Salmon fishing in Salem

K
kayakkid
I am wondering if it would be a good use of my time to fish for Salmon, in the downtown Wallace park area?

D
Drew9870
I have wondered the same thing, I do most of my Carp fishing across the river at the Riverfront dock, and I am wanting to find some tips on Sturgeon and the Salmon. I would guess to use spinners since they probably won't be eating much in the sluggish Willamette water, so you are probably better off looking to get a reaction strike.

When do you plan on trying? I could probably make it down there if the weather isn't too extreme. I have been craving some fresh smoked Salmon for the past couple months, and some eggs would come in handy.

Hopefully a few strays are cruising around the area

Last edited:
K
kayakkid
But they aren't really strays, they all have to travel through Salem to get to all the rivers further south...

D
Drew9870
By stray, I meant a late springer or an early fall fish. I went out to Wallace today and tried off the dock towards the end of the day when it wasn't busy, I mainly tossed a #5 and a #6 Blue Fox, but I tried drift fishing a spin n glo setup with red + orange yarn towards the end of the day, not as many weeds as I expected.

I really look forward to hooking into a fall run fish on the bank of the Willamette, I am more experienced in trolling for salmon, so it's kinda tough to learn where the fish run through when you can't cover as much water.

M
mudslinging79
ive been looking for an area to fish here in salem, im like 3 minutes away from the park off of wallace road...

D
Drew9870
I was out there sometime towards the end of last week and floated eggs, drifted corky and yarn, and tossed spinners. Lots of Squaws tearing up the eggs, and I actually saw one dark Salmon (probably 12lbs) roll out of the water close to the upstream side of the new walk bridge on the riverfront side.