Spinners for all occassions?

K
Kage
So I've come to realize that I mainly use spinners for all my fishing. About 98% of the time I'm using spinners. So my question really is, is it possible to catch all types of fish on spinnersd or maybe what fish can't be caught on a spinner? I'm gonna try spinners for salmon and steelhead just cuz I really like usin spinners, I haven't read up on techniques and gear for catchin them so I'm stickin to what I know atm

C_Run
C_Run
Can I make a suggestion which would be to not get tunnel vision over the spinners? I am guilty of it. What worked last time should work next time, but that doesn't hold true. I always carry two rods rigged differently when bank fishing. I saw one guy with five rods bank fishing for steelhead last April which seemed a bit excessive. At least you have an alternative to show the fish if the spinner isn't producing. Have more than one "go-to" method and be ready to change things up.

B
Born2Fish55
Kage said:
So I've come to realize that I mainly use spinners for all my fishing. About 98% of the time I'm using spinners. So my question really is, is it possible to catch all types of fish on spinnersd or maybe what fish can't be caught on a spinner? I'm gonna try spinners for salmon and steelhead just cuz I really like usin spinners, I haven't read up on techniques and gear for catchin them so I'm stickin to what I know atm

I am short of a Spinner nut myself....

I lean toward Blue Fox Spinners....

Winter Steelies and most Salmons will hit #5 or #6 in Black, Chartreuse, Neon Green, Fluorescent Orange, and Naturals (browns). I also replace all of my hooks with 'red' Gamagatsu Octopus Hook, 4xStrong, Straight Eye, Offset-Point. If I cannot locate them in 'red', I dip them in some of that cheap ladies nail polish (not the tip) and let them dry, then paint them with Sally Hansen's 'Hard-as-nails' clear coat. This type of painting make your lure and hook colors almost bullet proof, takes a lot of abuse before chipping off.

Fish them in the classic 'cast and let sink' technique then alternate your retrieve with twitches and little jerks, allowing the Spinner to flutter and you'll pry open the mouths of some of those 'lockjaw' fish. Seems to work much better than the normal 'slow retrieve and let spin' technique, however do not be afraid to change up your retrieve with that as well. Sometimes it's all about the 'angle of the dangle' that will stir up a bite!

If I can't get a bite on the Spinners, then I change up to 'Float-n-jig' fishing.... last go to is just a normal corkie-n-yarn with or without bait.

Last resort would be any color and size "DUPONT SPINNER".... however, everyone seems to frown on using them.

K
Kage
hey c_run, thanks for the advice, yah I know the same technique/style won't work 100% of the time every time, thanx for reminding me not to be strictly a one dimensional fisherman haha. I've only got 1 rod atm so for me it's having to setup my rod every time I want to change it up haha Eventually I'll get a second rod w/ a different setup on it. For the time bein I'm gonna stick to spinners because basically that's all I have for now. I'll just work with what I've got til i can afford a second rod and pick up some new tackle :D Oh thanx a bunch for the tip Born2Fish, yah I've got a few Blue Foxes, most of the Oregon waters has my other ones -_- I was actually wondering what size would work for steelies and salmon so now I know :D I'll be looking to try out your advice when I get a chance. Thanx again u guys for the help :D

J
JeannaJigs
I've realized giant spinners can catch fish in low clear water if you make a fish angry enough. Sometimes though throwing something smaller can be effective in high pressure areas. Don't be afraid to experiment with different sizes and different colors. I don't use spinners enough, and really they're so simple. Tie on and toss. No nasty bait hands, no complicated diver set up, no float set up...simplicity. It's nice.

W
willm350
Im with you born I love the blue foxes!

I don't do as much stealhead/salmon fishing as I would like to, I just caught my first steelie 2 years ago. I got my tags, called a buddy up and we went out, on my third cast (using a chartreuse size 3 blue fox) I caught a 9 lber. my buddie was using sand shrimp and never got a nibble. He being an avid angler shrugged it off as begginers luck. we went back the next day and after an hour I had a a 7 1/2 pounder. At this point he switched over to blue foxes too. After another 20 minutes I caught a 8 1/2 pounder. He still hadnt caught any fish and when I hooked that last one I will never forget the look on his face!!!! Almost a better feeling than landing that 3rd fish ......almost :)~
Ive been back to that spot about 20 times since then and got a few trout but never another steelie.
Tried the bigger sizes but could never keep them off the bottom without being out of breath from reeling so fast, lol . Are you in a boat when using the big ones?

I
idahojeff
Great info! I love Panther Martins for trout...tried and true for 20 years. Found out they make them in China, and I am switching to Wyld Edge(made in Tillamook) and Blue Fox. My brother swears by Blue Fox #4 for steelies...but to be honest, he is my younger brother(ha) and just getting into his fishing zen. Nothing like hiking in a new river for half the day tossing spinners....C & R with a few great pics.
Thanks again for your info.

B
bernduffy

"Winter Steelies and most Salmons will hit #5 or #6 in Black, Chartreuse, Neon Green, Fluorescent Orange, and Naturals (browns). "

B2F55, Which of these spinners is producing in this month's clear, high viz waters?

N
normanbeats
idahojeff said:
Great info! I love Panther Martins for trout...tried and true for 20 years. Found out they make them in China, and I am switching to Wyld Edge(made in Tillamook) and Blue Fox. My brother swears by Blue Fox #4 for steelies...but to be honest, he is my younger brother(ha) and just getting into his fishing zen. Nothing like hiking in a new river for half the day tossing spinners....C & R with a few great pics.
Thanks again for your info.
You could always make your own. I am making a few out of old spinner parts, and am thinking about just throwing whatever I think looks tasty on them. Maybe some soft plastic bodies, a tungston bead or two with nail polish for weight and extra noise.

H
halibuthitman
I like spinners for winters that have at least 3 colors on them, pink/white with brass is deadly, so are greens mixed with oranges, purple with black and blue, I use a custom spinner with 4 colors of green on it that is sick, but if I had to fish the same spinner in every condition for the rest of my life it would be white/pink mixed, for summers I love purple with the white instead of pink... solid red roostertails are also a big producer, on brite sunny days red and white kills pretty good... and sometimes solid yellow is where its at, especially if theres a lot of pressure, steel catch on to pink pretty quick on a saturday-

I
idahojeff
I do think the next step in my fishing evolution is to make my own spinners. Still looking for best part for my style. Not sure I would go soft plastic bodies...interesting thought. The more I read about them...its #4 and #5 silver/orange for winter run and smaller 2 and 3's in brass black/green for summers when gin clear water and sun on the water. All that being said...I still have not caught one!!!!!!!!!!!! SO frustrating!!!!!!! Just a matter of more info, more time on same water...I will win, oh yes, I will win!