Shasta Lake, California

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I friend of mine invited me to co-angler a tournament hosted by the Umpqua Valley Bass Club, im extremely grateful for the invite and had an absolute blast.

We were able to prefish for a few hours on Friday and quickly developed a pattern to finding fish, unfortunately they just weren't the size we needed.

The lake itself is incredibly low, far deeper than any freshwater I've ever fished but we stuck mostly to the bank, looking for sparse cover that only seemed to grow in specific spots. Most maps and Google Earth are pretty useless at the moment, because it's so low that nothing looks the same, only 2 boat launches that aren't dried up I believe.

We launched at 6am Saturday morning and fished until 4pm, weighed in, and sat in 6th place, I had the second largest fish in the big bass pot.

Caught fish all day long, my pb spot and largest fish of the day was 2.3lbs, second cast of the day, on a Ned rig of course. We had our bag of 5 fish in just under an hour, and continued to cull the tank with what looked decent but probably caught at least a couple dozen more fish until weigh in.

Others did not fare well so we were thinking we would be top 5, but it is what it is! Some angler's only caught 1 fish in that 10 hour span, some boats only caught 4.

1st place bag was right at 10bs, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th maybe were all around 8lbs, we had 7.9ish

Some finished were separated by 1/10th of an ounce, I don't think any largemouth or smallmouth were caught

The tournament was supposed to be 2 days, but we arrived Sunday morning and the lake was ripping, with some smaller boats in the group it wasn't worth the risk and they cancelled the 2nd day. Unfortunately some of the anglers stayed behind and said that a few hours later the wind was completely gone, and they ended up fishing all day, maybe next time!

Definitely enjoyed the sun and can't wait to get back to shasta. Huge thanks to Solomon for some tips before I left, definitely found some leads on what to throw.
e79b1fae71e4a43c445a3581db71baad.jpg
1ec5e0df11b4f0aaddb62dc86da267b0.jpg
ec814735efad4422921e2808d4274a03.jpg
fb0d04fa67fce71e87531c07cc67829c.jpg
2c79ae1a582d30c70a2f32c477742707.jpg
e8f6eed8bef517a9123a684b2bd8aab4.jpg
cfb8b4465ee01c901cef856c1771e230.jpg
211952fce31996954c8bc6539aaed08d.jpg

Reactions: O. mykiss, fromthelogo and Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Right on man, glad you had a good time.

I’d be surprised to learn I actually had anything to say that helped apart from recommending some good people to talk to.

I absolutely love spots, and I just caught my pb spot too!

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Shaun Solomon said:
Right on man, glad you had a good time.

I’d be surprised to learn I actually had anything to say that helped apart from recommending some good people to talk to.

I absolutely love spots, and I just caught my pb spot too!
Nice! I want to try and maybe target some up here, but the smallies are calling my name, some absolute giants, over 5lbs, caught recently on the Umpqua.

Reactions: Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Yeah that’s a pretty healthy smallie for that system, at least from what I’ve heard. I’ve never actually been out there. My understanding is it is a numbers factory but the size isn’t always there. Any smallie over five pounds gets my attention!

hobster
hobster
Thanks for the pics, I haven’t been there in years. Man it looks low☹️

G
Gulfstream
What Eric said. Where did you launch?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Gulfstream said:
What Eric said. Where did you launch?
Bridge bay, the closest one to the I5 bridge

Ramp is still wet, only difference is once you get to the main lake if you head east down "pit arm" there's another no wake section right before the bridge because your so close to the docks now

Few islands both marked and unmarked as you head east, it's just so low that they can't mark them all I guess. Lots of floating timber too. Nothing I'd want to hit at 75mph for sure

G
Gulfstream
Thanks!