Perch days

D
dcarbonari
cdumitru78;n608900 said:
They were bitting today, I got 9, all good size. I started around 7.30, done before 10. I had to move around a bit to find them, but once I did I even had a double on. Weather was perfect! Get out there and catch some!

Were you out by Cannon Beach? I've been thinking of taking a day trip out there to get some.

C
cdumitru78
Google Ocean Point Inn, I literally fish right in front of it, pretty sheltered area, and I walk up and down there until I find them. The other area mentioned in this thread is also quite good and has some nice holes as well.

T
troutfisher
Got a late start on Sunday and on top of that the roads coming from the valley were icy so took it slow. Only caught the high slack but managed 2 small Silver Perch that I let go and one OK sized Red fin that came home with me. The Surf Perch Skunk is gone!

Now I just need to do it more often to get better at it! All my fish hit the bottom hook so I'm thinking I need to tie the top hook a little closer. Weight to bottom hook distance was about 12"

Casting Call
Casting Call
tf let know when ur in the area next time. We'll walk the beach and see if we can you a few fish for some home made fish tacos. Tony

C
cdumitru78
Casting Call;n608857 said:
Looks like Fri-Sat-Sun are perfect AM high tides and low swells. Sunday looks like a glass day. Depoe Bay "Fishing Rock" here I come. Tony

What is the best website to check for swells? I know where to check tides, but swells, harder to find a good website.

B
Big Nigiri
Thanks everyone for the information, much appreciated.

L
LingFace
I use magicseaweed to check the surf and tide forecast. They show the surf height by hour as well as swell height, period and direction with wind speed and direction. My fishing spot is a few miles from Newport so I use Newport as the location, but they have these reports for pretty much anywhere the surfers go.

Anybody have water clarity and seaweed figured out? It's a 90 minute drive for me and a couple times I showed up to Depoe Bay and the seaweed was insufferable.

B
Big Nigiri
We did awesome out of Florence today. Thanks for everyone's advice!!

Reactions: LingFace
L
LingFace
Had some luck out of Depoe bay. The lings were aggressive but all under size. I retained a couple greenling though. Yummy.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Sunday the 11th of Feb. has a good high tide at 8:30am of 3 to 6 foot waves. Any takers? Tony

B
Big Nigiri
Sorry if this has been talked about before, but what is the "best" rod to use for surf perch? I have been told 9-10 ft. with a fast action. I am not sure what that means. Could someone please recommend a specific rod? That way I can go into the store and give them the wiggle test, lol.