Smallest carp you've ever caught

I
igquick
We all brag about the biggest carp we've ever caught because most carp are just big in general; but what is the smallest carp you've ever caught?

Last edited by a moderator:
T
tnffishman
the only two I've caught were a little smaller than that smallest one you got there

Troutski
Troutski
Bright Fish...

Bright Fish...

Man, that middle shot is so bright I had to turn my monitor down, great fish. Never caught a small one my self..:redface: I'm a perfect beginner... Never tried it, too many species and too little time.
Love the pictures, I imagine the the larger fish take on those Tarpon style scales.

Chuck
Chuck

I
Ifishforfood
hey iggy, where were those caught at? looks familiar. PM me if you want to keep the spot secret!

I
igquick
@tnffishman you should post that pic of the small carp you caught...I have caught one as small as a bluegill once and I thought it was just a deformed bluegill...I also wanted mike pierce to repost the tiny mirror carp he shot and left it in a puddle for an hour and it still managed to swim off

@Troutski yes the larger ones do take on the scale or a tarpon, especially the grass carp:*

@Ifishforfood I don't feel like being a ***** today so * * * I'll tell y'all where I caught most of them...I got them at chinook landing, when you first enter the salmon gates, you will eventually see a small body of water on your left, use corn, I also caught some big ones in there

J
john montana
igquick...I've got to show you some of the bigger grass carp out there! check out this one my buddy caught (disclaimer...he snagged it unintentionally):

e7d525b1953d4002e9c481e4a04a44f0.jpg

I caught one that was bigger than that a few years ago...but again, it is illegal to target these fish (it shouldn't be). My buddy had no idea what the fish was, nor how big it was and snagged it thinking he was near the fish's mouth when it moved and saw a take. I haven't targeted them in a while...i wish they would change the regs.

the smallest i've seen caught on the fly was about 1 lb. We sight fish though, so we only cast to fish we see, and therefore don't catch a lot of the small ones...you just don't see those small fish very often. i think they are super skittish.

I
Ifishforfood
I knew it! yeah the green dike in the background was a giveaway haha. well cool, i have only caught like 5 inch carp on the other side of the slough you were at, the other side of the road that is. in april/may you can see tons of the huge carp in there spawning. bowfished there last year but my skills were not good enuff. this year tho... haha. right on tho, cool

I
igquick
@Johnmontana That's a biztch of a fish! They look gigantic underwater it's almost creepy...so where did you catch yours again and where did he catch his?

@Ifishforfood yea I've seen them spawning there too at that time but had no luck, I should have used corn because they love it over there...usually it's the hair rigged bread balls that do the trick

J
john montana
I caught mine years ago in the Columbia. The fish pictured above was also caught in the big C. These fish are NOT restricted to the landlocked lakes, they are loose. I've seen them throughout the Columbia, and in multiple areas in the Willamette. They get huge though. The one I caught years ago was roughly 55 inches long...just a huge fish. I wish they would change the regs so we could legally fish for them. I haven't cast a fly at one in years and I see quite a few of them. They seem to frequent the really warm, soft areas of the river. I rarely see them near deep water or up on the gravel.

Guys in CO catch them all the time on the fly. My limited experience (prior to learning the regs) is that they are SUPER tough on an artificial. Very spooky. Really cool fish though.

I
igquick
Dang that's a huge fish...I can't use a hair rig on them because they are really good at spitting the hook out and their mouth is shaped funny/bony...the best way I catch em is sight fishing so we could set the hook quickly right when we see it happen...I can't wait to get a fly rod

J
john montana
igquick said:
Dang that's a huge fish...I can't use a hair rig on them because they are really good at spitting the hook out and their mouth is shaped funny/bony...the best way I catch em is sight fishing so we could set the hook quickly right when we see it happen...I can't wait to get a fly rod

Careful though...if you are sight fishing then you are illegal. It is a dumb law, but it is illegal to target these fish. Incidental catches only. That is the reason I don't catch em.