Some Starter Salmon Tips For Newbies!!!

K
KillFishEngage
I Fished For Salmon 22 Years, And When I Was Growing Up Things Were A Little Different.

Anyways, I Always Fished From Shore, (Lack Of A Boat....)
And I Would Usually Have An Abu Ambassadeur And My Kenai Killer, & 20 Lb. Ande Mono. I Got A Roll Of HOLLOW Core Lead And Ran My Main Line Through A Big Enough Piece, Throw On A Bead And Tie A Regular Swivel To It. Then I Grab Some Leader Of 15 Lb. Ande And Tie On A Hook With A Snelled Knot, Slip A Corky On (Your Choice As Far As Size And Color, But I Like The Chartreuse One The Best.) And Run A Toothpick Through The Corky About A Half Inch To An Inch And A Half Above Your Hook And Break The Rest Off.
Finally, Tie Your Finished Leader With Hook And Corky To The Other End Of Your Swivel.

You Have There A Sure Fire Fish Slayin' Rig.

Hope This Helps Ya Land More Fish, Til Next Time,
KFE

B
Bfishin
KillFishEngage said:
I Fished For Salmon 22 Years, And When I Was Growing Up Things Were A Little Different.

Anyways, I Always Fished From Shore, (Lack Of A Boat....)
And I Would Usually Have An Abu Ambassadeur And My Kenai Killer, & 20 Lb. Ande Mono. I Got A Roll Of HOLLOW Core Lead And Ran My Main Line Through A Big Enough Piece, Throw On A Bead And Tie A Regular Swivel To It. Then I Grab Some Leader Of 15 Lb. Ande And Tie On A Hook With A Snelled Knot, Slip A Corky On (Your Choice As Far As Size And Color, But I Like The Chartreuse One The Best.) And Run A Toothpick Through The Corky About A Half Inch To An Inch And A Half Above Your Hook And Break The Rest Off.
Finally, Tie Your Finished Leader With Hook And Corky To The Other End Of Your Swivel.

You Have There A Sure Fire Fish Slayin' Rig.

Hope This Helps Ya Land More Fish, Til Next Time,
KFE
Not even trying to be rude, but you could probably up your fish count if you broadened your tactics. Try switching that snell knot to a bait loop and throw some eggs on there. Even a little yarn with some scent combined with that chartreuse corkie. You still fish for Salmon?

K
KillFishEngage
No, Unfortunately Not. The Gear I Had I Sold And Expensive To Get Back, Not Rude At All, As A Matter Of Fact Yarn Was A Fav Of Mine At The Wind River Growing Up. But Anyhow They Changed A Bunch Of Regulations In Wa. So I Continued Full Time Bass And Trout And Catfish Angling. Thanks For The Tip, I'll Definitely Keep That In Mind When I Go Out For Salmon Again.

A Question, Will You Need 2 Corkies To Keep Your Hook And Such A Float?

G
GoDucks1
I'm curious on the toothpick through the corkie suggestion. What do you mean by this? Like in the top of ther corkie and out the bottom same as you thread your leader? What's the purpose behind this move?

Thanks

T
tbox
The toothpick is simply there to keep the corkee fixed in one position on your line. You slip on your corkee and push the toothpick into the hole with the line and break the rest of the toothpick off.

G
GoDucks1
Gotcha. Thanks

A
ArcticAmoeba
The snell is just fine. It still creates a "baitloop." I do not run classic bait loops for drift fishing because I can re-rig, if I bust off, in less than 45 seconds, and be back in the water. I put bait through my snells, and have caught hundreds of Winter Steelhead, and now a buncha Chinook on a simple, effective drift rig. No swivels, just knots, and hooks... There is no swivel needed, unless you are targeting Coho. Steelhead, and Chinook don't roll up enough to need a swivel really. But the only thing I would do different is run your pencil lead on the tag end of the leader, not mainline. So if the lead hangs up, you just give it a couple good pops, and the lead will slide off the tag end. If you run lead to your mainline, you will bust off everything you tied up when it hangs, leaving you back where you started, with a trailing piece of 20 lb. Ande. The Chartreuse/Black Michael Jackson is a great Chinook killer, so is the Willy Special. That 50/50, Chartreuse/Red one. Chinook need contrast. Their rods in their eyes are diminishing the instant they hit fresh water, so get something that will contrast with your bait, or yarn presentation. My best yarn/bait rig for Chinook when I bank the Clack this Spring, has been a chunk of black yarn, Red/Purple custom cure eggs by my buddy, and one #12 Black/Chartreuse Michael Jackson... Black side down. It is a small corkie for bigish hunks of eggs, but that is what they have been hitting every single day I target them. And I run slip floats normally, so a corkie really isn't needed. Thanks for the new rig advice KFE. Always great to hear what worked for others in days past. My oldest, coastal rigs have been catching a lot of fish the last couple years in the Clack. And your tip is super old school! Ande and all! Nice!

Last edited:
J
just1nook
AA you use corkie and yarn with your eggs under a bobber(float)?

A
ArcticAmoeba
I alwyas run a little bit of yarn, and usually a corkie to add contrast as well. Thats it though. I also pinch a bb split shot above a coon shrimp and corkie rig, so it gets down, stays down better. But the #12 corkie can't float even a small chunk of eggs. So I do use them for contrast primarily, not floatation. I also run very small floats comparitively speaking. I cast it slightly above the hole, and by the time it drifts down, the bait shoud be riding the zone. I try to make the float "set" in less than 5 seconds from the moment it hits the water. I can do this with 1/8- 1 oz. floats systems easily. A 1 oz. system will fish the boily'st hole in the Clackamas that I can reach from the bank.

B
BobberDown
man i do the same thing i like to run 3/8 or 1/2 oz floats moastly and i like to put a nice little peace of eather salmon eggs or chartruse or black yarn. it can grately inprove your cauch rate for a good corkie and yarn rig for nooks on the clack. I have had good luck with one combo inparticuler the corkie i dont know the name of the corkie but it is chartruse on one side more of a forest green on the other side with black lightning bolt looking strips i think they call the strips haring wings but that corkie with a peace of salmon egg yarn man that combo works well if you dont have eggs
good luck Dan

K
KillFishEngage
Thanks AA.

My Whole Thing Is I Used Sit At Home Tieing Corky Rigs To Leaders With My Hook Attached And Get The Velcro Square Patches They Used To Sell At Craft Stores, And Wrap Them Around Your Hands Near The End Of Your Fingers And Stick Individual Setups In Between The Velcro, Tieing Up Is 5 Min. Or Less, Depending On How Quick You Tie A Knot.....

But It's Funny You Mentioned The Weight In The Loose End Of Your Knot Thing, I Used To Do This And Began Fishing For Salmon 10 Years Later And Were With New Company, And They Showed Me The Slide Way.

I Remember Now The Whole Reason Why I Crimped My Lead To My Free Knot End Thanks To You AA.

And Yes tbox Is Absolutely Right About That Toothpick Thing, But That's New Law In Wa. Corkies MUST Be Above Your Hook At Least A Half Inch Or Something Ridiculous, I Used To Have My Corky Almost Just Beside My Hook When I Was A Boy. Also You Are Required To Keep Your Rod Moving For No Less Than 3 Or 4 Sec. Any Angler Caught With A Pole On The Bank That Was In The Water Got A Ticket. I Don't Know The Law Quite Yet, But Mostly It So far Doesn't Seem To Be Much Different Here For Trout And Bass. I Hope I Don't Do Something Accidentally, I Always Catch And Release Except Steelhead And Salmon And Big Trout And Big Catfish. And I'll Even Throw Back A Trophy If I Get A Nice Picture Of Me With That Thing!!!

Speaking Of Pictures, I Got Some Shots I'll Upload From The Ole Camera Later Of Me With A Few Sweet Looking Perch. They Were Unreasonably Decent For This Spot Some Appeared To Be Pregnant Or Super-Stuffed. And One Was Longer And Almost Wider Than My Hand..... I Caught The First Perch Of The Day On A Roostertail, And The Rest Off Worms. I Also Caught Like 8 Or So Others And 2 Red-Banders And A Rainbow 10 Inches Nothing To Shake A Stick At, But Incredibly Lucky it Is To Be Alive, He Gilled It Pretty Bad, So Spent Like 5 Min. Trying To Keep His Belly Under, But He Pushed Out Of My Hand And Eventually Swam Away. Thanks Again AA And Good Luck Out There!!!

A
ArcticAmoeba
The stripes on corkies are called Herring Bone, or Tiger Stripe normally. And those are very good Chinook corkies Dan.

B
BobberDown
well i was close but now i know haring bones. is the limit for nooks this yar one than your done agin hey thanks for the info Ian

R
ranch hand
your clackamas river limit is two in the aggregate. only one can be king. go after an early morning steelhead, then go after king salmon. unless the clack doesn't have a good 12 'o clock bite. too bad you can't fish during the nights down there.

C
cchinook
tooth pick

tooth pick

and I thought I was the only one that did that --- it is killer in slow water - when you can not count on the current to keep the corkie next to the hook -
Hospital Hole is a perfect example -- in Tilly - we are on the same page my friend !

K
KillFishEngage
I Love Being Able To Use Everyday Things To Accomplish A Dilemma That Normally Would Invoke A Trip To The Store. :)

Besides Your Mind Is Like A Parachute, It Works Best While Open!

They Are Also Good For Slip Bobbers And Such. I Used To Love Throwing A Pink Jig With Black Head And Clear Slip Bobber For Them Steelhead.

T
Thuggin4Life
ArcticAmoeba said:
The snell is just fine. It still creates a "baitloop." I do not run classic bait loops for drift fishing because I can re-rig, if I bust off, in less than 45 seconds, and be back in the water. I put bait through my snells, and have caught hundreds of Winter Steelhead, and now a buncha Chinook on a simple, effective drift rig. No swivels, just knots, and hooks... There is no swivel needed, unless you are targeting Coho. Steelhead, and Chinook don't roll up enough to need a swivel really. But the only thing I would do different is run your pencil lead on the tag end of the leader, not mainline. So if the lead hangs up, you just give it a couple good pops, and the lead will slide off the tag end. If you run lead to your mainline, you will bust off everything you tied up when it hangs, leaving you back where you started, with a trailing piece of 20 lb. Ande. The Chartreuse/Black Michael Jackson is a great Chinook killer, so is the Willy Special. That 50/50, Chartreuse/Red one. Chinook need contrast. Their rods in their eyes are diminishing the instant they hit fresh water, so get something that will contrast with your bait, or yarn presentation. My best yarn/bait rig for Chinook when I bank the Clack this Spring, has been a chunk of black yarn, Red/Purple custom cure eggs by my buddy, and one #12 Black/Chartreuse Michael Jackson... Black side down. It is a small corkie for bigish hunks of eggs, but that is what they have been hitting every single day I target them. And I run slip floats normally, so a corkie really isn't needed. Thanks for the new rig advice KFE. Always great to hear what worked for others in days past. My oldest, coastal rigs have been catching a lot of fish the last couple years in the Clack. And your tip is super old school! Ande and all! Nice!

I thought I was the only one who used a snell for a bait loop. I tie it half way down the hook to start but after a snag or a fish it slides up but still works. I can't seem to tie a bait loop but a snell is quick and efficient which keeps you fishing more than retieing. Also I always heard the half red half chartreuse being called an Umpqua special. But thats a spin glow not a corkie. Maybe its just a special color where ever you go? Oh and I use pencil lead and rubber tubing and attach it to the snap so i get my gear back after a snag.

K
KillFishEngage
I Don't Really Know The Colors Much, Just Use Them, But I Do Know That When I Use Pencil Lead If You Use Rubber, That's One More Thing You Have To Buy. So Just Tie Your Corky To Your Swivel And Then With The Excess Line, Thread The Lead Through The Line And Crimp It Down Good On The Top And Where YOU Think The Line Ends In The Lead If It Does At All, To Loose Will Result In A Loss Of Lead Regardless Of Snag.