Smith Reservoir ???

R
Ray
Thinking of giving it a try this sat. Anybody have some tips or clues etc. Just chasing some trout...

T
tomriker
if the water is low, i've always had luck fishing off the dam... if you're in a boat, clear at the other end where the water runs into it is nice too, i've only been there a dozen times or so but those are the places i've done well at

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
There's a bushwack trail that will get you to the back of the lake. I've caught fish all along that side of the lake. Good luck!

T
tomriker
have any of you guys ever camped at the other end? last time i was there i checked out the site and it looks like it'd be an awesome place to camp if you had a bunch of people, very remote and not many folks to deal with. but im apprehensive about leaving my rig at the other end

troutdude
troutdude
I spoke with someone this week, who has been camping at that back end. They did good trolling (not sure what gear/bait was used). It would be a good spot this time of year...as the trout will hug that cooler water flow. Look for drop OFFs on either side of the flow. The fish will hold there, and come up out the deeper water to ambush prey in the faster flow.

R
Ray
I have a small aluminum boat so thats how I will be working the lake. Thanks for the tips. I will drop a update in when I get back.

T
TTFishon
tomriker said:
have any of you guys ever camped at the other end? last time i was there i checked out the site and it looks like it'd be an awesome place to camp if you had a bunch of people, very remote and not many folks to deal with. but im apprehensive about leaving my rig at the other end

I've thought the same thing. If you had a boat it would be easy to check your rig every once in a while. About 10 years ago I had some friends drop me off in the parking lot and told them to meet me here in a week. It was late October and I had the place to myself the whole week. It was great and fishing was awesome too.

R
Ray
Well I went up there on Sat. Hit the water by 5:30 and had our planter trout limits in an hour. I was just flippin a crawler out with a small split shot and would have a fish on by the time it hit close to bottom. Fished all over the lake but the most productive spot was a big wirlpool down torward the camp spots. Most of the fish were on the smallish side but at least were carrying some pinkish meat to them. Over all a nice couple hours on the water without hearing jet skis. The camp spots were real nice to. If your looking for a nice place to camp just boat down to the far end!