Silverton Res. holdovers?

S
stinger believer
A buddy of mine and I are going to head up to Silverton Reservoir this friday. We went last week but we hiked to find fishing spots and didn't do any good at all. So this time we are going to take his little boat. It doesn't have tags so we can't put a motor on it which means one of us is going to be rowing. Since it gets pretty windy up there, I would rather row out and anchor up in a spot to fish. We were told there are holdovers, natives, and bullheads in there. Anyone know where to still fish out of a boat and what to use? I'd rather not try to row trolling gear all day if I can help it. I'm guessing in front of the dam and where the creek comes in are probably the 2 best spots? Any tips would help.

S
sharkbait
I caught an 11" rainbow from the bank in the back corner on Tuesday. We hiked all the way around. The fish are out in the middle where it's deep, so a boat would be a lot better. Motors aren't allowed on the reservoir. I caught mine on a worm at about 5 o'clock. Found out that the park is only open from 10am to 4pm... oops! We tried rooster tails, spinners, power bait, marshmellows, eggs, and worms. From the look inside the stomach, They are at the bottom feeding on bottom crap and worms. We did see them coming up to the surface to feed, so maybe try fly fishing? Anyways, it looks like where the creek comes in would be a great spot! Good Luck!

Reactions: Fishydog
S
stinger believer
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Sounds like a worm drowning kind of day.

D
DDR
Wasn't sure if it was open or not... but it's great knowing it is open! Thanks for the info. I'll have to plan a trip out there.

F
fishfearme
Silverton Res.....

Silverton Res.....

hey just letting you know some extra info......I use to live in silverton and have fished at the reservoir for years. But if you happen to go up there and the gates are closed you can go to city hall which is just down the road and request a key. You will have to give them some kind of id though or they might make a copy of your drivers license. But you can get the key from them. My cousin and i go fishing there all the time and trolling is definitely the best way to do it. I would actually troll with a small trout rapalla. i got crazy action with it. big and small. WE were catching like huge 18 inchers there back when they stocked it last year. but even just casting with a hook and worm workis just as good. The best places to go are as you go out from the docks in a boat head to the left. dont wast your time next to the dam. They are near the river coming into the reservoir. or right next to that big rock wall back there. Even try trolling up the river there too if you can. Oh and another piece of info....You can't use gas engines but you can use an electric motor. and just letting you guys know....they are going to stock the reservoir for the first time this year with 3700 trout on april 20th. 200 of those will be the larger. good luck and email me if you need more info. :D

D
DDR
I'm stuck without a flotation device so it's all shore fishing there for me. Got any suggestions?

F
fishfearme
well once you get to the parking lot there is a road just past the bathrooms there. You want to go up that road and follow it for a little while. There will be some trails going down towards the water. You want to go down those. Or there is another way but it is a hike.....you go to the docks and to the left of the docks is a trail. Follow that trail and i would say stop at the cliff or anywhere after that would be great shore fishing.....just worms and a hook is needed. but i actually got my big ones on a rapalla. but wait until they stock it after april 20th. or else you prob wont catch anything.

D
DDR
Thanks for the info!