Sandy River, Gonna Catch A Steelhead.

H
halibuthitman
cedar creek is closed to steel head fishing.... but where it dumps in the sandy is a great stretch of water. the trick is very early.... sunrise;)

A
Anyfishisfine
halibuthitman said:
cedar creek is closed to steel head fishing.... but where it dumps in the sandy is a great stretch of water. the trick is very early.... sunrise;)

Funny thing is the fish there seem to get active around 10AM. Everything wakes up. That's when the deer come down, and the swans come out, and the fish start jumping like crazy.

I've seen this every time I've been there. But you do need to show up early to claim a spot. The fee collector said I was the first in the gate this morning (I literally woke her up). When I left there was a line of 10 cars waiting to get in.

H
halibuthitman
I was told the 9-10 deal too, but all my action the two times Ive been there has been at the crack of dawn... then nothing but watchin em jump:( you actually hookin up at 10 ish?:think:

T
Troutier Bassier
HalibutHitMan,
How many did ya Catch???

A
Anyfishisfine
halibuthitman said:
I was told the 9-10 deal too, but all my action the two times Ive been there has been at the crack of dawn... then nothing but watchin em jump:( you actually hookin up at 10 ish?:think:

I caught my springer there at 10:30 AM. I think Mgdguy said he caught his winter around the same time. But yeah, it's mostly all jumping and no bite.

H
halibuthitman
T-B The first morning I caught 1 fought 2 and missed a very firm strike, the second morning I got one to the beach lost one and fished a fly missing the whole bottom of the hook till I left DOH! but action as far as catching was in bursts and I found it kinda strange, Im used to a little more consistent waters:confused:

T
Troutier Bassier
How do you get there? Take the Hatchery road?

H
halibuthitman
park early at the hatchery parking lot, wait for another car and fisherman to show up and follow them down the trail to the river, about3/4 of a mile or so.

A
Anyfishisfine
halibuthitman said:
fished a fly missing the whole bottom of the hook till I left DOH!

Haha, I can relate. I missed one last weekend, and kept fishing. When I finally looked at my jig the point of the hook was bent over from a snag when I first got there. On my first cast the float hit the water and a steelhead jumped out from under it. 2 Missed opportunities in one day.

M
mgdguy
Anyfishisfine said:
I caught my springer there at 10:30 AM. I think Mgdguy said he caught his winter around the same time. But yeah, it's mostly all jumping and no bite.

You're correct Anyfish - 10:45am. But it was a summer ;)

I call 10am to 11am the "Magic Hour" for steelhead. If the bite is on, that's when I usually have the most action. Of course you still have to get up at the butt crack of dawn in order to claim your spot :rolleyes:

T
Troutier Bassier
Better then waking up at 2A.M and going to the Lewis river. And having your dad say "The water is too Murky, We can't catch anything, lets go home." And leaving.

H
halibuthitman
Troutier Bassier said:
Better then waking up at 2A.M and going to the Lewis river. And having your dad say "The water is too Murky, We can't catch anything, lets go home." And leaving.

OUCH!!! dang, makes you just jones for that drivers license! my dad used to do that to me too!:confused:

F
FishSchooler
my dad kinda does that, but he either needs to take a *@#! an hour in or falls in the creek/river...

T
Troutier Bassier
I dont need a Drives Lisence,
Im saving up for a Pocket Bike!
I saw a 49cc Chrome Pocket Rocket on Craigslist.

B
beaverfan
Do yourself a favor and get a gas scooter instead. At least you can legally ride those on the street. I don't know about Gresham but most places have banned pocket bikes on the public streets. Scooters you can pretty much ride wherever. Same laws a bikes in Beaverton.

T
Troutier Bassier
Ride with Freedom.