Rock chucks?

A
alseaalumaweld
anyone ever hunt rock chucks? been planing a trip to idaho for 2 year but it never works out. maybe next spring will be the year. seen a few in prinvill last fall and outside of bend.

N
natro
Yeah I used to do that with my dad and a couple of his buddies years back. We used to go over to eastern Washington (I used to live in Washington). We used to go and hunt rock chucks and coyotes with a .223, and sage rats with a .22. It was quite a bit of fun to do.

A
alseaalumaweld
ya i hate east or and wash for big game hunting. im a coasty i like my trees haha. but been a few time for rat hunts its allrite. 7mm does a great job killing them ha

A
alseaalumaweld
allways had better luck with coyotes on the coast vs over east. but rock chucks is a new game never tryed it

J
JAFO
:cool:Hit em where their belly meets the ground with a 220 Swift at 300 yards, makes Rat fly like Bird.

A
alseaalumaweld
haha i bet it does. i shoot a 7mm 140gn b tip hand loads blows pretty much everthing up. or a 222 with 67gn hollow points :)

G
GDBrown
JAFO said:
:cool:Hit em where their belly meets the ground with a 220 Swift at 300 yards, makes Rat fly like Bird.

I remember those days. I use to hunt them in Utah decades ago and it was always fun to see them fly! I was shooting a 6MM Remington back then, 300 yards was a close shot for some of them. Lots of fun when the farmers wanted us to come clean them out for them. Haven't seen any in years now and the area we used to hunt now has cabins all over the hills.

GD

A
alseaalumaweld
ya same story i hear everwhere everone killed them all 20 years ago ha