Sage Approach

B
BlueWater
I've been offered a decent price on a unused Sage Approach, 8'6", 3wt. It's Sage's entry rod. Anyone have any experience with this line-up?

AND: what's the lightest weight you's go with for Coho. No, I would never use the 3wt for coho. I'm trying to decide whether I should add a heavier coho rod or take this deal for the lighter trout rod.

Thanks.

F
fishingduck
From my limited understanding it's not so much the weight of the rod but the match between line, fly and fish. You could land a coho on a 3wt rod but it would be like hitting a bowling ball with a tennis racket trying to get 2x line and a weighted size 4 wooly bugger out more than 10'. I have caught my share of all kinds of fish and have yet to have a line break - knots yes - line no, so I go light. I currently use a 7/8 sage with 7 line and 5x leader and have no problem landing steelhead up to 12lbs, but most are 8-9lbs, ok most are 6-7lbs, alright most are 4-5lbs...alright most are just trout that get really big after I let them go.

I've been waiting awhile on a rod being built by a guy from steelhead stalkers. It's supposed to be lighter than air and stronger than steel with more feeling than a hormonal teenage girl...talk is cheap but the rod isn't, so we'll see when the rod is in hand.

My advice buy the sage for trout and take a look at the spey rods for coho.

S
Spydeyrch
fishingduck said:
... It's supposed to be lighter than air and stronger than steel with more feeling than a hormonal teenage girl...

That right there was worth reading this post!!! Hillarious!!! hahahaha :lol:

-Spydey

B
BlueWater
I'd never try the 3wt for coho. I'm choosing between buying the sage as a lght trout rod, or to pass it by and get a 7wt for coho.

Tough choice for me. Trout are always in the rivers, but salmon are only around for a couple of months. I could go with the great deal on the 3wt Sage or I could save up a bit more $$$ and hunt for a switch rod. Decisions, decisions. I don't think I'd go with a spey rod because I've already had to beg for help trying to learn how to do a one-handed spey cast!

I catch the same kind fo fish you've been catching on my 5wt ROFLMAO. I thought a 3wt would either make it more fun or it would make the fish even bigger when I let them go. Thank you. I appreciate the answer. Really appreciate it.

H
hydropsyche
Choose according to your main fishing desires personly i use my 3wt and 7 wt switch equally sometimes on the same day.

B
BlueWater
hydropsyche said:
Choose according to your main fishing desires personly i use my 3wt and 7 wt switch equally sometimes on the same day.

Thanks. I have a very old 5wt that I'm finding is a bit heavy for the small local trout but too small for larger species. I can do one new rod at this time and I think I'll go with the 3wt right now and save up for a good 7wt.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts.