Spin fishing the Crooked today.

B
BrianW
I'm visiting family in Prineville this weekend, and wanted to do some fishing today, or tommorrow. I don't know how to fly fish, so I have my trusty spinning rod. Any tips for me? Lures, colors, places to go?

Thanks for any help. Hoping to show my father in law how to fish:lol:

Brian--

brandon4455
for spinners i would use small rainbow or black rooster tails and black panther martin with yellow dots and gold blade. IFBAIT IS ALLOWED: use a single hook on your spinner and tip it wih a nightcrawler
and you can also use flies under a bobber. try a woolly bugger under a clear adjust-a-bubble float in olive or black good luck,

brandon

B
BrianW
Thanks. That was kinda what I was planning. Figured I would use the Ultra light rod, and some little panther martins. Are there any "great" spots to look for? Figured I would just start walking, and see what I can see.:dance:

brandon4455
Thanks. That was kinda what I was planning. Figured I would use the Ultra light rod, and some little panther martins. Are there any "great" spots to look for? Figured I would just start walking, and see what I can see.:dance:

bigsteel could tell you where to go. walking up and down lookin for spots woild work im sure. sorry i couldn't help out on the spots. and welcome to the forum,

brandon

Last edited:
B
BrianW
Thanks. I found this forum two weeks ago when a buddy moved to Cottage Grove, OR. I also have a sis in law in Prineville, and one in Bend, so we spend some time up here, and everytime I visit, I try my best to catch some local trout. Finding this forum appears to be way better than talking to the guy that works at Bi-mart

brandon4455

ha. well this place is great im glad you find it helpful. if you have any questions just ask.. hope ya catch some big ones
all the best,

brandon

S
slimyguts
Careful with the ultralight stuff. There are some monster browns that can tear that stuff up.

S
spmpdr
Careful with the ultralight stuff. There are some monster browns that can tear that stuff up.

On the crooked? I have been fishing there almost a year now and havent seen a brown yet.

S
spmpdr

anywhere between the cattle guard and the dam, just pick a spot !!!!

S
spmpdr

Bait is not allowed now, but all the spinners and lures brandon suggested will work great. Do you have waders? I have had better luck wading than fishing the bank. The water is super cold now, I was just out there on thanksgiving.

brandon4455
Bait is not allowed now, but all the spinners and lures brandon suggested will work great. Do you have waders? I have had better luck wading than fishing the bank. The water is super cold now, I was just out there on thanksgiving.

i like fishing the undercut banks with a small black rooster tail during cold weather. it's buggy looking because the hackle on the hook plus the flash of the blade. i find fish tend to sit in the shallow water during cold weather and they like to hide next to the bank.

B
BrianW
Ended up never getting out to Prineville this weekend, instead I did some snow hiking along the deschutes river, and caught a couple browns. Good day all in all. You sure can't beat the Oregon streams

• trout3.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
brandon4455
Ended up never getting out to Prineville this weekend, instead I did some snow hiking along the deschutes river, and caught a couple browns. Good day all in all. You sure can't beat the Oregon streams

beautiful fish bro. i love the pattern on browns.. were you using spinners?

B
BrianW
Yep, just your run of the mill panther martins. Almost the only thing I throw. Works everytime

T
Throbbit _Shane
beautiful trout! i need to fish the deschutes one day

B
BrianW
Not gonna be able to fish today, headed back to California. Thanks for the advise. I'll be back

brandon4455
Not gonna be able to fish today, headed back to California. Thanks for the advise. I'll be back

no problem bro glad to see you had fun. talk to you later,

brandon