Pacific Mackerel in Oregon?

M
madoc
Howdy all,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether Pacific Mackerel run nearshore along the Oregon coast? If so, where are good spots to go after them?

F
Fish Fight
They do come into our waters. In years past there have reports as far north as Vancouver Island.
There was a report a few days ago of a boat getting into them at the rock pile. There seems to be a lot of warm water heading our way. An exotic was already caught in NoCal and confirmed tuna caught 52 miles off of the CR. Once the wind machine dies off there will be a lot of sport boats going out and I'm sure there will be many reports and stories.

Don't know of any bank areas that have them though.

B
beaverfan
About 10-15 years ago I used to spend a couple weeks a summer up in Barclay Sound off the west coast of Vancouver Island fishing for Kings. We would hook into several Mackerel a day up there while trolling Apex lures for the Salmon. That was in late August early September.

S
Shadelady
can they be caught from shore? or do you need a boat? what kind of bait / lure? i love mackeral

O
osmosis
never heard of them caught from shore up here in OR, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. We catch them every year trolling hootchies for coho out of newport and we're only a couple miles out.

T
Troutier Bassier
In Cali you could fish for them from Shore.

S
Shadelady
we saw a boat that i am not sure we can live without. called on it and too bad they havent called back yet. it would be ocean worthy and we cold really have a good time.