Reel seating on the rod

S
Spydeyrch
So after I talked to the store attendant, I got home, threw on my reel to my rod, attached some tippet to my leader, tied on a little pink bit of yarn and started casting in the yard. Man did it feel good to have my own rod!!!! The reel didn't pose any issues, as of yet. I didn't feel it jiggle around at all and it felt snug. I just need to get a fish on it now and see if it has any issues there. Wish me luck!!!

I think that I am going to be out practicing every afternoon until I get it right.

Thanks again everyone for your help. Hope to see you all on the water!!

Take care.

-Spydey

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Well, that's some pretty good info to have!

If you find yourself wanting something a bit nicer than your Okuma - I gotta give a thumbs up for the Ross Flywater reels. The guys at Kaufmann's helped me pick one out for my 3/4 weight many moons ago. I like the mid-arbor design on the Flywater, it's got a disc drag (not that I've ever really needed such a nice drag on that rod), it's quiet, it's really sturdy in construction. The biggest difference between the Flywater and their more expensive reels is the finish - the Flywater uses a baked on polymer "painted" finish - instead of an anodized finish. I've had my flywater for 5 years now - and it's never given me a reason to regret my purchase of it. It's banged into rocks, bounced around the bottom of more than a few boats, it's gotten sand in it (always cleaned out though)... the finish still looks mostly new. I think there may be a few chips and scratches, but just a few.

Oh hey - there is one trick with the Okuma, if you prefer a silent reel (I prefer my fly reels be totally silent, but muffled clicks are OK. Some reels sound like chain saws, which annoys me). You can disable the clicker, without loosing the drag tension for feeding line. The clicker is located at the bottom of the reel's main gear (spool off). Use a pair of foreceps to pull the spring off the two ears on either side of the gear. Rotate the triangular clicker out of the way. Reinstall the spring. Takes about 30 seconds after you pop the spool off. You now have a completely silent reel without loosing functionality.

G
GDBrown
If it becomes an issue that looses fish you might concider just changing out the base portion (feet) of the reel with one that meets the new specs. I've seen that done several times recently.

S
Spydeyrch
GDBrown said:
If it becomes an issue that looses fish you might concider just changing out the base portion (feet) of the reel with one that meets the new specs. I've seen that done several times recently.

That is a great idea!! I will have to look into how much that is going to cost. Shouldn't bee to much. Thanks!

-Spydey

G
GDBrown
Spydeyrch said:
That is a great idea!! I will have to look into how much that is going to cost. Shouldn't bee to much. Thanks!

-Spydey

You may be able to get one cheep at a garage sale. most reels have the same screw pattern from what I've seen.