bass
Most Featured
I hit the Columbia out of Stevenson, WA on Sunday the 2nd and the wind forecast of little to no wind held true all day long! I almost did not feel like I was really fishing the gorge 
So the wind was cool and light but the action was hot and heavy. I ended the day with 36 bass with the best 5 weighing a combined 14lb 10z and the biggest on the day being a 3lb 8oz. I probably had at least a dozen bass over 2lbs. I was not even weighing them unless they looked like they had a chance to unseat the smallest bass in my "bag", a 2lb 10oz.
The bite was pretty good all day long. The only lulls I had were when I stayed on a spot too long after I had worn it out. All the bass came from 25'-35' of water and most of the spots that produced 2 weeks ago produced again this week. To me that indicates that the fish are settled into their winter haunts and should be more or less in those areas until next spring.
The big producer on the day was a drop shot with a minnow colored Trick Shotz (Goby Bryant or Shiner). A handful came on a Ned rig with green pumpkin TRD and I caught one bass on an underspin. I fished the Carolina rig and the wobblehead a fair bit but I never had a bite on either. The bass I caught were puking up little minnows (I think the shad are gone, not sure what they were) and I think the drop shot and Ned matched that profile. I had bigger baits on the Carolina rig and wobblehead and I think in retrospect that is why I blanked on both of those. I will make an adjustment next trip out.
Early in the day I was just catching a bass or two off of a spot but as the day wore on I seemed to be able to generate a lot more bites per spot. Re-fishing spots that earlier had only produced a fish or two early in the day produced a lot of bites late in the day. Maybe next time I will sleep in a little
Overall it was about as an amazing day. Mostly blue skies, a few puffy clouds, light wind and hungry bass. If I had caught a giant or two it would have made the day perfect - but that would have just ruined me for future trips. I will also add that almost all the bass were really fat and healthy. I caught 17" that weighed 3lbs and the 3lb 9oz was only 18". They are getting nice and chonky.
For those who care, the water temp was around 56F and the clarity was really good (I could see the bottom in at least 6' of water). Anyway, here are some pics from the day and my video.




So the wind was cool and light but the action was hot and heavy. I ended the day with 36 bass with the best 5 weighing a combined 14lb 10z and the biggest on the day being a 3lb 8oz. I probably had at least a dozen bass over 2lbs. I was not even weighing them unless they looked like they had a chance to unseat the smallest bass in my "bag", a 2lb 10oz.
The bite was pretty good all day long. The only lulls I had were when I stayed on a spot too long after I had worn it out. All the bass came from 25'-35' of water and most of the spots that produced 2 weeks ago produced again this week. To me that indicates that the fish are settled into their winter haunts and should be more or less in those areas until next spring.
The big producer on the day was a drop shot with a minnow colored Trick Shotz (Goby Bryant or Shiner). A handful came on a Ned rig with green pumpkin TRD and I caught one bass on an underspin. I fished the Carolina rig and the wobblehead a fair bit but I never had a bite on either. The bass I caught were puking up little minnows (I think the shad are gone, not sure what they were) and I think the drop shot and Ned matched that profile. I had bigger baits on the Carolina rig and wobblehead and I think in retrospect that is why I blanked on both of those. I will make an adjustment next trip out.
Early in the day I was just catching a bass or two off of a spot but as the day wore on I seemed to be able to generate a lot more bites per spot. Re-fishing spots that earlier had only produced a fish or two early in the day produced a lot of bites late in the day. Maybe next time I will sleep in a little
Overall it was about as an amazing day. Mostly blue skies, a few puffy clouds, light wind and hungry bass. If I had caught a giant or two it would have made the day perfect - but that would have just ruined me for future trips. I will also add that almost all the bass were really fat and healthy. I caught 17" that weighed 3lbs and the 3lb 9oz was only 18". They are getting nice and chonky.
For those who care, the water temp was around 56F and the clarity was really good (I could see the bottom in at least 6' of water). Anyway, here are some pics from the day and my video.



