Spinners and spoons on braid

M
Mutiny
Anyone fish spinners and spoons on a braided line (spinning reel) ? I was thinking about upgrading from the 10 lb mono I have on there to 20 lb braid, but not sure how well it might perform. Thanks!!

T
Throbbit _Shane
If you do use braid I'd use a mono or fluorocarbon bumper. Don't want to snag braid in the river and break it off.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

T
TimberTodd
I tie on a couple of feet of mono or flourocarbon to the braid. If I get hung up and cannot free the spinner, it is much easier to break it off. In clear water I think it also helps in not spooking line shy fish.

C
CastingCall
M use plenty of barrel swivels with braid Tony

C
ChezJfrey
Yep, same as above...a few feet of mono attached to braid mainline for hardware.

T
taconight2night
Look up how to tie a double uni knot. That is how you attach a bumper :thumb:

S
Scott Mac
Like everyone else said, a swivel and a few feet of mono or fluorocarbon after the braid. The biggest problem I have experienced is wind knots in the braided line. Some brands are better than others. I have had good luck with P line and Tuff line XP.

Troutski
Troutski
Spool....

Spool....

Don't forget a few feet of mono on the spool before the braided line... trust me on this..

Chuck

B
Berg03
Troutski said:
Don't forget a few feet of mono on the spool before the braided line... trust me on this..

Chuck

Ya i learned that one on my first spool of braid. I was 16 at the time though :p

E
eat, sleep, fish
Just like everyone else has mentioned... add a barrel swivel with a foot or two of mono leader. It will help to keep line twist down, and if you get hung up you won't be leaving a bunch of braid in the river.

B
bubs
There are a couple holes I fish where I very rarely get snagged so sometimes I get lazy and just tie direct to braid. I mean, it works, and I catch fish and rarely get tangles, but like the others said, definitely not ideal in almost all situations.

Also, be careful when using barrel swivels not to destroy your rod tip by slamming the swivel against the last guide as you reel that last bit in! (Not that I've done that or anything)

T
taconight2night
I much prefer the double uni method (attaching the leader to the braid) with a barrel swivel to a split ring attached to the spinner. That knot is super strong and probably casts better than having a swivel a few feet up the line along with avoiding other problems like reeling a swivel through the guides on accident...

M
Mutiny
Definitely would use a mono or fluorocarbon leader, and I run swivels on all my hardware already.
Do any of you hardware fishers have a preference to braid vs. mono?

1 nut in the water
Mutiny said:
Definitely would use a mono or fluorocarbon leader, and I run swivels on all my hardware already.
Do any of you hardware fishers have a preference to braid vs. mono?

No question for me- MONO, braid has no stretch and not the same thrill when fighting larger fish.
Tying uni to uni in freezing or windy conditions is a B(*%$ and I cannot imagine fishing brushy rivers with a leader and barrel swivel where you cannot reel your hardware up to within a few inches of rod tip.

In my old age I do love the high vis braid for visibility but just had to find quality high vis mono. Being able to track your line is paramount when drifting spoons.
My 2 pennies but try it all and find what you like best.

Last edited:
U
upstate88
I went out today and dabbled with both spoons and spinners. I was using braid and used a 3.5' piece of mono held on with a uni knot. Now in all transparency I did not catch a darn thing ( I am new) but I tried using both a 8lb floro leader and 17lb high end mono. Both leaders worked fine but with the 17lb I actually noticed a bit better wobble with spoons and spinners.

I keep a spool of 17 in my bag for a couple odd ball reasons in case anyone was wondering.

G
Gannon
I run a mono backing to braid than to a mono leader using uni if drifting, and a swivel if current is swift.

P
pinstriper
bubs said:
There are a couple holes I fish where I very rarely get snagged so sometimes I get lazy and just tie direct to braid. I mean, it works, and I catch fish and rarely get tangles, but like the others said, definitely not ideal in almost all situations.

Also, be careful when using barrel swivels not to destroy your rod tip by slamming the swivel against the last guide as you reel that last bit in! (Not that I've done that or anything)

I always put a bead above the swivel for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Mutiny
Thanks for all the info! The main reason I was thinking about switching to braid was to be able to visually track the swing or drift of my hardware better, with the extra strength and smaller diameter as a bonus. Maybe a should think about a high vis mono instead?

E
eat, sleep, fish
Mutiny said:
Thanks for all the info! The main reason I was thinking about switching to braid was to be able to visually track the swing or drift of my hardware better, with the extra strength and smaller diameter as a bonus. Maybe a should think about a high vis mono instead?

Everyone has their own personal preference when it comes to mono vs braid. Braid adds strength, quicker hooksets, and longer casts but has problems with tip-wrap and no stretch on those extremely hot fish.

The best thing I could recommend is to give a high quality braid a chance, and see what you personally think. Personally I love Berkley's Tracer braid for just about everything.

F
Fin_and_Fur
I just swapped a spool over to braid today, because I twitch a lot of jigs. My main reasoning are; to better see my line where it enters the water and partially into water column, hopefully feel things better, long casts and lots of line means less stretch and better hook sets, increased strength and smaller diameter will have less impact from the current.

This is all hypothetical at this point, and I'm still justifying it to myself. Hopefully I get to do the testing part this week and everything plays out like it does in my head.