Rookie fisherman taking family of 4 to fish on Detroit Lake

J
jpwhit1
Headed out tomorrow morning on a rental boat to catch our lunch. I haven't fished in 20+ years.. Other than poles, any reccomendations on the basics i should pick up at Bimart today? I appreciate the input! :)

B
beaverfan
Do you plan on anchoring or trolling around?

J
jpwhit1
probably just anchor..

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
Reactions: beaverfan
J
jpwhit1
Thanks a ton!

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

Yep. Everything that Randy mentioned. He's one of the best fisherpeeps on here.

There's only one thing that I do differently, and that's use Magnum Power Eggs, instead of Power Bait. Same colors, but have also used Green, Pink and White too. Sometimes those buggers only want one color to eat.

Anchor up where the creeks or rivers flow in.

And the Breitenbush arm, just got stocked w/ several thousand eager trout.

Good luck!

Last edited:
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
You're most welcome Randy. But, based upon your still water posts...I think I'm right on the money. What does Calvin charge anyway??? Ha ha ha...

Now back on track...JP...

Off of Hwy. 22--and just past Detroit Lake State Park--is where Tumble Creek flows into the lake. There is a ODOT Highway maintenance shack on the lakeside with heavy equipment rigs parked in there. You can walk down and fish OFF of that point. Or, just park your boat in the middle of the flow, anchor up, and fish all around.

I C & R'd about 30 trout in that spot a month ago. We marked fish from 4' deep (next to the shore) out into pockets that were 20 - 30' deep. There were fish everywhere.

Again, good luck! Oh...and please do let us know how you and your family do.