Shimano reel

D

DirectDrive

Jerry McGinnis of the Fishin' Hole (ESPN) did a show on the Columbia in the John Day reach.
They targeted smallies with jigs.
He was in direct the whole time with a spinning reel, back reeling as the fish ran.
It got my attention.

Shaun Solomon

Shaun Solomon

Yeah it’s pretty much an anachronistic behavior exhibited by smallmouth anglers. The trouble is smallies have a pretty tough jaw, so keeping a tight drag helps get them hooked, but then you are often using light line, so tight drags aren’t such a good thing once you hook them. Backreeling is the best answer. Kids don’t mess with it but old school knuckle heads like me still do it.

D

DirectDrive

Yeah it’s pretty much an anachronistic behavior exhibited by smallmouth anglers. The trouble is smallies have a pretty tough jaw, so keeping a tight drag helps get them hooked, but then you are often using light line, so tight drags aren’t such a good thing once you hook them. Backreeling is the best answer. Kids don’t mess with it but old school knuckle heads like me still do it.
With a running steelhead you have to backreel like a madman.

Shaun Solomon

Shaun Solomon

Lol I’ll just bet. I’ll have to take your word for it, I’ve never targeted them.

I did try backreeling on a bonefish once.
I was busier than a one legged cat trying to bury turds on an ice rink.

Top Bottom