River or stream near Wickiup Reservoir

D
djonathang
Hello All,

I will be traveling to Wickiup in a couple weeks. I'd like to troll for trout for a day or two, but also get out and do some fly fishing. Any choice streams or rivers to recommend in that area?

Thank you.

DG

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

The Deschutes flows right into (and I believe through) Wickiup.

D
djonathang
I wasn't sure if that area of the Dechutes has good fishing.

DG

M
markasd
Ya gotta get over to Fall River if your that close.... Pretty fun stream, home to some decent sized Rainbows - hardy browns down below the falls.... check the regs though, dont remember the closure dates below the falls. Some really good top water action on that river - think small, really small. One of the largest 'bows on the surface for me there - it took a #22 bwo and came up for it from about 8-10' deep.... pretty cool to watch it all go down!

Good luck if ya go there...
mark

F
fisherwilly
djonathang said:
I wasn't sure if that area of the Dechutes has good fishing.

DG
The Deschutes that runs from Crane Prarie into Wickiup has some good fishing. You will have to content with everybody else who wants to fish it. Just park at the 42 rd. bridge and try to find a spot. The Fall River is also a good place to fish. The whole upper Deschutes and below the Falls on Fall River opened on Sat. May 22. Good Luck.

Fisherwilly

D
djonathang
Hello All,

Thank you so, so much for your input on this. I'm hoping for a superb trip. A bit of trolling, and a bit of fly fishing. I'll research the area you described, and take your advice on suggested locations.

One last question: Is there a fly shop in the area that I can visit when I arrive to get a handle on best flies for that period of time? I'll be coming from the Klamath Falls area.

Best,

DG

Last edited:
S
steelheadstalker31
There is a fly shop near Sun River. I've been in there a few times and the owner was very nice and helpful. I'm sure he would give you the info you need. Sunriver Fly Shop (541) 593-8814‎.

troutdude
troutdude
Simply "being" in that area is enjoyable. But, I also hope you get into some big browns or 'bows!