Spinners and spoons on braid

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
I use a mono or dacron back on all my rigs depending on what the reel is used for. I prefer no hardware that can damage the eyes on my rods so I use anywhere between 5 to 10 feet of fluorocarbon tied to the braid with an FG knot. IMO, one of the coolest knots around and fun to tie. Amazingly strong and smallest of all the options too! I will use my trout rod for an example. Trolling and bottom fishing rod. 7 foot Ugly Stick Elite 6 to 14, Shimano Solstice 2500, mono backing, 20 pound Power Pro Super Slick (Green) main line, with 10 pound STS Fluorocarbon bumper. I then tie my locking roller swivel to that and use a smaller fluorocarbon leader to my hook or spinner or trolling gear. Usually between 4 to 6 pound test.

Just my .02.....

Cheers,

Chris

C
CastingCall
CastingCall said:
M use plenty of barrel swivels with braid Tony
let me clarify when I stated "plenty of" -----my useage of swivels -----barrel for drifting and bead chain for spinners Tony

S
SailCat
So, get comfortable and grab a cup of coffee'cause this is gonna be long-winded. Or skip to the next post if you're no in the mood for story time.

I had a friend I'll call Bill ('cause that was his name) with whom I decided to go into busuness despite all those stories recommending otherwise as doing so has been the demise of numberous friendships. Fortunately, we endured the experience. We opened a fishing tackle store we humly called Fishing Unlimited in McMinnville.

The local distributor took pity on us (thankfully) with the knowledge at that time that a couple of chain stores which also sold tackle would be our competition in this little town,. Hence, we got some of the first Okuma reels as well as early shipments (and exclusive dealership - for a whi9le) of Power Pro line. The Okuma Reels were a different animal in the early years, buit to sell cheaply. On every box it stated, :Sense of Power" which was changed in the following year to "Feel the Power" as the got the hang of translation to English. Regardless, they were a decent reel for a very reasonable cost. ;Thing is, we kept getting returns for faulty drags. As soon as we got a couple of Ambassadeurs back for the same reason, we reelized something was amiss. That's when we learned about properly affixing the line to the arbor when filling a reel with braid. I cm up with a speedier method involving Super Glue but it was nonetheless effective and stopped returns due to "faulty drags"

While I am well aware of the tenet regarding versatility and steelheading and, between writing about fishing and having been in the tackle business, Ive preached it more times that I could count. Do i practice it? Of course not. I fish spinners exclusively for summer steelhead and have done so pretty much since I started steelheading. I catch some fish that way, but that's not the point of this story. Due to an increase in sensitivity and more effective hooksets, I switched to braid for throwing spinners. The first summer I hooked (after switching) was a remarkable experience, as if I was wired directly to his nervous system. I recall ckearky the fish cartwheeling and spitting the lure, or rather, I pulled it out of his mouth. I know longer rods are in vogue but I prefer a 71/2 footer. I use a Loomis GLX Hotshot rod (which I couldn't have afforded at the time were we not Loomis dealers). The shorter, ultra fast-action rod coupled with the lack of stretch that braid afford was just too much. There was almost no give, no cushion when the fish jumped. I know to 'bow' to a fish but I can't bow enough to make up for the lack of line stretch combined with the rigidity of the rod. I was consistently pulling lures loose, so went back to mono and fished happily ever after.

Regarding swivels, even without creating a leader to use with braid, as a disciple of Jed Davis, I'll take a length of line from the reel so I can put a swivel a couple of feet above the spinner. Increased feel, decreased twist, what's not to like? If you're still with me, thanks. I'll try for the Reader's Digest version next time.

F
Fin_and_Fur
Well I did some testing on the braid. It did everything I thought it was going to do (#20). I felt more when twiching jigs. The best thing was the ease of mending line when float fishing. It was like night and day not having to deal with the strech, and it floats better, resulting in longer and more controlled drifts. I did experience the tip wrap that was spoke of in here. An opportunity cost that I am willing to deal with. In short, I'm a believer. But to each his own. Try it, you might like it.

S
SailCat
Fin_and_Fur said:
Well I did some testing on the braid. It did everything I thought it was going to do (#20). I felt more when twiching jigs. The best thing was the ease of mending line when float fishing. It was like night and day not having to deal with the strech, and it floats better, resulting in longer and more controlled drifts. I did experience the tip wrap that was spoke of in here. An opportunity cost that I am willing to deal with. In short, I'm a believer. But to each his own. Try it, you might like it.

Absolutely, FaF! I wouldn't float fish any other way and have 80-pound braid loaded on my Chinook bobber (spinning) reel. I can see the advantage with Twichin' Jigs as well although I have yet to try them. With the gear I use to fish spinners (per the OP's question), It's too unforgiving. It may work great for those using a rod with a softer action.

hobster
hobster
SailCat said:
So, get comfortable and grab a cup of coffee'cause this is gonna be long-winded. Or skip to the next post if you're no in the mood for story time.

I had a friend I'll call Bill ('cause that was his name) with whom I decided to go into busuness despite all those stories recommending otherwise as doing so has been the demise of numberous friendships. Fortunately, we endured the experience. We opened a fishing tackle store we humly called Fishing Unlimited in McMinnville.

The local distributor took pity on us (thankfully) with the knowledge at that time that a couple of chain stores which also sold tackle would be our competition in this little town,. Hence, we got some of the first Okuma reels as well as early shipments (and exclusive dealership - for a whi9le) of Power Pro line. The Okuma Reels were a different animal in the early years, buit to sell cheaply. On every box it stated, :Sense of Power" which was changed in the following year to "Feel the Power" as the got the hang of translation to English. Regardless, they were a decent reel for a very reasonable cost. ;Thing is, we kept getting returns for faulty drags. As soon as we got a couple of Ambassadeurs back for the same reason, we reelized something was amiss. That's when we learned about properly affixing the line to the arbor when filling a reel with braid. I cm up with a speedier method involving Super Glue but it was nonetheless effective and stopped returns due to "faulty drags"

While I am well aware of the tenet regarding versatility and steelheading and, between writing about fishing and having been in the tackle business, Ive preached it more times that I could count. Do i practice it? Of course not. I fish spinners exclusively for summer steelhead and have done so pretty much since I started steelheading. I catch some fish that way, but that's not the point of this story. Due to an increase in sensitivity and more effective hooksets, I switched to braid for throwing spinners. The first summer I hooked (after switching) was a remarkable experience, as if I was wired directly to his nervous system. I recall ckearky the fish cartwheeling and spitting the lure, or rather, I pulled it out of his mouth. I know longer rods are in vogue but I prefer a 71/2 footer. I use a Loomis GLX Hotshot rod (which I couldn't have afforded at the time were we not Loomis dealers). The shorter, ultra fast-action rod coupled with the lack of stretch that braid afford was just too much. There was almost no give, no cushion when the fish jumped. I know to 'bow' to a fish but I can't bow enough to make up for the lack of line stretch combined with the rigidity of the rod. I was consistently pulling lures loose, so went back to mono and fished happily ever after.

Regarding swivels, even without creating a leader to use with braid, as a disciple of Jed Davis, I'll take a length of line from the reel so I can put a swivel a couple of feet above the spinner. Increased feel, decreased twist, what's not to like? If you're still with me, thanks. I'll try for the Reader's Digest version next time.

This i totally agree with. I was going to chime in earlier about mono but have discussed it before so didn't bother. I'm a Jed Davis diciple as well, old school and i believe mono is much better for spinners/spoons because it is thicker and doesn't cut through the water as much as braid. This allows the line to curve in the water and the spinner will swing the way it is suppossed to. I love braid for float fishing but still prefer mono to drift fish and spinner/spoon fish. Then again i'm no expert at spinner fishing but it works for me :thumb:

S
SailCat
What, no like button. OK. I'll do it the old fashioned way:

I like this, hobster! And sorry if I flogged a deceased equine critter. ;)

D
DrTheopolis
Spinners have been my primary technique for 20+ years. And I have no use for braid while fishing them. And I'll even go against the grain here, and say I have no use for swivels at any point in the rigging. And I've never had issues with line-twist. Tie it directly to the mainline.

To each their own.

S
SailCat
I thought you spood fed 'em, Dr. T. Was that not you who tried to advise me regarding spoon fishing while I argued that in my 205,7 years of spinner fishing, yada, yada .... But seriously, didn't we have that conversation? If not, you'll have to forgive me as I'm an old guy, subject to lapses of memory and imagining that waitress over there wonders if I'm single.

D
DrTheopolis
I've never been a spoon guy, but it's something I definitely want to learn... after I figure out this bobberdogging thing which I did for the first time last weekend, after some quick instructions (from guys you likely know)... which resulted in a missed takedown and zero fish for my effort.

S
SailCat
Yer right, of course, not that I can quite recall who it was but definitely an OFF member. Well almost for sure. :D

Yeah, some of the 'guys I know are pretty good angler-dudes. You'll get 'em next time. I still don't 'get' bobber doggin'

D
DrTheopolis
SailCat said:
I still don't 'get' bobber doggin'

I'm usually not one for the newest, latest, greatest technique, but so many people have been doing so well with it, and it seems like a good way to cover a lot of water out of a drifter, so I gave it a shot. Maybe another crack at it, then if I'm still not sold, I'll get all Old School... since I'm pretty sure people caught fish before bobberdoggin came along.

B
bubs
SailCat said:
I know to 'bow' to a fish but I can't bow enough to make up for the lack of line stretch combined with the rigidity of the rod. I was consistently pulling lures loose, so went back to mono and fished happily ever after.

This is an interesting point SailCat about accidentally horsing lures out with braid. I relied heavily on braid when spinner/spoon fishing this past Fall chinook season mainly because I missed a few hooksets, heartbreakers, early on, so I said enough of that. But then with braid, I pulled the hook out of a bunch of fish's mouths and ended up with a really terrible return on the season. I'm no amateur at playing fish, and I do use pretty rigid rods, but I never put 2 and 2 together about the braid contributing to this until I read your post.

So what's worse? Missing some hooksets because of the stretch of mono, or unwittingly horsing a hook out of a fish after fighting it for 10 minutes, possibly because of braid??? I'm gonna say the latter.

F
Fin_and_Fur
I'd rather have more hooksets any day. Maybe a new limber tip rod is in order, one can never have enough....

S
SailCat
bubs said:
So what's worse? Missing some hooksets because of the stretch of mono, or unwittingly horsing a hook out of a fish after fighting it for 10 minutes, possibly because of braid??? I'm gonna say the latter.

Agreed.

And regarding the suggestion to buy a different rod to replace my beloved Loomis HS9000 GLX, the one inscribed with my name as well as 'SailCat' by the manufacturer (Gary might have done this himself, ya never know), that is at the top of my list of things that ain't gonna happen.

S
SoiledWaders
I remember the good ol days when we'd use a stick and some string.

F
Fin_and_Fur
I found a little nail polish (from the daughter) on the line to line knot, makes for a little smoother cast and protects knots.

F
Fin_and_Fur
Oh yeah and Teflon pipe thread tape on the spool, couple wraps for thickness, no slippage.

S
SailCat
Fin_and_Fur said:
I found a little nail polish (from the daughter) on the line to line knot, makes for a little smoother cast and protects knots.

I do the same thing. Nail knot?

Fin_and_Fur said:
Oh yeah and Teflon pipe thread tape on the spool, couple wraps for thickness, no slippage.

Teflon to prevent slippage. New to me but if it works, great. I'll bet Dupont will be adding that usage to it's sales literature! :)

F
Fin_and_Fur
Uni to uni 8 wraps on braid 4 on fluoro I think 4 is strong than 5. I use a red nail polish (contrasting braid), when twitching it is like a indicator, just one more sense to add.

Someone mentioned a "FG" knot earlier, not sure what that is, maybe someone could enlighten me.