Siltcoos Lake

T
Thuggin4Life
If only it was.

T
Timber
Okay again, but this time it's a different story. Hope this is not considered a hijack - maybe it deserves a new thread (?). I just looked at the other website known as Ifish, and someone is starting a rumor about Siltcoos being treated with rotenone to get rid of all the "invasive species" that have been there since the late 1800's. The rumored reason is to help the wild coho smolts make it out of the lake. I hope this is just a rumor. The coho run did fine before everything became so regulated and worrisome even with those pesky perch, bass, and bluegill. The locals at Siltcoos claim the cormorant population explosion is the real reason. I don't know, but there is a large cormorant rookery in Fiddle Creek and to tell you the truth, I've seen more osprey taking fish from the lake than cormorants. They are fun to watch and have outfished me over the past few years. I like to think that there is more to fishing than just salmon and Siltcoos has always provided that. Anybody else heard of this rotenone thing or am I just being suckered?

J
JeannaJigs
Timber said:
Okay again, but this time it's a different story. Hope this is not considered a hijack - maybe it deserves a new thread (?). I just looked at the other website known as Ifish, and someone is starting a rumor about Siltcoos being treated with rotenone to get rid of all the "invasive species" that have been there since the late 1800's. The rumored reason is to help the wild coho smolts make it out of the lake. I hope this is just a rumor. The coho run did fine before everything became so regulated and worrisome even with those pesky perch, bass, and bluegill. The locals at Siltcoos claim the cormorant population explosion is the real reason. I don't know, but there is a large cormorant rookery in Fiddle Creek and to tell you the truth, I've seen more osprey taking fish from the lake than cormorants. They are fun to watch and have outfished me over the past few years. I like to think that there is more to fishing than just salmon and Siltcoos has always provided that. Anybody else heard of this rotenone thing or am I just being suckered?
I'd bet everything I own that they won't use rotenone in siltcoos. Rotenone is used primarily for chub, and they aren't really an issue there (to my knowledge anyways) The coho runs are healthier than they have been in a long time, the smolts aren't having trouble making it out and the returns are looking very good. There is a healthy population of cormorants, but really, i don't think they are THAT detrimental to the fish populations. That lake is huge, and they eat everything, not just salmon smolts, so I don't see them as impacting it much. They've been there longer than humans have been fishing there.

I think that other site is yankin' your chain, they like to get people riled up.

I did a web search and the only results brought up that thread...and some stuff related to rotenone use in diamond and a triangle.

so yep, I don't think there is anything to worry about at all as far as that goes.

T
Timber
I agree with you JeannaJigs. I was going to post a reply on the other site but why, especially when I refuse to take part in their discussions anymore. I posted here in case any of the more honest fisherman that are found here might have heard the rumor. In this case, I am a gullible old codger.

J
JeannaJigs
Timber said:
I agree with you JeannaJigs. I was going to post a reply on the other site but why, especially when I refuse to take part in their discussions anymore. I posted here in case any of the more honest fisherman that are found here might have heard the rumor. In this case, I am a gullible old codger.
Nothing wrong with posting about it, it brings attention to it, which leads to some research and background info, digging up the truth. I will keep my eyes peeled for any information I may come across about this matter, but truthfully, I don't believe they will be doing anything like that to one of the healthiest coastal lakes ecosystems.

J
jeffm
wonderin if all this upcoming rain will effectively end the coho season on the lake?

R
rippin fish lips
jeffm said:
wonderin if all this upcoming rain will effectively end the coho season on the lake?

Bet it will! lots of it coming. Most the fish hangin in the lake should move out with these storms

L
LilCorky
Did it ever start?

J
JeannaJigs
Wasn't really a run to begin with. Was there veterans day and it was a ghost town. Two other trailers in the lot, not a sign of a single fish on sonar or rolling, and there's only been one year since 2003 I haven't filled my tag, so i do know what im doing. I say Put a fork in it, unless you live over there, it isn't worth the trip. Coho didn't show up in good. Umbers anywhere this year. Great year for chinook though, best in a long time.

Reactions: TTFishon
J
jack_king
Weird (ie:slow) year for sure. I live 5 minutes from the lake, so I'm not done yet. I still have one more to go and I've caught bright fish on Thanksgiving. Haven't been in two weeks due to back surgery but I'm hoping I get clearance from the doctor today!!

E
eugene1
Good luck!

I may give it one more shot too. Been skunked there on all three trips this year, and I don't like to go out like that!

jack_king said:
Weird (ie:slow) year for sure. I live 5 minutes from the lake, so I'm not done yet. I still have one more to go and I've caught bright fish on Thanksgiving. Haven't been in two weeks due to back surgery but I'm hoping I get clearance from the doctor today!!

J
jack_king
I got clearance from the doctor today, so I MIGHT just give it a go in the morning. I'll let you know if I do any good.

J
jeffm
thanks a lot! i live in junction city and my family has had a house in florence for 43 years. Duel citizenship. never fished siltcoos in december tho. will be real interested in how you do!

J
jack_king
Here's the skinny on this mornin (for the record, I fish the river, NOT the lake, almost exclusively from the bank):

The river is HIGH!! Color is great. I could only manage to stand there about 20 minutes (I'm two weeks do the day out from back surgery). A friend of mine came down in his boat and said he was marking several fish. Another friend fishing from the bank just above me lost what looked to be a 12-14 buck with a bit of color. He had been there about 40 minutes.

I plan to try again on Friday.

E
eugene1
Sounds like they're still around then! Good you could get out even if only 20 minutes.

Thanks for the report,

J
jeffm
what a stud! 20 minutes of bank fishin after back surgery, good for you. thanks for the update. Hopefully next time will be 40 minmutes!

H
HOOKED ON
Did anybody fish silcoos thanksgiving weeked? are the fish still there?

O
OnTheDrop
jack_king said:

What kind of back surgery did you have done if you dont mind me asking?

J
jeffm
i havent heard, got sick and was piled up all weekend....

H
HOOKED ON
jeffm said:
i havent heard, got sick and was piled up all weekend....

Anybody fished latley? talked to Vensent at westlake he said a few fish had been caught last week, expects some
more to come in, im going to fish this weekend.