Plunking rod questions?

K
KCox
A buddy of mine asked me to put ogether a plunking rod to use on the Skagit River. I know next to nothing about plunking, and he knows barely a hair more so I have a couple questions.

I found a 9' 15-30 lb blank for a decent price that says it can throw 3/4-4 oz.

Will this be sufficient to toss a plunking rig?

What is the average weight range used for plunking?

Thanks,

Kelley

Chromatose
Chromatose
Run with it, do a Spiral Wrap!

K
KCox
Cool thanks Chromatose,

I have heard amazing things about spiral wraps! I really want to try it, I guess ill just have to buy two blanks and spiral wrap one for myself.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
No Title

I buy and collect older stuff, this is a graphite 8 foot Shakespeare bought for 4 bucks and an indestructible Mitchell Garcia 1965 vintage 300 with the upgraded later aluminum spool circa 1970, total cost 12 bucks minus line! Most new stuff is built in China and the quality is well !

• photo30987.jpg
  • photo30988.jpg
Reactions: KCox
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
That reel is 57 years old and spins like new and will last another 50 years easy and the drag is awesome!

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
GaryP1958;n601333 said:
I buy and collect older stuff, this is a graphite 8 foot Shakespeare bought for 4 bucks and an indestructible Mitchell Garcia 1965 vintage 300 with the upgraded later aluminum spool circa 1970, total cost 12 bucks minus line! Most new stuff is built in China and the quality is well !

Now that is a heck of a find!

K
KCox
That rod is awesome Gary!! I am on the hunt for a couple older reels for 15-20 lb line, got any recommendations on where to look?

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Well Goodwill, St Vinnies, second hand stores! I got 2 of the gold anodized Penn reels the best ever made for I think like 8 bucks apiece! They sell on e bay for over a 100 bucks! You can't beat the old French made Mitchells they are fantastic!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
With the modern braid lines you can use even small reels as the line is so thin that it they will hold 150 yards. Thats a lot of line and the way I look at it if a fish can take that much from me he won!

K
KCox
GaryP1958;n601433 said:
Thats a lot of line and the way I look at it if a fish can take that much from me he won!

HAHA sounds like you have the right idea Gary.

I will have to check out the second hand stores that sounds like a better option, I haven't had too much luck on craigslist with finding reels.
I can find them on there, but then actually getting them into my hands seems to be another story!