stocked pond #6 about a week and half ago..small number of stockers and trophy trout..wiped out that weekend..they just refilled pond 3 and 2 rumor is there gonna stock it again..good catfish and bass being caught..biggest so far is a 5.5lb.i catch and release only and live close so fish there a lot.been killing them on topwater and rubber worms..also they just put in a 80 ft long x 30ft "T" dock in today!not happy about that but is what is.good luck and tight lines.

Reactions: PNW Sam
K
kiplarson
I am looking for bass, primarily..I heard that Pond 4 was the "spot", but I didn't get any action. Was using rubber worms on a modified c-rig. How to you use them there? Thanks for the info fish4life!

F
fish4life1782
kiplarson said:
I am looking for bass, primarily..I heard that Pond 4 was the "spot", but I didn't get any action. Was using rubber worms on a modified c-rig. How to you use them there? Thanks for the info fish4life!

I have caught a couple in pond 4..seen some big bass in there also but they seemed really tight lipped for some reason..I fish ponds 2,3,5,4 and 7 every now and then for bass.i fish rubber worms either Texas rigged or wacky rig weightless.look for bass along the banks as close as a foot and no further then 6 feet out.would post pics but have trouble for some reason on here...if you want to see pics check me out on instagram @ds1782..my profile pics Is also from st Louis..I'll be out there this evening.hope this helps and good luck..

M
Messymitch
Just started fishing out there recently and have caught a fair amount of Bass and some good size Blue Gills (LOL) in the two ponds furthest south (Not sure the pond numbers). The ponds are kind of a walk from the first parking lot you come across on the right (not the main parking lot with the caretakers i's the one right before that). I use a gold Panther Martin lure if I go back there to fish. Other than that was trying my luck for those trophy trout in pond 6 a couple weeks after they stocked, late to the game, and had no luck. I tried a bunch of different setups but still a no go.

The nice thing about fishing those two ponds is nobody ever goes out that far.

F
fish4life1782
Messymitch said:
Just started fishing out there recently and have caught a fair amount of Bass and some good size Blue Gills (LOL) in the two ponds furthest south (Not sure the pond numbers). The ponds are kind of a walk from the first parking lot you come across on the right (not the main parking lot with the caretakers i's the one right before that). I use a gold Panther Martin lure if I go back there to fish. Other than that was trying my luck for those trophy trout in pond 6 a couple weeks after they stocked, late to the game, and had no luck. I tried a bunch of different setups but still a no go.

The nice thing about fishing those two ponds is nobody ever goes out that far.

I think I know what pond your talking about..I went this evening they did stock the pond..not too many people.spent alil under an hour got 13 trout couple decent sized ones..plunking power eggs on the bottom but seen spinners and bait under a float was also doing just as good.decide to spend the last hour of daylight fishing for bass.caught 5 bass biggest about 4 pounds ..a friend of mine did hook up with a good size bass and wrapped and snap his 8lb braided line.pretty good for a couple hours fishing.

FYI the ODFW is hosting a family fishing event from 9am to 2pm this was in the statesmen journal yesterday..good luck & Tight lines..;)