Santiam bank access

K
Kodiak
Bridge at gates

Bridge at gates

There is a nice slot where the river drops into the deep hole, and spinners at the botom where it starts to shallow up below by the big rock...bober and jig water or spinners. As far as the trolley, I don't know but I've heard guys talk about it.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Peeyew!

Peeyew!

Kodiak;
I went up to Packsaddle on Friday to check out the new deadline. I think I stopped too soon. :think: How far past the old one is it? I still can't believe I forgot my waders! :doh: I met a gent at the ramp when we were both leaving. He had a nice bright 7 pounder that he caught up by the big rocks to the west of the deadline. He was using a black spinner. We got there about the same time and left at the same time. The difference was I left empty handed. Can you say "PEEEYEWWW"? :wall: Next time....

Be safe.
Barb

K
Kodiak
its about 50 yrds upstream of the boat ramp. You will see the tree with orange paint all over it. Fish below the tree but above the riffle on the flat.

J
jlayman0270
First time fisherman, long time dreamer

First time fisherman, long time dreamer

I have never been steelhead fishing before today. Some chinook, but only drift fishing. I went shopping for what I could find to try to get started with summer steel. I read on this forum some of the suggestions of where to try my luck. I settled upon the N. Santiam and stopped off at the N. Santiam park at about 5:30 this morning. I was throwing hardware on the bank by 6. I felt good about the hole(s) I saw through this bend. I threw everything I had at them along with a handful of corkies, or spin-n-glo and yarn combos, spoons and spinners. I unfortunately forgot my sand shrimp in the fridge. and my bobber stops on the coffee table. But I got skunked. Since I also forgot my knife I quit at 12:00 as soon as I discovered it. So my first day out was a bummer, but I'm in love with this fish. I can't see an end to this pursuit in sight. I used to love bass, but this is soooo much better. I can't wait for more...I'm hooked (I realize there's a pun). :cool:

I could use help with being successful, and I'm a little intimidated with the idea of landing one of these beauties safely and responsibly. :shock:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Puttin in yer time

Puttin in yer time

jlayman0270 said:
I have never been steelhead fishing before today. Some chinook, but only drift fishing. I went shopping for what I could find to try to get started with summer steel. I read on this forum some of the suggestions of where to try my luck. I settled upon the N. Santiam and stopped off at the N. Santiam park at about 5:30 this morning. I was throwing hardware on the bank by 6. I felt good about the hole(s) I saw through this bend. I threw everything I had at them along with a handful of corkies, or spin-n-glo and yarn combos, spoons and spinners. I unfortunately forgot my sand shrimp in the fridge. and my bobber stops on the coffee table. But I got skunked. Since I also forgot my knife I quit at 12:00 as soon as I discovered it. So my first day out was a bummer, but I'm in love with this fish. I can't see an end to this pursuit in sight. I used to love bass, but this is soooo much better. I can't wait for more...I'm hooked (I realize there's a pun). :cool:

I could use help with being successful, and I'm a little intimidated with the idea of landing one of these beauties safely and responsibly. :shock:

There are precious few of us who don't need help with these prize fishies. There are two things I know as gospel that will improve your chances. 1) spend tons of time out on the water to learn the ways of the river. 2) spend tons of time reading through this section of the forum and any other book you can get your hands on. Oh yeah, work on getting your memory to kick in BEFORE you leave home! :think: I got half way there and realized my coffee was still on top of the Avalon in the driveway,that is a strict no-no! :naughty: But forgetting my waders??!! :shock::wall::doh: That's reason for sending me to my room!
Be safe.
Barb

R
rainman
Kodiak said:
Terrible hole, would never fish it.......Won't be takin' my son there this spring to watch him hookup his first limit. They also OFFer free beer up the north fork canyon. All jokes aside the North Fork has WAY more access and fewer people.

Free beer ?? I love you, man !!

S
sturgeonvirgin
santiam bank access

santiam bank access

wow, this is great info , thanks. Im new to fishing for steelies, salmon. I mostly have fished lakes. I just got my first sturgeon last week and I am amped to get more. When do the winter steelhead generally arrive in the santiam?

T
TTFishon
I thought I'd bump this thread since It's getting near that time of year and I plan on fishing this system this year. Kodiak shared a lot of info here. There might be some people that missed this thread. Thanks Kodiak!

K
Kodiak
TTFishon said:
I thought I'd bump this thread since It's getting near that time of year and I plan on fishing this system this year. Kodiak shared a lot of info here. There might be some people that missed this thread. Thanks Kodiak!

You are most certainly welcome...Fish on!

S
SantiamDrifter
LOL free beer and bait! I've fished the north for 15 years and have never seen a sign for free beer and bait haha. But I must say the road kill jerky is pretty darn tasty. And its not a complete day in the summer without stopping at the gingerbread house for some icecream. mhmmmm :)

S
santiamsailor
Kodiak said:
its about 50 yrds upstream of the boat ramp. You will see the tree with orange paint all over it. Fish below the tree but above the riffle on the flat.

Yes and make sure you don't cast even a few feet up from that Orange mark. OSHP likes to hide in the bushes.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Time to pop this post back up....Thanks again Kodiak ;~)

J
JamesB
I drove by the Bluffs today and saw boulders and fencing with No Trespassing signs blocking where I normally park. Very disappointing.

S
Specialed
I'm not surprizied-I stopped by there to checi it out shortly after seeing Kodiaks post. What I saw made me want to puke! Lots of LLE(low life evidince) There were dirty diapers, garbage, pop and beer cans, cigarette butts and you name it. Too bad for a few idiots ruining a beautiful spot such as this!
JamesB said:
I drove by the Bluffs today and saw boulders and fencing with No Trespassing signs blocking where I normally park. Very disappointing.

B
branden28
Love this thread come to it often hoping to find new locations to fish anybody out there with new or updated info. Would LOVE to see this thread live on

M
Messymitch
What a gem of a thread! I was thinking I need to get on the Santiam more. Just didn't know of any good spots. Anyone update some areas that ate good this time of year? Preferably 30 mins or so from South Salem? A cold beer or two may be in order, ha!

J
jlayman0270
Messymitch said:
What a gem of a thread! I was thinking I need to get on the Santiam more. Just didn't know of any good spots. Anyone update some areas that ate good this time of year? Preferably 30 mins or so from South Salem? A cold beer or two may be in order, ha!

I would suggest a copy of Fishing in Oregon. That's how I found all of my new spots. I found a used copy on Amazon for 8 bucks.

M
Messymitch
jlayman0270 said:
I would suggest a copy of Fishing in Oregon. That's how I found all of my new spots. I found a used copy on Amazon for 8 bucks.

What edition did you pick up? Do you know if the older editions are still relevant?

Thanks!

J
jlayman0270
Messymitch said:
What edition did you pick up? Do you know if the older editions are still relevant?

Thanks!

I got the ninth edition. Its a little old, but the river and the fishing holes are all still there as described.

B
branden28
just picked up a copy for 4 bucks on amazon 9th edition