Questions, questions, and questions

plumbertom
plumbertom
Look, I know I'm a pest with all I ever seem to post is more questions about what the heck I'm supposed to do, But, I have more to ask.
If I ever figure out what I'm doing and catch something, I'll be more than happy to post a real report.
As I understand it, pink fin perch (also called redtail surf perch?) are showing in Winchester Bay.
Now Today I intend to put my small (16') jon boat on Fern ridge to see how it runs this season.
I've had to remove the power trim because of serious leakage and until I get it fixed I'll be using a trim stop to set the attack angle and adjusting it will be the effort for today.
If all goes well, I'd like to take it to the Bay and try a day of perch fishing.
I think I've got the rigging understood and bait seems pretty straight forward.
But I've only been in Reedsport one time other than just driving through and that was for a lunch stop.
What I need is an idea of the general area to fish on that rather large bay.
I also need to know the location of the closest launch ramp to the area to fish.
So unless someone is brave enough to join me on an excursion for perch fishing to show me the ropes, I hope you will share this information.

plumbertom
plumbertom
The boat did well so I'm ready to hit the water. I'm pretty sure I'd like to go when the wind is slower than today's, though.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I have no experience in Winchester Bay, but I have done a lot of jigging for perch in Coos Bay. I always seem to do the best when I am around structure. A lot of the time we will loosely tie up to an abandoned pier and jig around it. Sorry I am not more help. If you were headed to Coos Bay then I could provide you with a couple of locations and launches.

Reactions: plumbertom
P
pinstriper
Pink fins and Redtails are different fish. You will find silvers too. All qualify.

Beware the ones that look too big to be true: it could be a female carrying a load of spawn. I know a guy who had 15 of them come out of a fish as he landed her. You wouldn't want to find them when cleaning her. Those you should let go to spawn.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Seems a difficult to even find out where to launch or once on the water which way to go.
For all the times I've read about people fishing for these fish, it amazes me that people are so tight lipped about where to find them.
I've been searching the info online and it appears there's a ramp at Salmon Harbor.
Looks to be another at Reedsport proper just upriver from the RR Bridge.
Still that information while useful doesn't get me any closer to the right area to find the fish.

P
pinstriper
plumbertom;n604821 said:
Seems a difficult to even find out where to launch or once on the water which way to go.
For all the times I've read about people fishing for these fish, it amazes me that people are so tight lipped about where to find them.
I've been searching the info online and it appears there's a ramp at Salmon Harbor.
Looks to be another at Reedsport proper just upriver from the RR Bridge.
Still that information while useful doesn't get me any closer to the right area to find the fish.

I've never been to where you are, and all my perch fishing is in the surf. Pretty much pick a spot. I go to Gearhart/Ft. Stevens, Lincoln City, Netarts, Newport, Agate Beach, etc. It isn't so much knowing a spot as knowing when they're there. The only way to do that is...go. If you catch fish, you know they where there, then.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Looking at Google Earth I can see the ramp just upriver from the rail road bridge. It looks to be a public ramp. If you want a little closer to the mouth, which might mean a little rougher water, then there is West Basin. I am not sure how far the perch come into the bay.

plumbertom
plumbertom
pinstriper;n604823 said:
I've never been to where you are, and all my perch fishing is in the surf. Pretty much pick a spot. I go to Gearhart/Ft. Stevens, Lincoln City, Netarts, Newport, Agate Beach, etc. It isn't so much knowing a spot as knowing when they're there. The only way to do that is...go. If you catch fish, you know they where there, then.

Yeah, I've tried that a few times.
I was thinking I'd be able to do okay fishing the surf.
I was pretty accomplished at it fishing In SoCal along the Malibu, Point Dume, and Zuma beaches that were just 20 minutes from my home there.
But so far my attempts here have yielded little fruit.
And it a +70 mile drive from Eugene to the beach which I can't do every day. Having funds for the fuel costs on a fixed income are a bit restricting.
Which sort of explains why I spend more time trying to gather information from those willing to share it than I do actually getting out and wetting my line.
I'm just trying to learn as much as I can to maximize my opportunity if possible.
There's also the issue of my inability to walk the long distances to many fishing areas.
I can tolerate fishing from my boat much better, if I can only find out where to use it.

plumbertom
plumbertom
TheKnigit;n604831 said:
Looking at Google Earth I can see the ramp just upriver from the rail road bridge. It looks to be a public ramp. If you want a little closer to the mouth, which might mean a little rougher water, then there is West Basin. I am not sure how far the perch come into the bay.

Yeah, there are two ramps at Salmon Harbor Marina, Ran by Douglas County. The fees are a reasonable $5, maybe even just $4 with the Oregon over 65 discount, which I qualify for. But as you indicated How far into the Bay would be the best fishing areas? It's only about 1-1/2 mile from looking at Google maps to the mouth of the breakwater from the Marina. But the question becomes, "Do you go up or down river"? I've seen a number of photos post that seem to have the dunes in the background. That would indicate just a mile or so upriver from that launch.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I'm thinking I'll have to just go ant give it a shot. I think maybe somewhere just upriver from the Salmon Harbor marina will be a good start. I see on the Nav charts that there's is a channel marker #12 and that's about as good a place to try blind as any. There's is a guy at the Stockade bait shop by the marina named Pete Heley that publishes and sells fishing maps to many area locations. In fact I'm sure I have one or two of his publications around, His blog even says give him a call. But for me, I'd have to visit the store because I'm too deaf to use a phone so F2F communications are the only way I do things. Maybe some of those fresh sand shrimp that are claimed to be the best pink fin bait would be available there.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I have a buddy here at the office who just gave me a little bit of information that might be helpful. He tends to put in at the West Basin Marina, motor out into the bay and head up river. He said anywhere along the West bank where the bay starts to make a large sweeping left hand turn is pretty good. Kind of across river from the 3 coves there. He said that he has also caught them as far up river as Gardiner, but hasn't tried fishing for them any farther up than that. Try and hold to between 10' and 20' of water if you have a fish/depth sounder. You might be able to put in at the boat launch at Gardiner and fish around that island there.

P
pinstriper
plumbertom said:
Yeah, I've tried that a few times.
I was thinking I'd be able to do okay fishing the surf.
I was pretty accomplished at it fishing In SoCal along the Malibu, Point Dume, and Zuma beaches that were just 20 minutes from my home there.
But so far my attempts here have yielded little fruit.
And it a +70 mile drive from Eugene to the beach which I can't do every day. Having funds for the fuel costs on a fixed income are a bit restricting.
Which sort of explains why I spend more time trying to gather information from those willing to share it than I do actually getting out and wetting my line.
I'm just trying to learn as much as I can to maximize my opportunity if possible.
There's also the issue of my inability to walk the long distances to many fishing areas.
I can tolerate fishing from my boat much better, if I can only find out where to use it.

I would recommend checking the conditions and only fish when the surf is below 4', and the wind is below 10kts.

This last weekend there were 4 lines of breakers. I started casting to reach the farthest, and was getting no action except when the surf pushed my lead in to about the first break line. So I started casting shorter - just trying to drop it between the second and third breakers.

What started happening was my line wasn't being pulled to the side anymore, and I started getting bites. Lots of bites. This was also with about an hour left of rising tide.

How much of that was learning where and when to cast, versus coincidence with the school arriving ? Beats me.

Beyond that, all I can offer is the observation that it is fishing, not catching. For me, taking the drive and fishing is its own reward, whether I get any bites at all, or not. Catching is more fun, of course, but repeated failure doesn't stop me.

Here's a place that looks fishy. It it the shortest drive from Eugene, and a short walk.

https://goo.gl/maps/A7Vnr28uVm82

plumbertom
plumbertom
LOL, Did you check your link?
It's not that I don't appreciate just being out.
But I always prefer to have some hope of Maximizing the enjoyment of the few trips I can get out for.
What I'm after is finding the best expectation or opportunity of catching fish.
Not necessarily actually catching them. Although I do like to.
If I feel as if I have little chance of success, then I'm far less likely to go.

plumbertom
plumbertom
TheKnigit;n604835 said:
I have a buddy here at the office who just gave me a little bit of information that might be helpful. He tends to put in at the West Basin Marina, motor out into the bay and head up river. He said anywhere along the West bank where the bay starts to make a large sweeping left hand turn is pretty good. Kind of across river from the 3 coves there. He said that he has also caught them as far up river as Gardiner, but hasn't tried fishing for them any farther up than that. Try and hold to between 10' and 20' of water if you have a fish/depth sounder. You might be able to put in at the boat launch at Gardiner and fish around that island there.
WestBasin is the same as Salmon Harbor? If so that fits with what I have been thinking as the Dunes are in fact are along that stretch of west river bank.
And yes, I do have a fairly new down imaging sonar and although I'm still learning how to use it, I can tell the water depth with no problem.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
To my knowledge West Basin and Salmon Harbor are the same place. Good luck and I hope to see some photos here soon.

P
pinstriper
plumbertom said:
LOL, Did you check your link?
It's not that I don't appreciate just being out.
But I always prefer to have some hope of Maximizing the enjoyment of the few trips I can get out for.
What I'm after is finding the best expectation or opportunity of catching fish.
Not necessarily actually catching them. Although I do like to.
If I feel as if I have little chance of success, then I'm far less likely to go.

Oy !

No, it was a hole just off a parking lot in Florence.

I will effort a better link....

plumbertom
plumbertom
pinstriper;n604844 said:
Oy !

No, it was a hole just off a parking lot in Florence.

I will effort a better link....

Ya know, I think I found it from that.