Salmon fishing in Yemen

S
Spydeyrch
I have been waiting for this movie to come to either DVD or online (legally). It was in the Toronto films festival and in a film festival here in portland. But I didn't get to see it. I am stoked to watch it right now!! I found it (finally!!!) on amazon.com. For $4 I can rent it. It looks pretty good. Here is dr. wiki says about it:

Alfred “Fred” Jones (McGregor) is a man with Asperger’s syndrome[4] who is the British government expert in salmon fisheries. When consultant Harriet Chetwode-Talbot (Blunt), representing a wealthy Yemeni sheikh (Waked), asks for help to fulfill the sheikh’s vision to introduce salmon fishing to the desert country of Yemen, Fred rejects the idea as unfeasible. However, the Prime Minister's press secretary, Patricia Maxwell (Scott Thomas) fastens onto it as a “good will” story of Anglo-Arab cooperation to distract the voters from ongoing bad news out of Afghanistan, and pressures Fred into working with Harriet and the sheikh to implement the project. He gradually comes to believe in the sheikh’s quest. Estranged from his career-minded wife, Fred falls in love with Harriet, whose boyfriend Robert (Mison) has just gone missing in action in the war. After Fred declares his love to Harriet, Robert returns alive, requiring her to choose between the two men. The fish are released and the project seems to be succeeding, but it is sabotaged by local militants who destroy the salmon runs. But when Fred sees some fish have survived, he regains his faith, and Harriet joins him to fulfill the sheikh’s vision.

Any of you seen it yet? :think: What was your take on it?

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
i \

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
I watched it tonight on payperview.....it wasn't that good IMO....There wasn't that much flyfishing in it and what was seemed pathetic to me....seemed they flailed about worse than me...hehe. some chickflickish stuff in it.

C
cddunn
Redbox too. Pass on it.

J
JeannaJigs
haven't seen it but good god that plot sounds horrible LOL

C
ChezJfrey
From a review on Rotten Tomatoes: "Is there any genre more wearying than the plodding, fat-brained adaptation of last year's book club favourite? "

Yeah, I was skeptical, but after reading that and having been subjected to the quote's premise a time or two in the past, I'm now sure.

H
halibuthitman
much like a river runs through it... the movie isn't really about flyfishing... theres an underlying meaning and symbolism.. but yeah, it really sucked.

Top Bottom