Sevylor Fish Hunter

C
Combat Chuck
I'd love to but I'm an 8-5, M-F, live for the weekend person. Plus, the only time off that I have I'm taking to go to a concert in Portland on Tuesday! Woohoo!

C
Combat Chuck
Combat Chuck said:
gonna postpone it... Im not feeling great plus the weather is gonna suck so ill just stay home, get my gear ready, watch south park and play video games all day long;) I havent played my games in forever, they feel neglected :D Which I am completely ok with... Im enjoying working full time so that I can afford to drive and fish. Im thinking hit up Bond Butte pond Sunday (no crowd, I can get everything set up and figured out) then something else monday.

I lied... oops. It was too nice out... Everything went great. definitely shift all weight to the back though! Im gonna go post the pics in the boat thread.

Troutski
Troutski
Fisherman...

Fisherman...

Combat Chuck said:
I lied... oops. It was too nice out... Everything went great. definitely shift all weight to the back though! Im gonna go post the pics in the boat thread.

Never believe a fishermans stories.......Thanks for the heads up on the weight to the rear...thanks a million.

Chuck

B
Boywhofishes
if you really want a great boat that is small, i'd go with one of the fish hunter series, if you're a lake kind of guy i'd buy or build a floorboard and an anchor, but if you liek rivers than i wouldn't suggest the anchor considering how the current would just flow right over the boat if it was anchored. we have the fish hunter 360 with a floor board and a home-made anchor and we use it to float the willamette and parts of the Mckenzie, we also use it for lakes.

:cool:

S
scouternw
FH360 Fish Hunter 6-person

FH360 Fish Hunter 6-person

Just picked up the 360 version, took it out and found you really need two people, or a motor. One can do it but... Made a motor mount, picked up a MinnKota 55 (a little big maybe) and made a flooring piece. Will email the picture(s) if you'd like to get an idea of what is involved. Mount kits can be had for $40 at BiMart, but free is better. Tough part of any inflatable is getting high enough from water level to be comfortable. I've used one of the inflatable seats and mounted a folding stadium to it - on dry ground it feels pretty good. Maiden voyage at Harriet Mon/Tues.

J
jleepga
I recently purchased a sevylor fish hunter (the 9 foot model) and I was wondering if anyone had made a floorboard for it? I like the idea, but I'd rather not pay $140 for a floorboard. Also, if anyone has made any other additions I would be interested in hearing about them. Thanks for your help.

S
starion87le
I have the 12ft model, I went out and bought all the goodies..spent too much money, I don't know why I did that!:think:

I have the floor board, motor mount, trolling motor, boat boot, anchor...etc. Pretty much everything you can put on one. I would liek a floorboard that is much thicker, this one doesn't provide as much support as i would like.

The boat boot is really handy, really cuts down on the rolling that the boat does over wake from other boats or the wind waves. It catches the wind pretty easily and thats why I got the trolling motor, as well as I like to troll every once in a while and really cuts down on time getting to wherever you want on the lake.

Hope this helps!

Ron

J
jleepga
Thanks for the input Ron. I have heard people put plywood down for a makeshift floorboard, do you think that would be effective? Also, how does the motor mount work? I've read some reviews on it that were a little shaky. Also, what trolling motor did you throw on there?

I've only had my boat out twice, and I'm a little undecided about the motor as it would cost twice as much for the motor and all the needed extras than the original boat did. Thanks for your help.

H
Hawk
You could get a large plastic milk crate, cut the sides down (partway or all the way). Use it as a floorboard. Sounds like it would work ok. Or maybe a piece of plexiglas.

I've seen used electric trolling motors on Craigslist at reasonable prices......................:D

J
JeannaJigs
I had a 12 footer when I was a kid that my brothers and I made a floor for, we cut it out of particle board stuff, I can't remember the exact name of what it was we used, but it was real thin and smooth, but strong. Cut two pieces to the shape of each end, and hinged them so it was easier to transport and store. definitely made fishing from it more enjoyable, and it cost all of 10 bucks.

S
starion87le
jleepga said:
Thanks for the input Ron. I have heard people put plywood down for a makeshift floorboard, do you think that would be effective? Also, how does the motor mount work? I've read some reviews on it that were a little shaky. Also, what trolling motor did you throw on there?

I've only had my boat out twice, and I'm a little undecided about the motor as it would cost twice as much for the motor and all the needed extras than the original boat did. Thanks for your help.

THe motor mount works fine, have to get it on there just right or it can be a little frustrating. I didn't have it on tight enough and the left side of the transom kept popping off and I had to keep popping it back on. There are some plastic components that could be replaced by metal ones due to them being made so cheaply, but the whole thing does what it's supposed to do.

I have a Minn Kota 38lb thrust trolling motor on there. Does the trick, I bought it at Costco for like $130, which if you look around, isn't a bad price.

Plywood for the floorboard could work, but you would probably want to seal it with varnish or something of the sort to keep it from weathering too badly. Also if you do that or use the milk cartons, make sure that all the pieces that touch the raft are sanded smooth so as to not make a hole in it. I actually have to sand some spots on my floor board as it got a little marred up accidentaly.

The floorboard that is sold for it is ply wood, but is just too thin, I believe it is less than 3/8" thick and it could really do with a 1/2 to 3/4 sheet just to give it more rigidity.

Hope this helps! Next time I take it out, you're more than welcome to bring yours along and see how I have it set up.

S
steelhead1
I made a floor board for the same boat.make a template out of paper by the bottom seams.cut out a piece of 1/2 ply,staple on some outdoor type carpet,attatch foam pipe insulation around the edges,and put it in before ya blow up the boat.I cut the ply in half crosswise and put on hinges for easier transport,but this took away some of the rigidity.:D

J
jleepga
Thanks for the input everyone. I've recently upgraded to the 12 foot model (found a deal on craigslist that I couldn't pass up). I'm thinking I might try making a plywood floor, sand it down, round out the edges, and put some water proof sealant on it.

H
Hawk
imho a lid from an ol' ice chest wood make a pretty neat floor.................:D

C
ceceblue
Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

I've also have the HF360 and just bought the floorboard on Amazon for $115 - well worth it. It comes in three pieces with two aluminum channels to lock them in place. This is great for me as I don't have a PU and everything fits in the back of my SUV. Used it up at Detroit this weekend and man it was nice to be able to stand up. Also have the motor mount, no problems, fit nice and tight. JUST READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! I know how much you men love to follow directions. lol
Cheryl

Oh by the way on the Amazon web site it list the floor as being red, it's not. More of a nice brown

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Da BIG one!

Da BIG one!

Hawk said:
imho a lid from an ol' ice chest wood make a pretty neat floor.................:D

Brother Hawk;
You have a 9'-12' ice chest??!!! :shock: Hope you keep it filled with fishes!:lol:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hinged bottom

Hinged bottom

steelhead1 said:
I made a floor board for the same boat.make a template out of paper by the bottom seams.cut out a piece of 1/2 ply,staple on some outdoor type carpet,attatch foam pipe insulation around the edges,and put it in before ya blow up the boat.I cut the ply in half crosswise and put on hinges for easier transport,but this took away some of the rigidity.:D

Ummm:think: Seems to me that if you use a hinge,you might want to put the floor in with the hinge on the bottom side. That way it can't bend and will be held rigid by the force it applies to itself...maybe? Of course, you will need to pad it so it doesn't rub holes in the bottom,common sense stuff. I like the pipe insulation idea. You can use the self adhering door step thingies :)think:) from Home Depot or Lowes on the hinge. And that concludes my two cents worth of genius this morning...more coffee anyone? :D

H
Hawk
Raincatcher said:
Brother Hawk;
You have a 9'-12' ice chest??!!! :shock: Hope you keep it filled with fishes!:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

yep

J
jleepga
So the floor is all it's cracked up to be? I ordered one yesterday and I have high hopes for it. Would you be able to put a small chair in the boat? My only complaint with the fish hunter is that I sit too low.

C
ceceblue
I think so yes. While there are a lot of clever ideas on how to make one, by the time you figure in supplies and your time and making sure it's sturdy enough, fits right ect. I'd go the easy route.:)
I'm going to shop around for small seats as those little inflatable seats just don't cut it. Was thinking maybe the small seats they sell for use in a bathtub might work...
Cheryl