Siuslaw 10/18/14: A beast and a poacher!

X
xltom
What kind of rods do you guys like for this? I'm using some burly thick rods. Seems like everyone else has thinner more flexy ones. Maybe that's why I've lost two out of three fish (broke leaders)? One of my trolling rods is a Berkley "Big Game" with a penn 209 on it. Looks more like a deep sea fishing combo. I'm switching to 30lb leaders right now. I'll be out there in the morning.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
xltom said:
What kind of rods do you guys like for this? I'm using some burly thick rods. Seems like everyone else has thinner more flexy ones. Maybe that's why I've lost two out of three fish (broke leaders)? One of my trolling rods is a Berkley "Big Game" with a penn 209 on it. Looks more like a deep sea fishing combo. I'm switching to 30lb leaders right now. I'll be out there in the morning.

for trolling the Slaw, I use a 7' MH Cabela's Tourney Trail® EVA Split Grip Casting Rod, TTESGC705, the whole Tourney Trail line of IM7 rods was just on sale 50% off in Springfield (these rods are always going on sale), I picked up an 8.5' M for Siltcoos coho (TTT864-T) for $34 (but I would not mind hooking a chinook on this rod).

I think a rod rating for chinooks something like this is about right: MH, Line: 10-17, Lure Weight: 1/4 to 3/4 or 1oz.
coho: M, Line: 8-15, Lure: 1/4-3/4.

M
mosd
Damn that's a pretty pick of my boat.. funny thing is tho I wasn't poaching cause I had my gf laying in the front of the boat taking a nap. She has a valid tag an license plus I have proof that she with me that day. Talk to Kirby an troy in cushman plus a couple of my guide buddies that where out there that day that seen her out there with me.. but hey if ya want go ahead an call me in no harm feelings. I've got the proof an what will they do.. slap me on the wrist[emoji24]

1 nut in the water
Haha!
Some people got to much time- OFF and facebook police out on patrol...........

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
i have seen that boat before myself, "Addickhead" i know the deputy that patrols the river for the Lane Co Sheriff and i will give him a heads up to give that guy S..t if he see's him!

M
mosd
Go ahead.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I think mosd has solved the mystery and Occam's razor wins out again- the simplest explanation was a second person was on the boat....

D
DrTheopolis
If you wanted to get really technical, the second rod isn't "closely attended" (by the person fishing it), therefore outside of the regs.

But a pretty minor violation in the grand scheme of things, IMO.

And I'm cracking up that it was a member here.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
DrTheopolis said:
If you wanted to get really technical, the second rod isn't "closely attended" (by the person fishing it), therefore outside of the regs.

LOL....I am going to disagree with you here, I think the person being on the boat and alive makes it "closely attended". I can find nothing about the person needing to be awake...

I think that rule is for like some guys fishing from shore and one makes a beer run, his rod would not be "closely attended" while he is off at the QuickyMart getting more Bud Light...

M
mosd
rogerdodger said:
LOL....I am going to disagree with you here, I think the person being on the boat and alive makes it "closely attended". I can find nothing about the person needing to be awake...

I think that rule is for like some guys fishing from shore and one makes a beer run, his rod would not be "closely attended" while he is off at the QuickyMart getting more Bud Light...

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
MOSD is as straight-shooting, as they come. His GF was coppin' some zzz's; but no rules were broken.

Carry on...

X
xltom
mosd said:
Damn that's a pretty pick of my boat.. funny thing is tho I wasn't poaching cause I had my gf laying in the front of the boat taking a nap. [emoji24]

My apologies mosd, I'm surprised nobody recognized your boat on here. I hope you aren't too burnt up about me poking a little fun at you. From the pic it's hard to believe there's anybody else in there. But I'll take your word for it as I've been seeing you on the forum for a long time now. Sorry....... You're not dating peter dinklage are you? hehhee

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Same sorry mosd no harm no foul I didn't even see your post till after I posted

jamisonace
jamisonace
I would agree but then we'd both be wrong.

DrTheopolis said:

But a pretty minor violation in the grand scheme of things, IMO.

And I'm cracking up that it was a member here.

X
xltom
jamisonace said:
I would agree but then we'd both be wrong.

Yeah I'm pretty sure u can sleep next to your rod. That's what those little plunkin bells are for. I used to wait for "thuggin4life" to fall asleep, then I'd sneak up and jiggle his line...ringing the bell. He would jump up all confused and trip...fall.. cuss... trying to get up to grab his rod. hilarious and it worked over and over and over....

Last edited:
E
eugene1
xltom said:
My apologies mosd, I'm surprised nobody recognized your boat on here.

I think that's a new boat for him.

Nice boat mosd,

J
JeannaJigs
Lots of fish were moving in down by the coast guard station on Saturday. Purple nooks. Most amazing calm water I've ever seen down there, compared to what it was in the morning.

X
xltom
John's-ho.jpg

By the way, My bro john got this one today. I lost one at the boat and had another quick bite. There were MANY fish jumping all around the 101 bridge all day. I'm 1 for 3 so far this year but my boat is 3 for 3. Thanks guys.

J
JeannaJigs
All great fish. I'm looking forward to dropping the drift boat in the upper river this weekens.

C
CoastieFlo
Uhh, yeah if you are asleep you are definitely not attending your rod, very ticketable. Good thing u just admitted it for everyone to read :)