Rain helping the fishing?

K
kwikfisher
Still hoping for a Chinook or two more on the Siuslaw, any indication that more good fishing is in store? Have been hunting, so that has been taking up my outdoors time. Worthwhile to fish this week?

G
Gulfstream
always worth a try! Can' catch em at home!:)

K
kwikfisher
Gulfstream said:
always worth a try! Can' catch em at home!:)
That's the problem, I catch the most and biggest on my couch at home! The actual fishing on the river, not so much....

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
friend got a chinook on the lower river yesterday, not sure exact location but he launched out of Florence. with the early high tides this week and rain, good chance of fresh fish coming in, I am hoping to get out and try for them at least one or two mornings later this week...

I checked the Siltcoos river again Tuesday morning and there is no sign of any coho in the lower river yet, 20 hungry seals at the mouth but no sign of any coho trying to get into the river. it appears that the entire Siltcoos run is still out in the ocean as of 10/20!

K
kwikfisher
rogerdodger said:
friend got a chinook on the lower river yesterday, not sure exact location but he launched out of Florence. with the early high tides this week and rain, good chance of fresh fish coming in, I am hoping to get out and try for them at least one or two mornings later this week...

I checked the Siltcoos river again Tuesday morning and there is no sign of any coho in the lower river yet, 20 hungry seals at the mouth but no sign of any coho trying to get into the river. it appears that the entire Siltcoos run is still out in the ocean as of 10/20!

Does the dam need to open with a lot of new rain water to get the needed rush at the ocean?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kwikfisher said:
Does the dam need to open with a lot of new rain water to get the needed rush at the ocean?

no, the lower river is basically tidewater right up to the dam, it goes up and down with the tides and although the mouth is shallow and long at low tide, at anything near high tide the fish can get into the river real easy.

the dam has a fish ladder that the cutthroat and coho use just fine. there have been cutthroat coming in since August. if there are a bunch of coho coming up the river and concentrating below the dam as they work their way through the ladder, and then they increase the spillway opening ("open the dam") it lets a bunch of fish surge into the lake and the fishing gets real good for a few days. so if their aren't a bunch of fish sitting below the dam, no big surge into the lake.

so once the run gets going, there is a steady flow of fish into the lake and coho get caught. a "dam opening" event, once the run is underway, can result is a bunch of fish coming in and people will remember the next few days as really good fishing...roger

jamisonace
jamisonace
Siuslaw is worth a shot. Poke around. You'll find fish.

Reports and personal experience since last Thursday have been good to great.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
Siuslaw is worth a shot. Poke around. You'll find fish.

Reports and personal experience since last Thursday have been good to great.

I agree, from what I am hearing, you will probably find lots of wild coho to release but there seem to be plenty of chinook around...roger

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Saw a hog at low slack this morning caught!

G
getsdwyz
rogerdodger said:

Thanks for the update Roger hoping the Coho show up in the next couple weeks i have a two week vacation coming up and i plan on being at the lake during that time :D
i was in town yesterday and looked and the water table at west lake and the ruler measured just over 7 foot the rumor is they will open the dam after it hits 8 foot not sure what the truth is to that ?
any ways prey for more Coho Nectar (RAIN)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
getsdwyz said:
Thanks for the update Roger hoping the Coho show up in the next couple weeks i have a two week vacation coming up and i plan on being at the lake during that time :D
i was in town yesterday and looked and the water table at west lake and the ruler measured just over 7 foot the rumor is they will open the dam after it hits 8 foot not sure what the truth is to that ?
any ways prey for more Coho Nectar (RAIN)

I think you are about right, my observation fishing Siltcoos since 2011 is that the lake is "full" right now and they open the dam when it gets about a foot more water in it...

we are going to try for some fresh chinook on the lower Siuslaw Friday and perhaps through the weekend...got some nice herring ready and late-morning high tides, just need some fish to make it a party!

K
kwikfisher
rogerdodger said:
I think you are about right, my observation fishing Siltcoos since 2011 is that the lake is "full" right now and they open the dam when it gets about a foot more water in it...

we are going to try for some fresh chinook on the lower Siuslaw Friday and perhaps through the weekend...got some nice herring ready and late-morning high tides, just need some fish to make it a party!

Post a report about your fishing today, if you would. If I juggle, twist some arms, I might be able to fish Saturday. An action packed Roger Dodger fishing story might do the trick to push me into action!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kwikfisher said:
Post a report about your fishing today, if you would. If I juggle, twist some arms, I might be able to fish Saturday. An action packed Roger Dodger fishing story might do the trick to push me into action!

we headed for the CG station looking for fresh chinook. we didn't find any and didn't see any fish hooked between the crabbing dock and 101 bridge; I didn't mark any large fish in the lower river today at high slack. good crabbing, dropped just my collapsing ProMar trap and had 2 nice keepers first pull and 1 more the second time, called that good and headed for Siltcoos where I have still not seen a single coho jump/roll/splash yet this year.

going to try up by Cushman tomorrow...

K
kwikfisher
Thanks Roger! I will go hunting instead....

B
billfisher
Glad you got some crab at least. Thanks for keeping us posted.

G
getsdwyz
rogerdodger said:
we headed for the CG station looking for fresh chinook. we didn't find any and didn't see any fish hooked between the crabbing dock and 101 bridge; I didn't mark any large fish in the lower river today at high slack. good crabbing, dropped just my collapsing ProMar trap and had 2 nice keepers first pull and 1 more the second time, called that good and headed for Siltcoos where I have still not seen a single coho jump/roll/splash yet this year.

going to try up by Cushman tomorrow...

Good luck I'm going to siltcoos in the morning to try some cutthroat fishing

S
steelhead_stalkers
I doubt coho will be any good this year in siltcoos. The numbers were not very good on the Slaw or other coastal rivers around. There are decent numbers in the river (we hooked 8 three days ago) but for this time of year the numbers are not great. Just not a good coho year, great for Chinook though.

G
Gary W
I usually fish the umpqua because I live in Winchester Bay day before Yesterday my DW lost a large chinook but we never saw it. It took the leader off the end of the flasher but did not leave the knot so I guess I did not get it tied good enough but it was a monster hit. Last week we could not keep the silvers off our hooks. They were all wild fish so I quit fishing because I did not want to catch and release. I am in the hunt now. I am also waiting for siltcoos to get a few more silvers. We got one 28# chinook last month in the Siuslaw upriver where the slough cuts off from the river above the dairy hole. There were so many boats up there I almost got sea sick in flat water.