Questions on quality/durability of fly lines

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
20lb backing is plenty strong enough for anything upto an 8 weight rod, honestly. In my experience, at least the better fly lines out there usually test out around or above 30lb. And remember that a fly line is a bit stretchy - not like typical braided line (most fly lines are braided core, though there are a number of monofilament core lines out). Stretchy line effectively adds lb. test to your entire set up. The longer length of stretchy line you've got out, the more effectively this does so. If you're fishing a monofilament leader/tippet, you've got stretch there. More so if you're using a braided leader or leader butt. Then you've got natural stretch of the fly line. If a fish does happen to take you into your backing - you've got typically 100' or so of stretchy line out there before you get to the non-stretching dacron backing. The only real concerns at this point are the fish wrapping your line around an unseen snag and thus snapping your line, or the fish breaking you off/throwing the hook. You won't loose your fly line unless your backing to fly line connection sucks, or the fish finds a sharp snag to cut your line off. That doesn't happen a lot - even for salt water fishers who find themselves fishing over sharp stuff all the time.

One way to minimizing coiling is to upgrade reels from standard arbor to a mid or large arbor design. Half of my reels at this point are mid arbor/large arbor, and as I replace old reels with new ones, they get replaced with the larger arbor reels. The larger arbor also gives you the slight advantage of winding more line on w/ each turn of the reel, so if you DO get a hot fish on, you gain line more quickly than you would with a standard arbor reel.

P
psguardian
Ok time to branch out... Are there any cheap, large arbor, fly reels that are worth buying?

~psguardian

M
Metoman
How cheap? whats your budget?

P
psguardian
Metoman said:
How cheap? whats your budget?
Well... My thread shows that i'm having trouble affording $20 & $30 fly line. Lets go with the cheapest large arbor that won't break on the water, & still have interchangeable spools.

It will have to be a later upgrade, but we're on the topic (or close enough) now, so I figure i'll pick peoples brains now lol.

~psguardian

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Cabela's Prestige Plus runs about $30.00 when it's on sale. It's a mid arbor, all metal reel with a disc drag. Way more than you need for trout & bass, but the all metal construction and mid arbor design are worth it. The Cortland CDM regularly sells for $30-40 as it's normal price, and drops down to $25-30 on sale. It's very much like the Prestige Plus - it's a mid arbor, all metal, disc drag reel.

Rajeff Sports has a reel that regular price is $35 that is mid arbor, disc drag. It's got a cast aluminum frame, but a plastic spool. If I could bring myself to using a plastic spooled fly reel again, it'd probably be that one.

Honestly though - you might want to bump your budget up a bit - might need to save for it - but you CAN pick up good reels for $50-100 that are either mid or large arbor designs. eBay is good for getting used stuff. You can check Big 5 to see if any of them are still closing out their Okuma Vashon reels (some stores had them, some didn't.). These regularly sell for $99 - I bought my 3/4 weight on close out for $44.99. You'll need the Vashon 5/6, but I'm sure you can find a deal somewhere. I wouldn't be afraid to buy used.

M
Metoman
Definitely don't skimp on the reel. Check out the Echo Ion, probably the best bang for your buck. And at $79.99, you can't get much more affordable than that for a quality reel.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
If you want to look at the Ion in person, go see Don at River City. He had some in stock the other day when I picked up my switch rod from him.