Questions about catching some triploids

T
tomriker
thanks, im kind of a fair weather fisherman so once it stops raining ill go out and give it a shot :D

G
GDBrown
If you put in Triploids 5 years ago I'm wondering how long they live? Since they don't (can't) reproduce are there still any in the pond or have they all died OFF?

H
halibuthitman
GDBrown said:
If you put in Triploids 5 years ago I'm wondering how long they live? Since they don't (can't) reproduce are there still any in the pond or have they all died OFF?
12-15 yrs... not reproducing means their systems are never taxed by that endeavour, and they have a different metabolisum-

H
halibuthitman
Predation, poisoning from shallow water/tempatures/weedbeds and infectious parasites are really the only thing these fish have to worry about.. the pond is 50 ft deep in parts, so the fish may have had an ok survival rate-

G
GDBrown
In that case how and where do I apply for fishing rights to the pond? I'll even bring my boat with an open seat!

T
tomriker
we are down there ALL the time in the winter/spring/summer im sure if there were a bunch dying we'd see em floating around before the eagles or catfish got em. sorry brown i've already got half a dozen people lined up to take fishing for now but ill let ya know if anything opens up

Y
youngbuck307
Think he just said something about a off get together lol jk jk! But was just thinking to myself dang this guys pm box is probably filling up faster then he can empty it!!!! Good luck on ur trout keep us in the loop about how u do once weather turns around.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
tomriker said:
we are down there ALL the time in the winter/spring/summer im sure if there were a bunch dying we'd see em floating around before the eagles or catfish got em. sorry brown i've already got half a dozen people lined up to take fishing for now but ill let ya know if anything opens up

You might not actually see evidence of dead fish, unless they died in very shallow water relatively rcently to your seeing them. Dead fish don't float for long, if at all. Just like dead humans, they tend to sink to the bottom. If you've ever gone fishing toward the tail end of salmon or steelhead fishing, you'll notice that the dead fish are just sitting there among the rocks or wood on the river bottom - not bobbing around like so many fleshy, well, bobbers.

The fish are probably there, just in the deeper hiding places.