Slaw from Austa to Mapleton

L
Letemgo
I will be in Florence for about 5 days next month. I am interested in the stretch of the Siuslaw between Austa Landing and Mapleton. Much of this follows the Old Stagecoach Rd. Is this too much to float in a day? Any suggestions as to the best places to put in and take out? Thanks steve

P
plumb2fish
There are a couple of sections along Stagecoach that are nearly unrunnable. I would suggest putting in at austa and floating down to the swinging bridge on Stagecoach rd. The first section of the river that is really sketchy is at mp. #7 on Stagecoach rd. You can put in just below the trestle there and run down to the trestle just above the overhanging rock wall...you will have no problem knowing when you get to this point. The drop below the wall is another section that isn't run by the locals. You can then put the boat back in at the next trestle(drag it over the logs) and float to mapleton....this will probably take 2 full days if you plan on doing any fishing.

L
Letemgo
plumb2fish, thanks for the info. I have gotten a couple of PMs that warn of "The Horn" in that area. Do you know anything about that? Steve

L
Letemgo
OK, I found out that the "Horn" is actually on Lake Creek, a major tributary of the Siuslaw. So that won't be an issue. It's a Class IV rapid. I watched a couple of Youtube vids of kayakers running it. I have been through Class IV on the Rogue and Deschutes and the Horn looks every bit as formidable. Steve

P
plumb2fish
Shoot me a pm when you are headed down, I would have no problem showing you the sections of river that might cause trouble at anything lower than about 7 on the gauge