Slugs as bait????

B
beaverfan
I was just outside on my patio and saw a slug and it got me thinkin', anyone ever try using a slug as bait??? I don't plan on trying as there just a little too slimy for me but it would seem like they would work.

J
JeannaJigs
Slugs freak me out, quite frankly. So nope.

B
beaverfan
I agree and I just discovered even more freaky and disgusting. Apparentely there is some sort of small parasitic insect similar to tick or mite or something that live on slugs? I was looking at the slug and it had this little tiny tan'ish insects that look very much like a spider mite. Then I checked another slug and then another and all three had these nasty little critters.

J
JeannaJigs
That's freakin' gross. When I was about 8, I was camping and woke up with some of them on me, and around me, and slime trails ALL OVER my sleeping bag. That alone probably shoulda ruined all future slug encounters for me, but what sealed the deal was my older brother wrapping one up in a tortilla and giving it to me as a burrito....

They still freak me out. I won't run screaming in the other direction, but I sure am not gonna touch them and I go somewhat out of my way to avoid touching them with my gear or wading boots etc.

B
beaverfan
I do the same thing haven't touched a slug in years. When I was little maybe 2 or 3 my sister somehow convinced me to eat one and my mom reached down my throat and pulled it out! I still thank her for saving me from that nastyness that is "slugs"!

J
JeannaJigs
I just vomited in my mouth a little bit.

That made me cringe. For reals.

B
beaverfan
Good!!!!

Gunga
Gunga
Yes you actually can use slugs for bait. ive foung it best to soak them in beer for an hour to get rid of the slime. they work great for chub and for bass at times. they float on top of the water so you can texas rig it and cast it into weeds were the bass are looking up for food.

P
pdxjon
The only thing that doesn't taste better with salt.

S
Stile00
I hate slugs with a passion!:mad: They continue to reak havoc on my garden! I have never used them as bait, nor will I, but isn't there a some plastic imitations out there?

B
bigfootfish
Banana slugs!!!

Banana slugs!!!

BeaverFan, your talking about the smaller ones in your yard? You have seen their bigger, l o n g e r cousins in the woods? I've always heard them called banana slugs, 'cause they're as long and big around as bananas. Forest slugs. Anyway, I've always heard the Asians locally like to pickle the banana slugs or coat them with a tempura batter and enjoy them deep-fried. Never thought about using them for bait. I'd have to wear gloves. Disposible gloves. Yuck. I'd rather have nightcrawlers in my sleeping bags than slugs. At least slugs don't go crunch when you step on them like with snails. Of course if you ask any duck or goose they would, if they could talk, probably tell you how deliscious slugs are!!!:lol:

BFF

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
That's disgusting! Mmm mmm sweet n sour slug!

F
fishnquest
better bring your old nylons and your spider thread to keep those buggers on your hook :D

T
TTFishon
I put a huge slug under a buddy's windshield wiper blade once.:lol: He said it took forever to get the slime off of his windshield.:lol: Anyway, back to the original question. I tried a slug once when I was a kid. It put off a lot of slime and I didn't catch a thing. Doesn't mean they don't work though but I'll probably never use one again.

Gunga
Gunga
like i said before about slugs. is that you have to soak them in beer for an hour to delime them. they work great for chub and at times bass. slugs float so you can texas rig them and throw them in weeds cause bass look up for food in the weeds. Hope this helps anybody.

S
SALTYFISH
my older brother wrapping one up in a tortilla and giving it to me as a burrito....

That's to much almost made me vomit :shock:

W
waco
one time i saw one in a tree into the water so i dumped into the water with a stick and a fish grab it and im pretty sure was a bass!!!

B
bigfootfish
All about slugs...

All about slugs...

Naw! Just kidding about the title. H o w e v e r . . . . . . . . . fish learned to eat earthworms when a bank would cave in, fall into the creek/river carrying nightcrawlers with the slide/fall. Fish say t a s t y!(if they could speak):lol: A n y v a y.......couldn't slugs or even their C R U N C H Y cousins also fall in rivers and creeks, with branches falling in the water, etc. etc.......Fish might find slugs tasty plus be already preprogramed to munch..munch..munch..a bunch..bunch.. bunch..of escargot sans shell!!!!:dance::naughty::clap:
What a dissssssgusting topic. I think beaverfan needs a nickname.....slugbuddy!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Just teasing you, BF.

BFF

Last edited: