Rock Bass at Rockaway

J
jrundstrom
Ok, not exactly at Rockaway, but at the North Jetty at Garibaldi.
This summer (August) I was in the area for a few days and found where the rock bass were: right where you pull into the first parking lot after crossing the railroad tracks. Just walked over the rocks and started fishing on the incoming tide. Limited out in a couple hours each day using a 3/8 oz. jig head with a pearl-white rubber eel about 4 inches long. No big whoop. Just cast out, maybe 75 feet and counted down either 5, 10 or 15 seconds until I started getting the acthung, baby. If the line was tight I could feel the pick up as it dropped. Often just the slow reel back did the job. Lots of action if I kept moving- catch one, move ten yards, catch another, move ten more...

Anyway, so I'm thinking, "Hey, I'm a true stud of rock bassin'" and then I read on this forum about the night fishing at Tillamook. I went back at night and there I was humbled when I saw a guy with a serious spot light (forget trying a flashlight) and a big battery. He shined the light onto the water and the fish were hitting the surface like trout on the Gallatin. Every cast this guy made that didn't end up fouled by the abundant sea weed resulted in a strike and usually a fish. He probably caught 15 in the 45 minutes I watched. He just took the ones that were big enough and tossed the squeakers back.

It's a little far from Eugene for me to drive to Tillamook Bay so, finally now, here's the question:
Can I be a true Black Rock Bassmaster from the jetty in Florence using a spotlight? I caught a keeper ling there last summer on the same rig I used for the bass at Tillamook bay but never even got a hit, I think, from a bass. Has anyone had success and has anyone tried it at night?

Thanks.
JR

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF; glad you joined us!

Yep. Sea Bass at night are a HOOT (at least OFF of the south jetty at Newport)! I only did it once, but it was one of most fun fishing trips I've ever had. Here's the secrets:

Work your way out a bit onto a finger Jetty
Shoot for a MINUS tide, that starts to go out just before dark (the food supply gets washed OFF the rocks and right up in front of you
Facing the bay side of the jetty...fling a floating Rapala out
Let it sit...reel slowly...sit...twitch...reel slowly...you get the idea (SLOW w/ twitches)
BAM! FISH ON!

Phase 2...turn and face the ocean side as the tide comes back in
Repeat all of the steps above

BUT, do NOT wait too long...you do NOT want to be on the finger jetty and have the tide grab you!

And be Careful. Those rocks are Slippery and it would be easy to break a leg.

One more thing. If you don't already know this...do NOT grab the fish, to remove the hook. They have NASTY and SHARP spine gizmo's that feel like an ice pick when they stab you!!! Just pinch inside the jaw to paralyze them, just like freshwater bass.

Enjoy!

P.S. It's even more fun with no or limited lighting!

J
jrundstrom
Really? Without artificial light? That sounds much better than lugging extra gear out there. I hope to be in Newport this week so if I get to try this I'll let you know how it worked.
troutdude said:
Welcome to OFF; glad you joined us!

Yep. Sea Bass at night are a HOOT (at least OFF of the south jetty at Newport)! I only did it once, but it was one of most fun fishing trips I've ever had. Here's the secrets:

Work your way out a bit onto a finger Jetty
Shoot for a MINUS tide, that starts to go out just before dark (the food supply gets washed OFF the rocks and right up in front of you
Facing the bay side of the jetty...fling a floating Rapala out
Let it sit...reel slowly...sit...twitch...reel slowly...you get the idea (SLOW w/ twitches)
BAM! FISH ON!

Phase 2...turn and face the ocean side as the tide comes back in
Repeat all of the steps above

BUT, do NOT wait too long...you do NOT want to be on the finger jetty and have the tide grab you!

And be Careful. Those rocks are Slippery and it would be easy to break a leg.

One more thing. If you don't already know this...do NOT grab the fish, to remove the hook. They have NASTY and SHARP spine gizmo's that feel like an ice pick when they stab you!!! Just pinch inside the jaw to paralyze them, just like freshwater bass.

Enjoy!

P.S. It's even more fun with no or limited lighting!

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. As I recall, we only used a flashlight and a small coleman lantern.

S
sbrooks
what do you mean eel jig? Is there no curly tail on the end of them?

D
Drew9870
sbrooks said:
what do you mean eel jig? Is there no curly tail on the end of them?

I think you got the right idea, probably like a sluggo style I would imagine. Curly tail Grubs work good also.

J
jrundstrom
Yep, that's right. A solid piece of rubber which just tapers down. According to the package it's called "The Fluke" by the Zoom Bait Company. (Uh, honest I don't work for them...I'm sure anything even close to this style, purchased in any bait shop, would work. I'm just letting you know what I actually used).

I even cut the little forked tails off of them.

I got the idea to use these 30 years ago when a guy suggested something very similar on that very spot on the Tillamook jetty...These are still the good ol' days, I guess.
This setup worked for me also back then but, personally, I just never had been as consistently successful as I was last August.
Oh, and I was using a pretty heavy rig because I was afraid of snagging. As it was I never lost even one of these jigs in the rocks, (kept above them) which was nice. Now I'd probably go with medium-action rod and 10 pound-ish test line.

Have fun out there.

Drew9870 said:
I think you got the right idea, probably like a sluggo style I would imagine. Curly tail Grubs work good also.

Last edited:
S
skunk
Thanks for the info guys. I've wanted to try the jetty in Newport at night but didn't want to go to all that work if it wasn't worth it. Sounds like I'm going to have to give it a go sometime.

troutdude
troutdude
Funny, but I was just thinking about that again today. The one and only time,that I fished w/ rapala's for those Newport bass, was about 30 years ago. I'd love to do it again.

Maybe we can plan an OFF get together, in the spring or summer?

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
Funny, but I was just thinking about that again today. The one and only time,that I fished w/ rapala's for those Newport bass, was about 30 years ago. I'd love to do it again.

Maybe we can plan an OFF get together, in the spring or summer?

sounds fun to me..ill sit out at highway 22 and hitch a ride from someone LOL. but really,it would be a good time..and good dinner too. ive also had success off the jetty with believe it or not... ROOSER TAILS!!! same black old rooster i always use also tried nightcrawlers and they work good for lings...i vote spring because the sooner the better :D

L
lpitzen
Why wait till spring? These were from 12/06/2010.

• P1010171.JPG
  • P1010172.JPG