Rod questions

F
FernRidgeChamp
LOL< Jeeze guys.

I'm booking marking this page, pretty awesome info there however, none makes since. I'm gonna go grab a 6 wt. tomorrow if I can find it, get a okuma reel and give it a shot. I'll take some pics and try and get them on here for my first fly fishing experiment. I'm you tubing flyfishing right now, learning as much as possible. Reps for you all,

FRC

F
FernRidgeChamp
OK, so I figured out that wt. = lb test... I think. I went to bi-mart but decided I will wait until next week and get a nice okuma rod and reel both around $50 each. It's a 5wt. but they have either 5 or 7 and I feel 5 is much more practical. It's also a 9 foot rod so hopefully this will benefit me flying from my pontoon. Let me know what you think about this.

What are some top brands and colors of line and leader? I'm fishing a lake and probably dry fly mostly.

Also found that bi-mart carries the cannon mini-troll downrigger and a 12v battery for my fish finder that’s coming in soon. I'm going to have to find a way to re-charge it though; I cannot afford the charger until next week. I can just re-charge it like a car battery right? With jumper cables.... whew, I'm going to have to look all this up.
FRC

S
Sage_Flyguy
I recently bought a Sage Flight 9' 5 wt and I couldn't be happier... As for fly line , I don't know what your budget is , but Rio Grand fly line you might find a little more helpful depending on your experience... The Rio Grand is half a size bigger so it allows for your rod to load up easier. If you are not wanting to spend the $70 for a quality fly line , I would definitely look for getting a wf ( weight Forward ) line ... for the same reasons , its helps beginners feel the rod a little better as it loads a little easier.

As for the weight personally I believe a 5wt will accommodate most peoples fishing just fine.. I haven't landed anything real big on my 5wt , its perfect for trout and I have landed some decent small mouths on it , it has plenty of backbone.. The guys at my local fly shop have promised me my 5wt will land any steelhead I decide to hook into..

I hope any of this is informative
Good Luck to ya
Jer

J
joesnuffy
Sage_Flyguy said:
The guys at my local fly shop have promised me my 5wt will land any steelhead I decide to hook into..
Jer

LOL, It can be done but good luck :p

O
OnTheFly
Steelie on a 5wt

Steelie on a 5wt

Could be done yes but you'd be in it for the long haul especially if the fish found some current. An 8 1/2lb summer almost took all what my 7wt had in it.

O
OnTheFly
What are some top brands and colors of line and leader? I'm fishing a lake and probably dry fly mostly.

Don't forget to get an extra spool for your reel. You will fish 90% of the time with intermediate sinking line because that amount of fly fishing is done sub-surface. Start out trolling (slowwwwly) with a wooly bugger pattern and enough line out to equal about 12 - 15 pulls from the reel to the first guide. If fish start to rise, match the insect and change out to floating line.

As for line; The intermediate Cortland Camo or clear does pretty well.:)

M
mlw
re lines, it does pay to get the best quality flyline you can afford, Rio is very good, but $$, Scientific Anglers are good, I am not a big fan of Cortland lines.

Re steelhead, while you can land a steelhead on a 5 wt, it is a bad idea. It is impossible to know if you will catch a native or a hatchery fish, and you would have to play them too long, endangering the fishes life.

Michael

F
FernRidgeChamp
So I went back to bi-mar t and purchased a book "The Fish Bums Guide To Catching Larger Trout"

ABout half way through it already and it's teaching me a lot. I need a beginners book now to understand what he is talking about but I feel I am really getting the most of it.

FRC

O
OnTheFly
mlw said:
re lines, it does pay to get the best quality flyline you can afford, Rio is very good, but $$, Scientific Anglers are good, I am not a big fan of Cortland lines.

Michael

Hey mlw, You're right. Scientific Angler is probably better. I have used my Cortland for a long time now (8 years) and it seems to be getting more boyant for some reason. I even gave it a good cleaning and it still hangs on the surface too long. I'm going to try a SA line next. But I gotta tell ya, it casts real nice and I've caught hundreds of fish with it during that time.

M
Markcanby
For your first spool go with scientific angler cause you will probably trash most of the line learning to cast. As for type wt forward an tapered really aren't different tell you get 60' out so its gona be a bit before that matters. Floating or sinking? Well that depends are you fishing lakes if not go floating. If you do hit a lake you can add some extra tippet that's only if you bought the same reel I have an can't change spools.