Siltcoos

K
killigan
rogerdodger said:
that is a lot of jacks which would be good news for next years run...did you also catch any searun cutthroats?

I fished Sunday in the heavy rain and could not find any coho near the outlet/Fish Mill Lodge/west shore area, I did grab another 15" SRC on my #4 black spinner...roger

We lost a few fish at the boat and at least 2 of them looked to be SRC. Failed to mention that my father caught and released a nice 18" rainbow. Thanks for the feedback roger.

-killigan

C
Catwalk
Does anybody know if the dam will open this week (due to the rain)?
fished all day Friday and only caught SRC.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
The lake is very low, perhaps to help with the boat launch repairs. The river is also quite low.

Fish ladder at the dam is working just fine, just need more fish to come home.

K
kwikfisher
Maybe somebody could set up a game/trail camera at the fish ladder? Kidding....Sorta

G
getsdwyz
So Rich from darlings walked out on the beach at the mouth of the river he said the deepest point was only about 2 foot and there were 30+ seals out there gorging on fish coming into the river

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R
Resurgent
IMG_20151107_082639_681.jpg. It seems like some coho are making there way by the seals at the beach. I caught this 24" adult coho bank fishing at Tyee campground. It was a fun catch. Anyone have updates on if the dam is still open? It was when I was out on 7th.

On a side note is there a good spot for Chinook fishing from the bank close by siltcoose lake?

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Was there at at 4pm the dam is closed again!

R
Resurgent
GaryP1958 said:
Was there at at 4pm the dam is closed again!

Thanks! I am questioning if I should rent out a boat tomorrow or stick to bank fishing on siltcoos. I kind of don't want to waste my money on a boat rental if catching will be slow either way. Any other ideas of where to fish close by?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
nothing good to report from my recon on Wednesday.

image is mouth of Siltcoos river about 2 hours after high tide, dam is closed (and unlikely to open again anytime soon) but still plenty of outgoing tidewater for fish to get in, just didn't see any trying. Also, only a few seals in the surf now, a few weeks ago there were at least 30, so maybe they are giving up...or they moved to Tahkenitch.

in the river below the dam, I saw just 2 jacks jump but they were already showing some red (like the one I caught Tuesday at Fiddle Creek Arm) but I have never before seen fish in the tidewater just in from the ocean showing color.

Tahkenitch river was not moving, not sure if that dam has been opened at all yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Markk
Markk
I was thinking of giving it a go this Sunday but it doesn’t look to promising…

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I must have followed your tracks at about 3 or so, I counted 6 furbags and I am sure there where more out in the whitewater, must have been 1000 seagulls though!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I fished the river it is high I think they will open it in a day or 2, me thinks the warm water out in the ocean delayed them never know we may get a week or 2 of big numbers!

G
getsdwyz
334ecc7a8e5332a5a255a529190ad004.jpg

Fishing is tuff out there marking a few fish but there coming in slow.It took 10 days but I finally caught a jack 19 inches.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Good job I knew there had to be some!

B
billfisher
Way to keep after them. Nice jack.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, lots of jacks out there so far, the adults are lagging behind...hopefully they are still coming.

FYI- the jack that I caught, with that nice pink color down the sides, we baked up most of it last night and it was fantastic, the meat was no different from a normal chrome bright fish. I'm still in favor of releasing 'fire trucks' but consider coho with a bit of color, especially males, to be excellent table fare.

Last edited:
G
getsdwyz
Got two more nice chrome freebies today 20 inches on the money

6df68535b3d9f1f8a6a5a55210533ecc.jpg
edc367fa69d1a6b98da44f3347701450.jpg

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
getsdwyz said:

awesome, those are beauties! I sure hope we have a big surge of big adult coho soon, otherwise all we are left with is knowing that next years run will be excellent...

20" jacks seem to be the thing this year, I had to carefully measure mine, with the tail laid out flat per the rules, to get a just under 20" measurement that I could defend if needed...

R
Resurgent
getsdwyz said:

6df68535b3d9f1f8a6a5a55210533ecc.jpg
edc367fa69d1a6b98da44f3347701450.jpg

Wow! Nice Jacks! I wonder if I should have measured mine laying down to get it to 20". With all the rain we will be getting this week does anyone think the dam will be open? Any reports throughout the week would be much appreciated:)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Resurgent said:
Wow! Nice Jacks! I wonder if I should have measured mine laying down to get it to 20". With all the rain we will be getting this week does anyone think the dam will be open? Any reports throughout the week would be much appreciated:)

FYI- here is the legal measurement technique for salmon from the regs, with the tail laid out flat, this gives the minimum possible length:

if the tail is pulled together a bit it can add half an inch or so to the length, and in the ocean, where chinook under 24" and coho under 16" must be released, that improper measurement technique would result in retention of undersized fish...

cheers, roger

Last edited by a moderator: