Operation: Structure

F
Finneus Polebender
Well after the sucsessful christmas tree campaign of 2011 we are gonna step things up a bit and hope for more of the same! Within a couple months of dropping the trees last year we hammered fish in em. This year its christmas trees , and brush piles. Going to string up large bundles of branches and sink them using planter poured cement weights . Even gonna put floats on the brush piles to mark em. TT dropped by some xmas trees today gonna start making preperations on sunday for the operation. Any ideas for cover would be great as long as they arent junk , and any one who might want to help ... well they would get a chance to fish em...... daves cam all to 12-11 026.jpg The Tractor pond is so barron in spots the fish are really drawn in by any cover , will be fun to see how it all fishes.....daves cam all to 12-11 626.jpgdaves cam all to 12-11 103.jpg Think we will spread them out in different depth areas for this year. Again learnin as I go so anyone who knows the answers speak up! PM me if ya want to help thx FP

S
salmon_slayer87
I was watching a bass fishing show a couple years ago...the guy used a wood pallet as a base. Then screwed a handful of 2x3's into the pallet to make the cover. Then they attached a float to it. Seemed to work for him.
Good luck,
Dale

F
Finneus Polebender
salmon_slayer87 said:
I was watching a bass fishing show a couple years ago...the guy used a wood pallet as a base. Then screwed a handful of 2x3's into the pallet to make the cover. Then they attached a float to it. Seemed to work for him.
Good luck,
Dale

Man and I just saw pallets somewhere good idea could see one suspended over a weight w/ stuff coming off think they would totally hide under the pallet.

S
salmon_slayer87
Go to home depot or Lowe's and see if they have any they want to be rid of. I work for Lowe's. Ill see if they have some.
Dale

S
salmon_slayer87
So I asked my boss about the pallets. If you decide to go that route PM me.
I can put some out for you.
Dale

H
hawgcaller
I don't know about the float? Seems like it would have to be attached to something. I think you would be sorely disappointed if you hooked into a beast and it somehow wrapped you around that line. Might just be better to go off memory or the good old jig test.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Have you come up with any sustainable water plants yet? There must be some way to keep them growing in deeper water...and they wouldn't have any chemical residue. You might also check construction sites for left over large sized pvc pipe for them to hide out in...Just tossing ideas at you...

H
hawgcaller
ooh, I like the pvc idea that could be great. Also, a little off topic but what the hey. I watched a mark zona fishing show where he went to some private lake where they had feeders. It was amazing. The fish would show up right at feeding time and just go nuts fish on every cast. better than cover, not only do you know where they are gonna be but when. I bet you could get em all year long there.

C
catfishman89
Bass love rockpiles.

T
tomriker
i have a friend and his dad owns a construction company.. i never thought about getting culvurts from him.. he said when they did out old culvers they can't reuse them.. now to figure out a way to get them where i want em since they aren't exactly light

H
hawgcaller
rock piles too. I have caught a lot of bass off of giant chunks of cement. In one particular rock quarry lake i have fished i did extremely well pulling them off of busted up cement.

B
BaitMyLine
My family has a farm pond and we've tried both rock piles and PVC trees. They both work great! Someone dumped some crappie in his pond (not happy) and they tend to dominate the PVC trees. At least we know where to point the crappie fisherman. We let them take as many as they can out of there.

S
salmon_slayer87
BaitMyLine said:
My family has a farm pond and we've tried both rock piles and PVC trees. They both work great! Someone dumped some crappie in his pond (not happy) and they tend to dominate the PVC trees. At least we know where to point the crappie fisherman. We let them take as many as they can out of there.

Heck...ill fish for the crappie. Where do I sign up lol.
Dale

K
Kevinb5688
Alright, i will let you in on my secret. I am an electrician, and we get a lot of wooden spools of all sizes. ( i have one in the back of my truck now that is 5 feet around).
I sank 10 of those in a gravel pond i fish. 5 with no add ons and 5 with x-mas trees or stick piles cemented in the center. Out of everything i have tried these by far hold more fish than any other structure. I am getting a trailer to haul two 10 foot around by 4 feet high spools for this springs fishing. Go to any graybar or platt and they are more than happy to give you all of there spools. I went to graybar in eugene today and they had 20 or more spools of all different sizes. Very easy to sink in the water without cement too.

H
hawgcaller
That is a good Idea. I could see that being one hell of an ambush site. especially with a fat brush pile on top of it.

R
ryan808
FP, sink a car in there :lol:, just kidding. Looks like you got a planto get things going this year.

S
sherman
FP &TR I would just mark the structure with a fish finder that would give you a leg up on where the bass are if you have a tournament at either pond.

T
tomriker
Could mark em with the gps built into my new Trolling motor :)

F
Finneus Polebender
So many great ideas Thanks !!! the spools are gold , think the markers will be just till we know em well " not lucky enuff to be runnin GPS yet". Gonna get creative with some tree limbs using drill bits and lags go for some large natural structures on a couple at least. Car would be cool if only you could get it clean think TR could be right on sinking some old boats too. Yep Ryan you found out first how well them trees worked last spring just gotta give them somethin to relate too.

Last edited:
P
PNW Sam
Sounds like fun! It's cool to read the ideas you guys have come up with.

I'd offer my help and a few pallets if it wasn't so far - gas gets spendy when I get 12 mpg. :shock:

I'm interested to see how this works out for you.