South Santiam Info. Needed

J
Jakeesmail
I am going up to a family reunion at Foster Res. this coming weekend. I would like to do some Steelheading on the S. Santiam, but have never fished up there. Maybe someone could give me some idea where to go and what you all use ? Thanks. I can trade for info on the Umpqua system if anyone is heading this way!!!
 
K
Kodiak
On the south side of the river is wiley park, just below the dam. There is a trail that heads downstream from the boat ramp. Follow this down to where the creek comes in. This area is known as Wiley Creek. A lot of fish will stack in that strech of river. It's a corky and yarn show, 4ft of six LB test. WARNING: Expect "salty" language, Occasional phisical confrontation, drunkeness, general retardation, and being snubbed by lowlifes that throw 10ft leaders and think "south mouthing" is OK. If you are the more civilized type I would head to the hatchery on the far side of the dam. This is a bobber and jig hole, set your depth to 4 ft and let her fly. Fish will be scattered from 5 ft OFF the bank to 100 ft. Get methodical, look for the nearly invisible seams and you will find the fish. (jig colors, black, pink, pink and white, red)

And Welcome to OFF!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 18406ej
18406ej
18406ej
I think Jakeesmail got more than he asked for. Thanks for being so helpful, Kodiak!
 
J
Jakeesmail
Thanks for the info. This sounds like more than a good place to start . They do a little combat fishing here on the North Umpqua too, if you get in the wrong area. Thanks again!
 
M
Mike123
Kodiak said:
On the south side of the river is wiley park, just below the dam. There is a trail that heads downstream from the boat ramp. Follow this down to where the creek comes in. This area is known as Wiley Creek. A lot of fish will stack in that strech of river. It's a corky and yarn show, 4ft of six LB test. WARNING: Expect "salty" language, Occasional phisical confrontation, drunkeness, general retardation, and being snubbed by lowlifes that throw 10ft leaders and think "south mouthing" is OK. If you are the more civilized type I would head to the hatchery on the far side of the dam. This is a bobber and jig hole, set your depth to 4 ft and let her fly. Fish will be scattered from 5 ft OFF the bank to 100 ft. Get methodical, look for the nearly invisible seams and you will find the fish. (jig colors, black, pink, pink and white, red)

And Welcome to OFF!!

Wow! I couldn't of said it better myself! I decided I'd fish Wiley yesterday.
But you got this well-known, old man down there that thinks he knows EVERYTHING there is to know about fishing. He literally had a 15ft. leader on!
Looks at me like I'm crazy for using a 4ft. leader! Guy above him hooked up 3 times, all three we're snagged in the back or the south mouth,(aka the A-hole). :lol:
From now on I'm sticking to the deadline. Wiley Creek fisherman are just to haggard for me.
Oh and if you bobber fish.. it's pretty dam shallow, also buy some 1/16oz. or smaller nightmare jigs. Find the deeper slots.
 
K
Kodiak
Mike123 said:
Wow! I couldn't of said it better myself! I decided I'd fish Wiley yesterday.
But you got this well-known, old man down there that thinks he knows EVERYTHING there is to know about fishing. He literally had a 15ft. leader on!
Looks at me like I'm crazy for using a 4ft. leader! Guy above him hooked up 3 times, all three we're snagged in the back or the south mouth,(aka the A-hole). :lol:
From now on I'm sticking to the deadline. Wiley Creek fisherman are just to haggard for me.
Oh and if you bobber fish.. it's pretty dam shallow, also buy some 1/16oz. or smaller nightmare jigs. Find the deeper slots.

Hmmm...8ft sounds like ED 15 ft. sounds more like Virgil, what did he look like?
 
C
Commodore S
Wiley?

Wiley?

Kodiak said:
Hmmm...8ft sounds like ED 15 ft. sounds more like Virgil, what did he look like?

Damn, didn't you get after me for sending someone to wiley? ED has been runnin 12-15ft. Still 14 months pregnant:lol: JK
Go down river, north side to church camp, string & dorkey's, and boobers & nightmares are real good there. And you don't have to deal with ED.
 
J
Jakeesmail
Fly and Bobber

Fly and Bobber

Anyone ever use a fly and bobber there? Ugly bugs , stone flys , etc. Thanks for all the information all!!!
 
K
Kodiak
Commodore S said:
Damn, didn't you get after me for sending someone to wiley? ED has been runnin 12-15ft. Still 14 months pregnant:lol: JK
Go down river, north side to church camp, string & dorkey's, and boobers & nightmares are real good there. And you don't have to deal with ED.

Just didn't want to get the poor guy killed. I know 2 yrs ago Ed lost his "mojo" but 15ft of leader is retarded, but then the smell of despration is stinky. I might have to make a trip this weekend over there and turn the boy loose with some spinners and show Ed whats up. That could end badly. Anyone seen Fish On! john or that Felon from bend he hangs out with?
 
V
VagrantAngler
Jakeesmail said:
Anyone ever use a fly and bobber there? Ugly bugs , stone flys , etc. Thanks for all the information all!!!

Not much of a Bug n Bubble show here inthe north. not like you boy's on the Umpua and Rogue. I got a couple of ugly bugs from a friend of mine in Medford back in June. They look great but I haven't been able to get one of our Yankee Steelies to take one
 
M
Mad dog
Ugly bugs!!! Man those things work well in the Rogue.
 
M
Mike123
Kodiak said:
Just didn't want to get the poor guy killed. I know 2 yrs ago Ed lost his "mojo" but 15ft of leader is retarded, but then the smell of despration is stinky. I might have to make a trip this weekend over there and turn the boy loose with some spinners and show Ed whats up. That could end badly. Anyone seen Fish On! john or that Felon from bend he hangs out with?

Yes, it was ol' man Ed. Still knows EVERYTHING about steelheading... like what time the truck is going to dump, what the best hooks are for snagging, and the best technique for lining fish is. I don't even see the reasoning for more than a 5ft leader????? Or even a 4ft.... If your line goes in a fish's mouth up at the 12ft marker of your 15ft line, your not ever gonna be able to get the hook to the fish's mouth with just one hook set. Down at Waterloo the other day I landed more fish than anyone else around me with just a 3.5ft leader. Every fish I hooked was inside the mouth and I never lost a fish.
Anyways.. I'd take Commodore's advice with the nightmare jigs though... seen tons of fish hooked on that pattern in mid to late summer. 1/16oz or smaller.
 

Similar threads

jamisonace
Replies
16
Views
549
Artwo
Artwo
RiverWalker
Replies
16
Views
981
RiverWalker
RiverWalker
The Guides Forecast
Replies
19
Views
3K
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
Replies
0
Views
149
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
Top Bottom