Round Lake

E
EBT
Hi, all,

Let me introduce myself, as this is my first post on the Oregon forum, and I'm asking for help. Before I do that, I'd like to offer to answer any questions folks may have about WA fly fishing spots, especially those in the northern half of the state. I lived in WA for 33 years, and have fished most of the productive lakes in the northern half (both west and east of the Cascades), and most of the rivers as well - mostly a trout person, but occasionally steelhead when there were some in WA. Most of the lakes I fished in WA have quality regs (no bait, C&R or a two fish limit with a 16" minimum, etc.). I do fish the occasional standard regs lake, but mostly those that require a short hike.

I moved to Amity (near McMinnville) to be near family, just in time for the COVID shutdown. I've been out a couple times, including a very good two days at Lake Harriet in early June, mostly stockers but a few holdovers, and a few wild browns and cutts. I look forward to returning.

My last trip, yesterday, didn't go so well. I tried to follow two sets of directions to get to Round Lake, off the Breitenbush Road (FR 46). I wanted to go because I've been told it holds a good number of wild brooks and browns. Both sets of directions led to a closed road. The Gazetteer I had with me, indicated that road was open, and the directions were from two different Oregon fly fishing books. As I had limited time, I left frustrated. I stopped at the Forest Service office at Detroit Lake, but it was closed. Since that's the second time I tried to stop at the office, and it was closed both times, I assume that it's COVID related. So, can anyone help me get to Round? Thanks!

Reactions: Gleakster and Admin
troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to Oregon and to OFF. Good of you to OFFer your insights into your former Northern Washington turf.

Just looking at the map it appears to be no easy task, to find Round Lake! Holy cow! Seems, to me, like more trouble than it's worth IMO.

Timothy Lake is a MUCH easier, and larger, place to find. And also has the same OFFerings. There is also Ollalie Lake too.

Get yourself a copy of Maddy Diness Sheehan's "Fishing in Oregon". You'll get up to speed quite quickly.

E
EBT
Thanks, Troutdude! I've got Lewis's FF Guide to Oregon, and one of John Shewey's books mentions Round as well. I do like lakes without the hubbub of Harriet and Timothy. And I did drive to Timothy on the same trip - I think I'm overwhelmed by lakes that size :) Most of the lakes I fish regularly are 15 - 200 acres, with a couple of exceptions. I will definitely give Ollalie a try; the size is good and Shewey's book says it's a no-motor lake, which is a huge plus.

I'll give you an idea of what I like - I still look back fondly at a day at Rainy Lake in WA - 5000' elevation, waterfall into the lake off a sheer cliff, paved 1 mile trail, and nobody fishing it on a bluebird August day, except for my step-daughter and me. Tons of wild cutthroat to hand. Those days make me smile. And her too!

Reactions: troutdude
E
EBT
Just checked my note - Weber, not Lewis is the first author.

S
sktamura
The Detroit Ranger station is closed to visitors, but they still answer phone calls during business hours.

Try calling them at 503-854-3366 Monday-Saturday 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m .

You can also email them at Detroit Ranger District

E
EBT
Thanks, Sktamura. I didn't realize that, and the one time I called, I got no answer. Probably should have been more persistent.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Hi, I believe round lake is hike in only but it is a short hike (1/4 mile or so?) That might be the answer to your road closed questions. I had never made it there, but a friend gave me directions a long time ago. If I can find any more info I’ll shoot you a PM. It is mostly small fish but they are all self sustaining wild brookies and browns.

E
EBT
Thanks, Brandon. That's my understanding as well. But I'm told that, if you're on the right road, you can get to the old parking lot, and walk from there. I'll keep trying and let you know. Nothing compares to fishing for wild trout in solitude. I had 3 lakes in Washington that I frequented that met that criterion and I'm hoping to find one or more in Oregon :)

F
furflinger
Last time I went up there was end of 2018-
It’s a drive but a nice litttle lake-
I could PM you how I got there-

E
EBT
Thanks FF, I'd appreciate that!

B
Ballgame
You ever fish Dry Falls Lake in Northern/central Washington? one of my favorites. Where I learned to fly fish from a float tube. Anyway one of my favorite lakes to fish is Rainbow lake just past Idanha. Beautiful small lake with lots of decent sized wild Brook trout. If you go mid week or really anytime after mid September you will have the whole lake to yourself and the damselfly hatch is unreal (1000's of blue dragflies on the water). Takes a 4x4 rig to get into.

E
EBT
Thanks, Ballgame. I'd understood that Rainbow is on private property; I keep hearing that it's open and I'll be glad to give it a try. And yes, I fished Dry Falls often. It's going through a bit of a slump the last couple of years, but I love its fall callibaetis hatches. And its spring midge hatches. And its browns when they want to chase leeches. And its amazing beauty. I don't like the rattlesnakes though :(

B
Ballgame
EBT said:
Thanks, Ballgame. I'd understood that Rainbow is on private property; I keep hearing that it's open and I'll be glad to give it a try. And yes, I fished Dry Falls often. It's going through a bit of a slump the last couple of years, but I love its fall callibaetis hatches. And its spring midge hatches. And its browns when they want to chase leeches. And its amazing beauty. I don't like the rattlesnakes though :(
It is private property but the gate has been open the last several years as long as people continue to pack out their trash it should continue to be open. Speaking of rattle snakes I had one try to climb onto my float tube once at Dry Falls in the middle of the lake.

E
EBT
Never had one that close, but saw several at that lake. How rough is the road into Rainbow? I drive an old Honda Element (the boxy UV); it's handy and tough, but front-wheel drive.

B
Ballgame
EBT said:
Never had one that close, but saw several at that lake. How rough is the road into Rainbow? I drive an old Honda Element (the boxy UV); it's handy and tough, but front-wheel drive.
Its not the best road but I would think that your Element could get in to it. There is 1 spot that washed out and created a fairly large dip on one side. I usually just throw a 2*4 in the back just in case to bridge that gap for my drivers side tire...although I haven't been since last Sept so it may be better by now.

E
EBT
That info is much appreciated. When the weather cools down, I hope to report on the fishing.