Size 24 and 28 micro flies

B
Billamicasr
It was about 1974 at Bob Guards Caddis Fly shop in Eugene, OR where I first learned to tie flies. Poly Rosborough (sp) visited and spent the day while we sat along side and practiced his "Fuzzy Nymph" tying style.
I met many of the now famous names in fly fishing back then; Bob Guard was like a magnet to draw in those guys. Anyone remember the old yellow milk truck (his RV) Bob used to drive to fishing spots? If you do, you'll recall the wood sign over the door that said "Guard House"; I always thought that was so cool.

The attached photo is a dozen flies that were tied for me by (???? cannot recall his name ). I do remember he tied them for the hefty fee of $1.00 per fly and a total of $12.00 including a little fly box (I've been offered $50). I believe the largest is a 24 and the smallest is tied on a size 28 hook; I cannot imagine my fingers being able to do that, not even in my youth. If you could see them in person you'd be absolutely amazed at the detail. Can you see the Royal Wolf?

I've tied lots of flies, but I don't think I've ever tied a dry fly smaller than a 14. I've tied nymphs like the gnat down to 18, but I don't think I was ever able to do anything much smaller. These days I find it difficult to tie anything except Steelhead flies; I love a good sparse hackle spey pattern in a light wire 2/0 for summer run Steelhead on the McKenzie... LOL.

Bill

• Micro Flies.jpg
bass
bass
Those are beautiful flies!

Growing up in Pittsburgh, PA the conditions of some of the streams had very poor conditions for mayflies and caddis, but midges thrived in those locations. Once we got to late May or June I would be mostly fishing 22-26 midge pupae, midge larvae and ants that I would tie myself. I rarely tied dry versions since the fish seemed to really like the pupa in the film. The small sizes were the only thing that worked in the low, clear slow water. The flies I tied were tiny, but very simple, nothing fancy like you have there, but they worked extremely well.

P
playhooky
I'm hoping these will attract some "Cranebow's" when the water temps come up a tad. Can't wait to test them.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426005085.800565.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jamisonace
jamisonace
Around 2002 I paid a kid that worked in our shipping dept. $.50 a fly to tie all my size 18+ flies. The Provo river in Utah had a nice midge hatch that called for small flies. No way I could do them in that detail. He was awesome though. He was in high school but really good.

Thanks for bringing back a good memory.

B
Billamicasr
Playhooky, nice job on those flies. Are those a named pattern?
Can't wait to hear the report. I've fished Crane Prairie just 3-times and came up with at least one very nice bow on each trip; beautiful country even if rugged.

bass
bass
Best of luck, those are nice looking flies. The pupa and larva I tied were similar but I usually did not use a bead head, just a peacock herl head. In the slow shallow water I used them in even a small bead was too much.

One tip on fishing those flies is that especially with a turned down eye the hook gap is really small. To improve the bite on small hooks I would always take and bend them so that shank and the part with point and barb were no longer in the same plane. (Kind of looks like a V with the bend being the bottom of the V). That made a huge difference in my hookup ratio. Funny thing is that I do the same trick to my 6/0 circle hooks when sturgeon fishing and it improves the hookup ratio there as well :)

P
playhooky
Bass.....thanks for the tips. I agree with the eye configuration. These little Chironomids (size 18 & 16) are the first ones I've tied up so they're rookie bugs at best as I really didn't know what I was doing for sure. And all I know is that they are referred to as ice cream cones. I weighted them with lead wire pretty good so they will sink fast. I'll try them with an indicator above. I was happy with the way they turned out but the real test will be whether the lunkers like em or not.

S
Stonefish
PH,
Another tip for tying chironomids.
Try using tungsten beads rather then wrapping them with lead. They'll sink faster and help keep your pattern slim.
The color combos you can tie in chironomids are endless when you consider thread and wire colors.
I like to to add two colors of wire rib to some of my patterns. A Tiemco 2457 light wire scud hook or equivalent is a good hook and offers a straight eye.
Google Phil Rowley "chromie" for another great chironomid pattern.

Good job on your sno cones!

P
playhooky
Stonefish......thanks.....I used hooks that were suggested to me for these Chironomids (Umqua U202 / 18's and my Tiemco 16's were actually 2457's w/down eye configuration). I took a look at Rowley's "Chromie"....nice looking pattern. I've seen other patterns with that same gill application. I'm in favor by all means.....those white gills would cover the eye and knot nicely. Probably try tying a few of those for my box. This sweet weather is making me itch!

S
Stonefish
PH,
My apologies. I had some straight eye scud hooks that I thought were 2457. After looking at a pack of 2457, they obviously weren't.
Not sure what brand they are....that might tell me I have way to much tying materials lol.
The chironomid hatches in our lowland lakes up north here are really starting to take off after the nice weather.

Good luck this spring.
SF

P
playhooky
Now now SF....be careful. Can you have too many hooks, furs & feathers? I hate sitting down to tie and finding out I don't have just the right dubbing or that perfect rib material. Kinda like fishing rods.....you need a few for each type of fish. I mean, you could golf 18 holes with a putter but what would your score look like? We need "Stuff" to increase our success rates. I personally like lots of options and it sounds like you follow suit. Besides that, there's a lot worse things we could be spending our $ on!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426089797.809121.jpg

S
Stonefish
Agreed!
I've got 30+ years of fly fishing and tying stuff lying around my house and I keep buying more.
No wonder I've some how ended up with six 6 wts.
I did sell a rod last weekend, so I bought a line today to help even thing out..... ;)
SF

S
sapo
Six 6 weights?? Crazy man. Which rods? And all of you above, those are some really nice flies...still trying to learn how to tie some good ones myself.

P
playhooky
Size 24 and 28 micro flies

Patience and practice is the key for me Sapo. The cool thing about tying is that if you're not happy you can almost always put things in reverse and take another run at it. And if it looks "fishy" tie it on your line and put it in the water. I really watch and tie a lot of Davie McPhail patterns on YouTube. Learned a lot from his vids. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
S
Stonefish
Looks good PH. :thumb:

T
tljack
IMG_0932.jpg I posted this picture on another thread but think it would be better here.
I doubt I can tie these this small any longer, no less attach them to my leader. I had a period when I love doing these and have lots of them