Odell 5/4/22

jamisonace
jamisonace
Quick report on Odell.

Left Roseburg at 3am and was on the water at 5:45. Reports were that the fish were congregated on the East end so we launched at Sunset Cove (Paradise was not open). All the boats were headed to fish in the cove in front of Odell Lake Resort but my buddy felt we should head towards Paradise. We spent the first 45 minutes of the day trying to find schools between Sunset and Paradise and they were not there. We motored back to the East end and started marking fish. A few minutes after we got there the jumpers started going and there were clearly a lot of fish. We hooked 5 pretty quick targeting jumpers and dropped down and jigged when the schools came through. Never got one jigging which was weird because they were huge schools. When the jumper bite ended and we weren't getting bit jigging we decided to troll 4 rods, two for Kokanee and 2 for Mackinaw. We never caught another Kokanee but we did manage 4 Mackinaw between Sunset and Paradise. We tried to keep the boat in 120' of water and ran the down riggers about 15' off the bottom. It was one of my least productive days on Odell but I'll probably head back up in a few weeks and see if the bite picks up.

The Kokanee were larger than I've seen them in a few years. The fish we landed were all chunky 12-13 inch fish. We usually expect between 20 and 40 when we go and that would be a nice haul with these sized fish.

The Macks were all between 18 and 24 inches.

I would have preferred to keep Kokanee fishing over Mack fishing. With the size of the fish we were getting it would have been worth it to go home with 5 to 10 each.

Last edited:
Reactions: troutdude, fish4food, plumbertom and 1 other person
4labs
4labs
Odell has been real tough for me the past 2 yrs. Mark tons of fish and little to show. Haven't had a 30 fish day for some time
The road to Paulina opens the 12th and Detroit will PU in a week
For now Dorena has been a blast
At least you caught some Macks
Great report

jamisonace
jamisonace
4labs said:
Odell has been real tough for me the past 2 yrs. Mark tons of fish and little to show. Haven't had a 30 fish day for some time
The road to Paulina opens the 12th and Detroit will PU in a week
For now Dorena has been a blast
At least you caught some Macks
Great report
I've done well at Dorena in May in past years. Boat load of kids and limits all around. You trout fishing or bass fishing?

4labs
4labs
We'll be out tomorrow (wed) at Dorena after 12pm in a friend's drift boat pulling plugs for planters
Been out 5 times and limits every time in 2-3 hrs. Fish are 10-16" and getting fatter plus the meat is starting to orange up
They didn't plant it for some reason with the numbers of past yrs still seem to be enough but at this rate of guys fishing it
will get tougher without any more plants. Saw a bass just under the dock at Baker bay that had to be pushing 8#
Res is full and we did fish in Jan when it was empty(1%) with no luck
Will hit Diamond after all the storm systems stop

Last edited:
Reactions: jamisonace