Outboard mechanic recommendations

S
Slick
I live near Longview and am looking for someone to do some lower unit work on a 40 hp Honda outboard. I will go to Portland if I have to but I was looking for someone closer if there is someone. Any help? Thanks, Slick

H
hvacr1
If I may ask what kind of work are you looking to have done on the lower unit. What kind of symptoms are you experiencing with the lower end unless you already know whats wrong with it.

S
Slick
I'm having problems getting it to go into reverse. Then if it does it won't come out. Sometimes you push the lever into reverse and it doesn't go right away then it will pop in.

H
hvacr1
Slick said:
I'm having problems getting it to go into reverse. Then if it does it won't come out. Sometimes you push the lever into reverse and it doesn't go right away then it will pop in.
I am no boat mechanic but I do a fair bit of work on my own stuff but this sounds like a linkage somewhere is out of adjustment. Is this a tiller or remote driven motor? Hopefully you have been changing out your lower end oil every year for winterization and water impeller every 3- 5 years. I personally would pop the drain plug on the very bottom of the lower end (usually just need a flat head screw driver) which is your oil fill port for the lower end. What this is going to tell you is if the oil comes out very milky or cloudy or separated means you have seal leak issues and water is getting in and oil is going out which = lack of lubrication = lower end failures. Either from your vertical input shaft to the lower end, your output shaft to the prop or its your packing around your bearing housing and shift linkage on the lower end or it could be as simple as your upper oil level vent port or the drain plug leaking. Also this plug will most likely have a magnet on the end of it. You should have at the very most very small fine metal deposits from normal wear and tear. Now if you see some real long metal hairs or chunks I would be looking for a new lower unit and a water pump assembly. If you pull the plug on the upper and or the lower these both have gaskets. They are not reusable I repeat they are not reusable. These are crush gaskets and only good for one tightening so make sure you have more if your going to do this. Sorry for the long post you may already know this stuff. But I would at least check the lower end oil condition, metal shavings on drain plug, and also make sure your linkage hasn,t come loose or out of adjustment. The shift linkage is at the top of the lower end unit facing the transom of the boat. It is usually a large brass or stainless steel nut and a lock nut connected to a threaded rod. Just trying to give you an idea before you bring it down to the stealership lol.

S
stream2.5
its either linkage adjustment, or a failing forward gear bearing that is walking out stopping clutch movement to engauge reverse in the lower its self