Oregon State Marine Board

F
fish face
Is anybody else have trouble navigating through the Oregon State Marine Board computer system? All I want to do is renew my registration, but it say that there are no license(s) to renew. Very confusing.

T
twout
Yes. Had to call them. They are having issues with the "new system". A week later I received a letter with a password indicating I will receive the username when they send my renewal letter. Current registration will be extended until the end of January.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I did mine about 2 weeks ago and it was fast and easy, hopefully the bugs get smoothed out quickly for everyone.

did you guys already have on-line accounts with them? I had set mine up last year when I renewed my PA12, maybe if you already had registered it rolled right into the new system...

Last edited by a moderator:
F
fish face
First time using it. Frustrating.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Sign up for Obamacare then when you there hit back space 3 times then hit the bottom key I heard it worked for somebody!

D
DrTheopolis
I did a title transfer on my little rigid inflatable in early September. Still haven't seen it yet.

E
eat, sleep, fish
If you've moved you have to enter the address that the boat was registered under originally. If you don't then it won't show up and you have to call them.

EOBOY
EOBOY
twout said:
Yes. Had to call them. They are having issues with the "new system". A week later I received a letter with a password indicating I will receive the username when they send my renewal letter. Current registration will be extended until the end of January.
Got the same letter today.............waiting oh so anxiously for that "user name" hope it's a good one.

EOBOY

G
Gary W
I bought a new boat in 2012 it was a 2013 smokercraft. I got checked in waldport at the alsea and received a warning for being 60 days over on my temporary. I had to call the marine board and they gave me the same story in 2013. Now I traded that boat in for my current boat I purchased from Y-Marine. They sent the paperwork in It was already licensed for two years so I am just waiting for registration. I bought the boat on the 5th of october 2015 looks like I gotta call them again. Wonder how long it takes them to get the new system set up. I think as much as I hate DMV maybe they should take over the marine board.

G
Gary W
OK I just called the Marine Board again and she told me to check back in two more months that the county's are aware they are behind on registrations. Already been 4 months now I wait for two more and if I do not hear from them I call back again? Beginning to be not funny. Good thing my tags are good to; 2017

F
fish face
Gary W said:
. Good thing my tags are good to; 2017

Yea, mine are not. Your are absolutely right when you say it's past being funny. It's annoying to go through this just to renew my boat tags. Maybe the marine board needs to be privatized.

F
fish face
Okay here's the thing. I called the marine board and it turns out that I created an account that wasn't necessary. So that was the reason that there are no license(s) to renew. The person I talked to was very polite (and so was I) and she said that she will merge the accounts together and has already done about 50 that day. In addition (according to the marine board) if I'm willing to wait I will received a renewal notice in the mail. For those who like on-line, you will have to call for a PIN number.

Hopes this helps a little.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
fish face said:
Okay here's the thing. I called the marine board and it turns out that I created an account that wasn't necessary. So that was the reason that there are no license(s) to renew. The person I talked to was very polite (and so was I) and she said that she will merge the accounts together and has already done about 50 that day. In addition (according to the marine board) if I'm willing to wait I will received a renewal notice in the mail. For those who like on-line, you will have to call for a PIN number.

Hopes this helps a little.

that makes sense, when I renewed mine in early January, it was the old system that I had created an account the previous year. After reading your post I realized that the letter I got with my password and announcing a new system came about a week later, about the time my '17 decals arrived. Sounds like I got lucky by renewing mine just a day or 2 before the system change snafu...

G
Gary W
I did not create an account however I received a notice with my old boat a year or so ago. Y-Marine submitted the paperwork for the boat I just purchased in October. They used my address and I have just been waiting. I have moved since I was notified on the other boat. When I called yesterday she did not mention having to have an account.

H
HereFishy
This might not be an option for most.. But I went to the Marine Board office (downtown Salem) and was in and out in 10 minutes. I payed what I had to pay for the "Skeeter Eater"(my bass boat), and was on my way. Even though the dealership that I bought my boat from was dragging their feet (9 months of dragging their feet). I was basically told, "the dealership should have processed all of the paperwork from their end MONTHS ago" I left the Marine Board thinking, "WTF Mel's Marine?!" It wasn't 4 business days later, I had literally every scrap of paperwork in my mailbox.. Registration, registration stickers, title, etc.. In my experience, the Marine Board gets s#!t done.. That's what they do... I have never had any complaints...

H
HereFishy
And before anyone thinks that I'm trying to bash Mel's Marine... There are countless local (Salem) dealerships that I could have bought a used boat from.. I did my due diligence and Mel's Marine is THE PLACE to buy a boat from.. Used or new (they have GANGSTER new boats). The new boats were little out of my price range.. But anyone wanting a quality boat would be stupid to not check out Mel's Marine...

Last edited:
H
HereFishy
That was not a payed endorsement.. But if anyone from Mel's is on this forum, I'll take and use that sparkling 20' Ranger (the one with the 250hp Merc) to put out the good word....

P.S. I am very active in local tournaments. I'll get your name out there..

P.P.S. I INTEND to be active in local tournaments... C'mon... Just give me a boat. .

Last edited:
M
martin s.
Yes , they are a little under staffed...

G
Gary W
short handed or mismanaged?

short handed or mismanaged?

martin s. said:
Yes , they are a little under staffed...

They told me the same story on my new to me boat and the boat I purchased in December 2014. They claimed they had a new computer system and were trying to work out the bugs. The first boat I patiently waited til I got a county inspection and produced my expired temporary permit. It was about 4 months after I purchased the boat. I called them and they sent me a sticker and registration within a few days. I purchased another boat on October 5th 2015. I called them in January 2016 and they said it usually takes about 6 months call back in March. They again said they had a new computer system and things were slow. I finally received my registration 2 days ago so it took 7 months and 6 days. Thank God I already had current tags. I may have to make a trip to salem next year when my tags expire. I sent a message to DeFazio explained what was going on and never heard back from him. All part of our disfunctional government. I live in the state of Jefferson.

I
igot_it
Just an update....went in yesterday and got things squared away. Turns out they had multiple accounts for me as well. Tags were mailed to the old addresses and returned to Salem. They were able to fix it all and get me one set of tags that still had a year on it. I also received a renewal for the other boat. The lady at the desk was very helpful. She explained thAt most of the issues came from owners who had multiple addresses in the system. Apparently if you register to the online site with a different address it starts a new customer record and chaos ensues. If you call they can merge your accounts and Mail any outstanding tags. It is still taking longer than usual due to the staff having to try and fix all the issues. Anyway call them. Or visit.