Should I be out fishing in a thunder storm

Istouder25
Istouder25
I live in Eugene and the weather predicts some lightning today. Would you guys be out fishing? I caught three trout over 2.5 lbs yesterday and wana break some water asap

C_Run
C_Run
I pondered that question one time when I was in the middle of Crescent Lake in my kayak with a couple of graphite rods pointed skyward. The dark clouds rolled in, all the boats suddenly left, and lightning started hitting the surrounding hills. I thought to myself that those boat guys must know something I don't.

Chromatose
Chromatose
lightning.jpg

Field and stream just wrote a article about a teen`s fishing pole being hit by lightning. Here is what was left of his fishing pole.
The choice is yours!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Hooked Up, troutdude and Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Be safe and use your judgement. I grew up in Florida and would fish storm fronts every day. We would fish till the last second then head for cover and let it pass. The storms here seem to move just as quickly.

Lightning hitting rods was pretty common, especially for pier fisherman. You know when it's time.

I would fish and just keep an eye out, the radar and weather apps never seem too accurate.

Reactions: fromthelogo
D
Diamond Lake Charlie
When you are out on the lake lighting can be drawn to you like a lighting rod, well that is what my father taught me. but just in case figure it this way, when on a lake you are the HIGHEST thing on a lake and a natural target. On a personal basis I get off as fast as possible.If in doubt contact Sheldon.