Siuslaw 10/18/14: A beast and a poacher!

X
xltom
My friend Rob and I hit the slaw before sunrise today. I'm told it was a slow day with only 4 fish caught that I heard about. 2 of those were on my boat. I caught a nice coho and also lost a bigger fish at the boat. My buddy caught the biggest nook I've ever seen in real life. I had a great day except for the morning rain and this poacher I saw trolling 2 rods by himself all day. I'm not the type to call the law but I thought I'd put him on blast here to teach him a lesson....heheheh... He was in a green boat with "addicted" in vinyl stickers on the side. I have his hull id # too. Please check the photo evidence!! Apparently he's so addicted that he can't play by the rules. If anyone knows him... we should shame him into changing his ways I think.

dickhead.jpg

myho.jpg

robinsnook.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Admin
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Excellent, did you measure either of your fish? Anything over about 40" is a big fish on the slaw for sure!

hard to tell from the picture, I am guessing it was obvious that he had gear in the water from more than one of the rods? On my kayak, I will often have 3 rods up in rod holders, obviously only 1 at a time would have gear in the water, but the other 2 might have a bend to them if I have a lure in the hook holder and tension on the line, I guess from a distance someone might think more than one was fishing but up close they would see line in the water from only one...

We fished from Cushman down to below 101 bridge this morning, saw just a few netted early near the RR bridge and but later into the afternoon plenty of chinooks and coho were caught below the 101 bridge, my friend lost a nook at the boat, that was our only action... cheers, roger

X
xltom
Yeah he was definitely fishing both rods...trolling right in front of me too. Same gear on both rods. You'd think he'd at least try to spread them out but he was running both straight back along the sides of his boat. I don't really mean that my photo is evidence of anything. Just having fun. He could have had a little person hidden in the cooler!

You gotta measure fish to tag em. My coho was 31" and the nook was 36". Still waiting on a weight for that. Rob's gonna stand on his scale at home holding the fish...hah!..

We fished tiernan to Cushman but left at 3:30. Should have come out your way.

X
xltom
In the full size/resolution photo you can see the lines in the water

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
those are great fish, our coho have all been 28" to 32" this year, a 31" should be in the 12-13# range...

xltom said:
Yeah he was definitely fishing both rods...trolling right in front of me too. Same gear on both rods. You'd think he'd at least try to spread them out but he was running both straight back along the sides of his boat. I don't really mean that my photo is evidence of anything. Just having fun. He could have had a little person hidden in the cooler!

LOL, that is what I was thinking, maybe Peter Dinklage is sitting low in the boat...:D

xltom said:
You gotta measure fish to tag em. My coho was 31" and the nook was 36". Still waiting on a weight for that. Rob's gonna stand on his scale at home holding the fish...hah!..

I always measure length and girth but if you check page 24 of the regs and on the blue tag code sheet, it is not required to be entered for salmon/steelhead; only halibut and sturgeon are required to have the length recorded on the tag.

this by the way is the best length/girth to weight converter: http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/resourcecenter/weightcalculator.htm

a 36" nook should be in the 22-24# range depending on girth measured just in front of dorsal fin. if Rob comes back over that, he definitely had his toe on the scale...:thumb:

E
eugene1
Good fish there.

Hope the guy with two rods was just ignorant of the law and needs a reminder that a two rod endorsement doesn't work for salmon...

Best,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
Good fish there.

Hope the guy with two rods was just ignorant of the law and needs a reminder that a two rod endorsement doesn't work for salmon...

Best,

or in tidewater ever for any species! that makes him double stupid or a poacher..

brandon4455
brandon4455
LOL @ the photo name being Dickhead. pretty much sums it up!

home the guy gets caught and learns his lesson.

Beautiful fish by the way!

X
xltom
rogerdodger said:
if Rob comes back over that, he definitely had his toe on the scale...:thumb:

Ha Ha hah! He's claiming 27#. That thing was seriously football shaped though. I was guessing mid 30's

jamisonace
jamisonace
I love all the nasty looks I get when I'm running three rods but it looks like I'm fishing by myself cuz my kids are sleeping on the floor.

It's hard to tell the real size of a fish when it's held so far from the body. Looks like a beast from the shape of the shoulders though.

Admin
Admin
Nice catch!

Regarding the guy with two rods... May be his fishing buddy is laying on a deck drunk to death. )

jhop111
jhop111
It's probably best to report them to osp if you have enough information for them to use. I would personally assume ignorance and inform them. Depending on the reaction then proceed to photo and phone. Either way love your picture title and some nice work with the slabs.

X
xltom
jhop111 said:
It's probably best to report them to osp if you have enough information for them to use. I would personally assume ignorance and inform them. Depending on the reaction then proceed to photo and phone. Either way love your picture title and some nice work with the slabs.

I'm gonna have to assume he knew the regs. Judging by his expensive gear and the way he was dressed I'd say he was no novice. I'm 6'4" 275lbs. I don't often have to call the cops for anything. Plus I've been known to bend a rule or two in my time. But the fishing regs is something different. Those laws are here for US! He's not cheating the government or some corporation. He's cheating every fisherperson who follows the rules...and our kids, who will never know good fishing if people don't respect the regs.

Public humiliation is the spanking I got for this guy. I'm pretty sure he got a karma skunk anyway.

Reactions: rogerdodger
E
eugene1
xltom said:
I'm pretty sure he got a karma skunk anyway.

Two chances for that striped kitty too! LOL.

X
xltom
eugene1 said:
Two chances for that striped kitty too! LOL.

HA HA HAH!!! He got skunked twice in one day! Picture this.. a rod goes down, all of a sudden dinklage jumps out of the cooler like a jack in the box yelling "FISH ON!..FISH ON!" as he scrambles over the captain to grab his rod. HAH HAH HAH!!!

Reactions: eugene1
S
Seahawkfan
jamisonace said:
I love all the nasty looks I get when I'm running three rods but it looks like I'm fishing by myself cuz my kids are sleeping on the floor.

It's hard to tell the real size of a fish when it's held so far from the body. Looks like a beast from the shape of the shoulders though.

So how are your kids fishing if they are sleepin?

jamisonace
jamisonace
They aren't. I just like to fish three rods. In fact, most of the time I just imagine they are in the boat with me.

Seahawkfan said:
So how are your kids fishing if they are sleepin?

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
They aren't. I just like to fish three rods. In fact, most of the time I just imagine they are in the boat with me.

when our boat was young (and so were we), I was busy trolling 4 rods off the back (me, wife, 2 young sons) and we would carry a little kitchen timer, first we draw cards for "on the rod" order, then each person got like 15 minutes 'on the rod'. any rod hooks up, you get it if you have the timer...so basically you only needed to be awake while you were 'on the rod' plus my wife could pass the timer to help keep the boys interested...I didn't so much pass the timer but hey, I was doing all the work...:D

jamisonace
jamisonace
We decide who's turn it is at the outset and that kid gets first fish. On rare occasion I get to actually fight a fish if they've both got one for the day.

I've always preferred watching them fight fish anyway.

X
xltom
jamisonace said:
We decide who's turn it is at the outset and that kid gets first fish. On rare occasion I get to actually fight a fish if they've both got one for the day.

I've always preferred watching them fight fish anyway.

Good job getting the kids out there....I would have a hard time handing a rod with a big salmon on to a little one. I'd have to hold on to the back of his belt or something. Respect